Comparing Gursikhs To Animals

Pwalla!

Written by Bhai Jagjit Singh!

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ke fateh

Comparing Gursikhs to Animals

I recently got the opportunity to attend a Smagam. It has been a while since I had the opportunity to attend one fully, and it was very enjoyable, and full of “laha” of Naam and Gurbani. If we attend smagams in the proper frame of mind, and spend time with the right Gursikhs, then smagams can act as a Spiritual Detox from our worldly routines.

At this smagam, we also got the opportunity to discuss various things which the youth either needed to be aware of, or wished to discuss. In one of the smaller groups, one one day I remember discussing the need for Panthik Ekta. How our minds should be dedicated to the Sahib Siri Guru Granth Sahib, and our bodies should be dedicated to the Guru Khalsa Panth.

Foolish Mockery

After the session, I was approached by a young Gursikh, who said to me, “it is fine talking about the need for Panthik Ekta, but the reality is that certain other groups treat us as animals, because of their prejudices. He then narrated a story at his local Gurdwara, of how some people made animal noises behind his back.” I thought this is a one-off, and you always get some silly people.

Then a few days later, at Derby Youth Camp, another youth in conversation narrated to me a similar story in the youth scene. How some boys when in groups with their friends from a certain jathebandie, making these noises, at the expense of Gursikhs, then have a good laugh. I again dismissed it thinking, no one can be so foolish to compare Gursikhs who Jaap Naam to dogs and cows, etc.

Last week, I was forwarded a link by a third Gursikh, which lead to a youth messageboard, where some person is openly comparing Gursikhs to these animals, because of his prejudices.

I had thought no one can be this foolish, but clearly I was wrong.

To take the mickey out of someone is common in our worldly surroundings. Banter is part of most social environments. However to mimic a dog or a cow, is neither very clever in worldly circles, but to do it to take the mickey out of Naam is extra-ordinarily sad and not funny. Why? Let me explain…

Actions & Consequences

If we look at Guru Kian Saakian (stories of our Guru Sahibaan) Then we discover that there were some Gursikhs who spent whole lives in the seva of the Guru, but at one point they had made a comment comparing another Gursikh to animal such as a rabbit, a bear, etc, and they in their next life had to come back in that life-form. Eventually they were given mukhti by the Guru, but there was a consequence for their every action, thought and word. These stories are not just for Gurdwara stages, but they have a practical moral. Similarly, when these youth stand in their groups and makes these noises, or write them on the internet, thinking they are funny…they need to think….. Are they really that funny?

As Gursikhs, our aim is to break free from the life-cycles, and discover the Realms of the Khands. It would be very foolish of us to add more life-cycles because of our prejudices or immaturity. Guru ji writes in Gurbani how people come into groups and laugh at others who have different perspectives, thinking only they are correct. This is so common in everyday life. However Guru ji states that Naam is the only reality, and when one finds Naam, he has only one perspective and that is the ultimate Truth.

People mimicked the Bhagats, because they could not comprehend them. Some of the Bhagats got treated very badly. But for eternity, people will remember these Bhagats because of the Naam they Jaapped, which led them to write Gurbani. Other people were against the Guru Sahibaan, some even from their own families. How bad their karams were, that they were against the Guru? However it is the Guru Sahibaan, that will be remembered for eternity. All Bhagats and Gurus Sahibaans sang the glory of Naam. Today those who makes these noises as part of mockery, are mocking Gursikhs who are jaapping Naam, in that very process. How bad can someones karams be?

So should we be angry or upset at these people and their actions? No, we should be glad, that Guru Sahib has given us good karams that we attend sangat where we are joined to Naam. They have their karams and we have ours. Hopefully one day we will Jaap Naam together, but that is in the Guru`s hands. To be angry is nothing more than exchanging Vikaars. Our aim is to escape the Vikaars, so the last thing we should do is exchange them. Instead if someone makes such as silly noises as mockery, then respond by Jaapping Naam, saying Waheguru.

It is amazing, how that person thinks he is mocking you, but you are Jaaping Naam, and acting like a Gursikh. By action, Guru sahib has made you a Gursikh. That person thinks he is funny, but by action Guru sahib has made him exactly what he is mocking you for. This is just by action, regardless of the extra life-forms he has put on himself as that very animal.

Sehaj comes with Abyass

In my 14 years of sangat of Abyassi gursikhs, I have never really come across Gursikhs who do head-banging style simran, which they are taking the mickey out of. Most of this stuff that people talk about is exaggerated, or taken from a few cassettes from India, which many of us have never experienced, and just used to tarnish a lot of people. Occasionally you may come across some people that can be a bit aggressive, and they are usually new Amritdharis, and like most new people, some can be very enthusiastic. In time, they too will find Sehaj. Naam is such a magical energy, that it will allow the person to find their own equilibrium. I am not sure why other people are even bothered by this?

