What Is Lohri?

SikhSpeak

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gurfetah!

I don't know exactly what Lohri is but its only celebrated when a new baby boy arrives in that year - therefore is totally against Sikhi. Why would you celebrate something for boys and not girls?! Sikhi teaches equality!!!

I would stay away from it. Or better still...If Guruji blesses me with a daughter, I will celebrate Lohri for her and invite you tongue.gif hehe

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

I don't think it has any spiritual/religious significance whatsoever. More of a Punjabi cultural thing to celebrate the birth of a boy in the family - though this cultural aspect probably derives from Brahmanism I suspect.

Two GurSikh families I know invited our family for Sukhmani Sahib Paath and Keertan, so they used it as an opportunity for Sangat and remembrance of Waheguroo. Even though Lohri may be a cultural thing, where possible, these things can be used positively for remembering Guroo Sahib.

I take the equality point above - I know GurSikhs in this country who have done Sukhmani Sahib Paath and Keertan on birth of a girl - thereby throwing a spanner into works of the Punjabi mentality. :)

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Waheguroo

Guest Dancing Warrior
Dear all,

I have often wondered (with no one giving me a suitable answer) - What is LOHRI? and Does it have any SIKHI significance (NOT cultural)? I would appreciate it if someone could educate me on this one...

Gurfateh and Thanks!

Lhori or Lori is a cultural festival which mainly takes place in the north of Indian, its roots can be traced back as far as 1000bc originally a pagan festival celebrating the end of the winter solstice . There are several roots to the festival ranging from the concept of mans wielding and forming of precious metals, The legend of Harnikash and Pralan. Also a fable which involved the burning of a bride due to the fact that her parents could not produce enough dowry. If you listen to the folk songs they talk or sing about these ancient legends.

Modern day NeoSikhs take a dim view of such cultural events arguing that celebrating only the birth of a son goes against the grain of Sikhi etc etc the list is boring and endless. However nothing is further then the truth all births were celebrated and also the marriage of a daughter etc.

celebrating lorhi .... actualy the sakhi associated with lorhi ... there was daku dulla in bhatiwal pind ... know as dulla bhati walla .... he was a very cruel man ... and he robbed a house where there was a marriage of two girl sisters sundri and mundri ... there father was crying and was killed by them .... and something happened this that ... but the ending was that daku changed and made that girls there daughter and got them married this cultural story behind lorhi ....

and about lorhi of munda is .... they use to set fire and it is said from lorhi cold time of winters is gone and summers are coming ... the the child has managed to survive his first winters ... because in previous times ... winter season was the most dangerous season for the newborn ... it just the symbol of happiness ... that child has managed to survive his first winters ...

and why celebrated for boy its just mind set of people ... but i m glad these days even lorhi of girl child is celebrated ....

and i dont think its against sikhi from any angle ......

Celebrating Hindu festival is part of Bipran Ki Reet. Hindu festivals are Lohri, Holi and Rakhi that Sikhs in Punjab celebrate. You guys already know the story of Prehlad (a Bhagat mentioned in Gurbani). His aunt tried to burn him but he couldn't get burnt because he was the true devotee of God. From there people started celebrating Lohri and that's why people burn woods at night and they pray to fire that Don't harm our sons either like you didn't harm Prehlad. This festival is only for men. When a boy is born people distribute food, clothes etc.. but when a girl is born they do nothing. And think that the fire couldn't burn Prehlad and he was a boy so in order to pray to fire it has to be a boy. Besides a woman is considered inferior in Hinduism. This is all Bipran Ki Reet.

by Bijla Singh

Here is what I know about Lohri, and the prevalent view in Punjab. Just to start, Lohri in Punjab has nothing to do with Sikhism or Hinduism (or Brahamanism) as one would call it. However, it does have a cultural significance in Punjab, and is actually done in the memory of a folk hero.

There used to be a robin hood like figure, Dulla Bhatti (A Muslim outlaw) during the times of Akbar and Guru Arjan Dev Ji. He was very helpful to the poor and needy. He once saved a young hindu girl from the clutches of other outlaws, and treated her like his daughter. As she was a hindu, he arranged for her marriage with a hindu boy, but there was no priest available to do the laavan. All he knew was that hindus walk around fire while the priest prays. So, he lit a fire, and asked them to walk around it while he sang a funny song (pretty much anything that came to his mind). Here is what he sang:

Sundar Munderiye ho!

Tera kaun vicaharaa ho!

Dullah bhatti walla ho!

Dullhe di dhee vyayae ho!

Ser shakkar payee ho!

Kudi da laal pathaka ho!

Kudi da saalu paatta ho!

Salu kaun samete!

Chache choori kutti! zamidara lutti!

Zamindaar sudhaye!

bade bhole aaye!

Ek bhola reh gaya!

Sipahee pakad ke lai gaya!

Sipahee ne mari eet!

Sanoo de de lohri te teri jeeve jodi

Paheenve ro te phannve pit! ”

Later on Dulla was captured by Akbar and executed.

Lastly, Lohri was actually meant to be celebrated as a thanks to a folk hero (Dulla) for newly weds and a new season, and then people started celebrating for newly born children (boys and girls). As prejudices prevaled, people started celebrating it only for new born boys later on. At the present, it is quite common for people to celebrate lohri for new born girls also.

Also, in Punjab it is not celebrated as a Hindu Festival

Please correct me if I am wrong.