Pictures - Is It Idol Worship?

WaheguruJiKaKhalsa WaheguruJiKiFateh

I would like to ask the Sangat if you:

1. Keep any Pictures of "The Guru's" in your house etc?

2. If you consider pictures of "The Guru's" to be a form of Idol worship?

Thanks & I look forward to your comments.

I would like to ask the Sangat if you:

1. Keep any Pictures of "The Guru's" in your house etc?

2. If you consider pictures of "The Guru's" to be a form of Idol worship?

Thanks & I look forward to your comments.

to take it a step further. if u r just treating Guru Granth Sahib ji as an idol which you matha tek every sunday and dress up in rumallay without even trying to gain gyan of gurbani then u r also an idol worshipper.

I think it depends on how well informed the family is about Gurmat. In some families people start to bow their head before the pictures and that is wrong. We have a few pictures of the Gurus and none of the family bow their heads. I guess it's just we get a sense of the Gurus' presence in the house.

We have no pictures of the 'Guru' at home - Only of historical Gurdwaras.

Yes it is idol worshipping.

says the person who thinks our Gurus carried out manmat!!! LOL.gif

Hang on, banning their saroops would fit in with that idea wouldnt it!!!

I have saroops of guru ji at home and i do not think it is manmat at all, it is simply a a way to help us remember Waheguru and focus our prayer. Tell me what is wrong with having pictures of our Gurus? Next people will say that bowing to Guru Granth Sahib will be manmat, in the same sense as they are saying sukhasan of guruji is manmat. - Do you see this worrying trend....... :sady:

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Having pictures are OK... but bowing to them is not, because there is a difference.

When we bow to SGGSjee, we are ACTUALLY bowing to the guru. (because the words, gurbani, is right there). When you bow to a picture, you are bowing to a representation of a Guru, and that is idol worship.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Fateh

We have pictures of Guru Ji's and gurudware and that around our house, i see nothing wrong with it, before i leave the house every morning i always stand infront of Guru Ji's picture haath jor ke and jus ask to go out do my thing come back safely and for peace and love for everyone, i dnt do matha tek or none n i don't see nothing wrong with this cus im not idol worshipping, asking Guru Ji to keep me safe no harm in it...! End of day Guru Ji is every where i can jus stand on a spot and say a prayer aslong as Guru Ji knows my truth and im right i am happy with what i am doing :)

Fateh

This whole topic of should we bow, should we not bow - it's a laugh.

I have bowed to Guru photos all my life. If you think now anyone can say its wrong - you must be crazy. Yes people you are actually bowing to the founders of our religion.

Everytime I see any Gurus photo, my heart fills up of joy. I automatically bow and appreciate a beautiful moment as I visualise Guru Ji looking upon me and giving me a blessing - making sure I stay on a rightous path.

Bowing is a sign of showing appreciation, showing respect. Look in China and other countries that way, they bow. They do not hand shake as in India and uk etc.

So we are basically saying, we can bow to fellow Human Beings but not our Guru !!!!!! d_oh.gif