In my 14 years, the sangat are usually very relaxed and chilled Gursikhs, who enjoy abyass. They rumours that people spread outside, are merely hearsay, and spreading nonsense as part of hidden agendas.

Just Jaap Naam

In life, we will often come across people who think themselves to be against us, or above us. As a son and daughter of Sahib Siri Guru Gobind Singh, we should hold our heads high. It should be part of our demeanour that no-one is against us, and we have no enemies, even if they think they are. If a person thinks such a way, rather then responding with a Vikaar, we should just walk up to that person, exchange “GurFateh” and shake their hand. Then go on about your business and Jaap Naam.

Understanding these things, we become carefree and tolerant, rather then angry and upset.

In time, Guru Sahib will himself give others the wealth of knowledge of Naam, and wipe away the dust of our ignorance and prejudice. That day, we will all become brothers as the Guru Khalsa Panth should be.

True Panthik Ekta & Naam

We often talk about Panthik Ekta. It is something we all long for, if we have “Khalsa Spirit” or “Panthik dard”. However sometimes we all work together and achieve a lot and others we have things like above. It is a shame, but these things happen.

I have come to the conclusion, where there is Naam you will always find Panthik Ekta. You see the thing about Ekta is that it is unnatural for human beings. Lust, anger, greed, attachment and especially ego get in its way. Naam is the only cure.

To achieve Ekta on any level, we must first find Ekta in ourselves. If our mind wanders in keertan or paath, then we have not yet found Ekta in ourselves. If our conscious speaks to us, then our minds are still not living the truth. Only when our conscious is made redundant have we found balance. When we have found our Guru inside, only then we have done Ekta with him. So first we must do Ekta with ourselves and our Guru. If we cannot do that, then how can we honestly expect Ekta with others? A person who cannot do Ekta with his Guru, will always let down his Gursikhs.

We as youth are fortunate that we were not born a generation before, and live in the West. Otherwise we may well have lived at the times of genocide of Panjab in its killing fields. To hear and witness the deeds of Gursikhs of that time, it makes us realise how far we are. If we were tortured like Bhai Anokh Singh, would we be able to handle it? Very few would, and most of us would fail. In these circumstances, upholding Truth, Guru, Panth is very hard. Without Naam, we would all fail. It is them who attained Shahhedi in such a manner who really understand the true meaning of Truth, Guru and Panth.

True Panthik Ekta will come, but it will only come with Naam. Youth should disregard anyones comments that attempt to mock or discourage Naam. Naam is the most essential ingredient of a Gursikh. Guru ji states “Sadh Sangat kasee janiea, jitte Eko Naam vakaaniea” ( How do you recognise the correct Sangat? Is is where you witness Naam ). Many people will come and go, but only those who Jaap Naam will fulfil their destiny as Abyassi Gursikhs.

Read any shabad in Gurbani and its mentions Naam. In life, whatever you do as youth, Never Compromise with Naam. That is the only wealth of any value. We should spend these precious days of our lives collecting this wealth and not allowing others to distract us from this path. Let those who think they are funny, be funny to themselves. You collect Naam, and in yourself be Pure and Truthful to the Khalsa Panth.

Others will do according to their karams, that is not in our hands. But we should do everything that we can for the Panth, regardless of others. We should not decide how Panthik we are according to the actions of others towards us. We should be dedicated to the Panth regardless of others, and that dedication should be just as complete as our dedication is to Gurbani. This is because this Panth belongs to the Guru, and that is what counts.

--------------------

One God: Waheguru

One Guru : Sahib Siri Guru Granth sahib Ji.

One Group : Guru Khalsa Panth!

This should be the Motto of Our Generation

Very good piece of writing. And definetly loads to learn from there.

In addition i would add that panthic ekta will also only be possible to when we believe that there is 'IK' amrit sanchar. i.e. get rid of this attitude that a lot of youngsters are adopting that 'my amrit is better then yours' or that you need to take amit again etc.

We are all children of Guru Gobind Singh Ji, so lets stop squablling about where and when you took amrit (as many people have been doing recently). We are a big family so lets start treating each other as brothers and sisters. The less "your jatha sounds like animals" or "your jatha doesnt give you naam", or "your jatha cant give amrit" etc etc lets say "we all belong to guru gobind singh jis jatha".

This is very true Gursikhs are falling into the trap of ego and houmai. It is a same that the panth is going through this stage. The Singhs/Singhnis that belvie in this jatha disputes amrit being different and also naam from a different jatha is better.

ijnI siqguru syivAw iqnI pwieAw nwmu inDwnu ]

jinee sathigur saeviaa thinee paaeiaa naam nidhhaan ||

Those who serve the True Guru obtain the Treasure of the Naam.

Very good piece of writing. And definetly loads to learn from there.

In addition i would add that panthic ekta will also only be possible to when we believe that there is 'IK' amrit sanchar. i.e. get rid of this attitude that a lot of youngsters are adopting that 'my amrit is better then yours' or that you need to take amit again etc.

We are all children of Guru Gobind Singh Ji, so lets stop squablling about where and when you took amrit (as many people have been doing recently). We are a big family so lets start treating each other as brothers and sisters. The less "your jatha sounds like animals" or "your jatha doesnt give you naam", or "your jatha cant give amrit" etc etc lets say "we all belong to guru gobind singh jis jatha".

fully agree with jagjit singh, as well as ak-47.

panthic ekta works two ways, not one way, it takes two to tango to make it work. If one party sings the song of panthic ekta and at the same time have superioty complex in them and claim that they are only true representation of khalsa or they have only way (naam dridta) to merge with vahiguroo. They living in illusion.

Written by Bhai Jagjit Singh!

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ke fateh

Comparing Gursikhs to Animals

I recently got the opportunity to attend a Smagam. It has been a while since I had the opportunity to attend one fully, and it was very enjoyable, and full of “laha” of Naam and Gurbani. If we attend smagams in the proper frame of mind, and spend time with the right Gursikhs, then smagams can act as a Spiritual Detox from our worldly routines.

At this smagam, we also got the opportunity to discuss various things which the youth either needed to be aware of, or wished to discuss. In one of the smaller groups, one one day I remember discussing the need for Panthik Ekta. How our minds should be dedicated to the Sahib Siri Guru Granth Sahib, and our bodies should be dedicated to the Guru Khalsa Panth.

Foolish Mockery

After the session, I was approached by a young Gursikh, who said to me, “it is fine talking about the need for Panthik Ekta, but the reality is that certain other groups treat us as animals, because of their prejudices. He then narrated a story at his local Gurdwara, of how some people made animal noises behind his back.” I thought this is a one-off, and you always get some silly people.

Then a few days later, at Derby Youth Camp, another youth in conversation narrated to me a similar story in the youth scene. How some boys when in groups with their friends from a certain jathebandie, making these noises, at the expense of Gursikhs, then have a good laugh. I again dismissed it thinking, no one can be so foolish to compare Gursikhs who Jaap Naam to dogs and cows, etc.

Last week, I was forwarded a link by a third Gursikh, which lead to a youth messageboard, where some person is openly comparing Gursikhs to these animals, because of his prejudices.

I had thought no one can be this foolish, but clearly I was wrong.

To take the mickey out of someone is common in our worldly surroundings. Banter is part of most social environments. However to mimic a dog or a cow, is neither very clever in worldly circles, but to do it to take the mickey out of Naam is extra-ordinarily sad and not funny. Why? Let me explain…

Actions & Consequences

If we look at Guru Kian Saakian (stories of our Guru Sahibaan) Then we discover that there were some Gursikhs who spent whole lives in the seva of the Guru, but at one point they had made a comment comparing another Gursikh to animal such as a rabbit, a bear, etc, and they in their next life had to come back in that life-form. Eventually they were given mukhti by the Guru, but there was a consequence for their every action, thought and word. These stories are not just for Gurdwara stages, but they have a practical moral. Similarly, when these youth stand in their groups and makes these noises, or write them on the internet, thinking they are funny…they need to think….. Are they really that funny?

As Gursikhs, our aim is to break free from the life-cycles, and discover the Realms of the Khands. It would be very foolish of us to add more life-cycles because of our prejudices or immaturity. Guru ji writes in Gurbani how people come into groups and laugh at others who have different perspectives, thinking only they are correct. This is so common in everyday life. However Guru ji states that Naam is the only reality, and when one finds Naam, he has only one perspective and that is the ultimate Truth.

People mimicked the Bhagats, because they could not comprehend them. Some of the Bhagats got treated very badly. But for eternity, people will remember these Bhagats because of the Naam they Jaapped, which led them to write Gurbani. Other people were against the Guru Sahibaan, some even from their own families. How bad their karams were, that they were against the Guru? However it is the Guru Sahibaan, that will be remembered for eternity. All Bhagats and Gurus Sahibaans sang the glory of Naam. Today those who makes these noises as part of mockery, are mocking Gursikhs who are jaapping Naam, in that very process. How bad can someones karams be?

So should we be angry or upset at these people and their actions? No, we should be glad, that Guru Sahib has given us good karams that we attend sangat where we are joined to Naam. They have their karams and we have ours. Hopefully one day we will Jaap Naam together, but that is in the Guru`s hands. To be angry is nothing more than exchanging Vikaars. Our aim is to escape the Vikaars, so the last thing we should do is exchange them. Instead if someone makes such as silly noises as mockery, then respond by Jaapping Naam, saying Waheguru.

It is amazing, how that person thinks he is mocking you, but you are Jaaping Naam, and acting like a Gursikh. By action, Guru sahib has made you a Gursikh. That person thinks he is funny, but by action Guru sahib has made him exactly what he is mocking you for. This is just by action, regardless of the extra life-forms he has put on himself as that very animal.

Sehaj comes with Abyass

In my 14 years of sangat of Abyassi gursikhs, I have never really come across Gursikhs who do head-banging style simran, which they are taking the mickey out of. Most of this stuff that people talk about is exaggerated, or taken from a few cassettes from India, which many of us have never experienced, and just used to tarnish a lot of people. Occasionally you may come across some people that can be a bit aggressive, and they are usually new Amritdharis, and like most new people, some can be very enthusiastic. In time, they too will find Sehaj. Naam is such a magical energy, that it will allow the person to find their own equilibrium. I am not sure why other people are even bothered by this?

In my 14 years, the sangat are usually very relaxed and chilled Gursikhs, who enjoy abyass. They rumours that people spread outside, are merely hearsay, and spreading nonsense as part of hidden agendas.

Just Jaap Naam

In life, we will often come across people who think themselves to be against us, or above us. As a son and daughter of Sahib Siri Guru Gobind Singh, we should hold our heads high. It should be part of our demeanour that no-one is against us, and we have no enemies, even if they think they are. If a person thinks such a way, rather then responding with a Vikaar, we should just walk up to that person, exchange “GurFateh” and shake their hand. Then go on about your business and Jaap Naam.

Understanding these things, we become carefree and tolerant, rather then angry and upset.

In time, Guru Sahib will himself give others the wealth of knowledge of Naam, and wipe away the dust of our ignorance and prejudice. That day, we will all become brothers as the Guru Khalsa Panth should be.

True Panthik Ekta & Naam

We often talk about Panthik Ekta. It is something we all long for, if we have “Khalsa Spirit” or “Panthik dard”. However sometimes we all work together and achieve a lot and others we have things like above. It is a shame, but these things happen.

I have come to the conclusion, where there is Naam you will always find Panthik Ekta. You see the thing about Ekta is that it is unnatural for human beings. Lust, anger, greed, attachment and especially ego get in its way. Naam is the only cure.

To achieve Ekta on any level, we must first find Ekta in ourselves. If our mind wanders in keertan or paath, then we have not yet found Ekta in ourselves. If our conscious speaks to us, then our minds are still not living the truth. Only when our conscious is made redundant have we found balance. When we have found our Guru inside, only then we have done Ekta with him. So first we must do Ekta with ourselves and our Guru. If we cannot do that, then how can we honestly expect Ekta with others? A person who cannot do Ekta with his Guru, will always let down his Gursikhs.

We as youth are fortunate that we were not born a generation before, and live in the West. Otherwise we may well have lived at the times of genocide of Panjab in its killing fields. To hear and witness the deeds of Gursikhs of that time, it makes us realise how far we are. If we were tortured like Bhai Anokh Singh, would we be able to handle it? Very few would, and most of us would fail. In these circumstances, upholding Truth, Guru, Panth is very hard. Without Naam, we would all fail. It is them who attained Shahhedi in such a manner who really understand the true meaning of Truth, Guru and Panth.

True Panthik Ekta will come, but it will only come with Naam. Youth should disregard anyones comments that attempt to mock or discourage Naam. Naam is the most essential ingredient of a Gursikh. Guru ji states “Sadh Sangat kasee janiea, jitte Eko Naam vakaaniea” ( How do you recognise the correct Sangat? Is is where you witness Naam ). Many people will come and go, but only those who Jaap Naam will fulfil their destiny as Abyassi Gursikhs.

Read any shabad in Gurbani and its mentions Naam. In life, whatever you do as youth, Never Compromise with Naam. That is the only wealth of any value. We should spend these precious days of our lives collecting this wealth and not allowing others to distract us from this path. Let those who think they are funny, be funny to themselves. You collect Naam, and in yourself be Pure and Truthful to the Khalsa Panth.

Others will do according to their karams, that is not in our hands. But we should do everything that we can for the Panth, regardless of others. We should not decide how Panthik we are according to the actions of others towards us. We should be dedicated to the Panth regardless of others, and that dedication should be just as complete as our dedication is to Gurbani. This is because this Panth belongs to the Guru, and that is what counts.

--------------------

One God: Waheguru

One Guru : Sahib Siri Guru Granth sahib Ji.

One Group : Guru Khalsa Panth!

This should be the Motto of Our Generation

Well we wouldn't have this problem if we didn't have so many cults/secys AKJ/DD/GNNSJ/Namdhari/Narankari etc etc..........if everyone just called themself Sikh and respected each other then we wouldn't have this.

Sounds very simplistic.....I know....but we cannot agree on fundementals like keski/kesh/meat/paath etc etc.....what chance have we got?