Hip Hop

WILDSINGH

LOL i was expecting that sort of comment about 10 posts into the discussion...lol....

There is nothing wrong with enjoying music....why are people so damned hardcore.

Keertan is the best....but there is nothing wrong with enjoying other things in life as well...all in moderation and its not bad....just as KAAM is NOT indulgence in sex(if with you wife) but rather an OVERINDULGENCE.....the same with a lot of things.

Life is beautiful...if you don't see the beauty in all of life then you really don;t appreciate Maharajis creation.

Music is good...Keertan is better.

Back to the discussion...hiphop i'm not a fan of...well.>Ruff Ryders are good. Anyone into the likes of Karsh Kale...Midival Punditz??? the whole indian electronica scene is just great..if you are into table beats and traditonal female indian vocalists and musicians mixed into modern day electronica...it's good!!!

this aint aimed at u, just generally at everyone

the people who are 'so dammed hardcore' are probably better off. becos its like playing with fire when you say theres nothing wrong in enjoying other things.............. is it really worth enjoying the temporary satisfaction of manmat things, because one wrong move may change the course of your destiny.

it is best to avoid what you sensibly can . it also depends what you are looking for in life and what your path is........if you 'want' to listen to hip hop' then nothing i say will be of good, but if you are on a spiritual path to Akaal purakh then you can see where i am coming from and aknowledge what is right and what is wrong, whether you do listen to it or dont just depends on your path, how soon do u intend to reach ur goal....... sikhi is a path, some things speed you journey up some slow it down, whatever you do is ur choice ...........................and i aint a 'hardcore' but i wish i was

OK I'm happy that you spend 24/7 listening to Gurbai, you are truely blessed.

I on the otherhand just have a balance in my life that helps me make my family happy, helps me 'live' in the world through work and earning money to support my family and also helps me keeping to my Sikhi and on the path. I neither over indulge in Sikhi nor am I distant from it. I try and 'enjoy' and 'appreciate' this world maharaji has given us and I remember that without the 'world' and 'nature' we cannot really understand Maharaji. I have no quotes to back me up, so these are really my own views.

I'm not a 'youth', but really to be constructive and helpful on this forum, you really have to place yourself in the shoes of others and given useful help and advice rather then a gung-ho approach of being totally hardcore (or normal from your point of view).

No one is saying your comments are wrong...in fact they are correct, Gurbani is the only way. But life is about a balance...between Maharaji and the situation you are born into...you have to work to support and feed your family and this you cannot become a recluse...

Equally, it's simple implying a life devoted to Gurbani is the way to God...but I guess only a small percentage of people in this world are so blessed as to spend all their times in the presence of Gurbani...

I totally agree with you.... it all depends on the person... i know that i wudnt be able to stop listening to music... but that doesnt mean i wud stop listening to gurbani

Guest Bass Singh

I used 2 dj loads b4 and mix, i used 2 mc, reh reh! However the real essence of Hapiness is found in bani, r u really happy listening 2 manmat music!

think of it like this! R u remembering MAHRAJ when ur listening 2 music?

listen 2 kirtan, this makes u wana jaap nam!!!

VAHEGUROOOO!!!!

peacemaker Posted Today, 05:58 AM

Then why not just die if everything in this world is manmat?

good advice!! ...
This Shabad is by Bhagat Kabeer Ji in Salok Kabeer Jee on Ang 1364

kabeer aisaa eaek aadhh jo jeevath mirathak hoe ||

Kabeer, rare is such a person, who remains dead while yet alive.

nirabhai hoe kai gun ravai jath paekho thath soe ||5||

Singing the Glorious Praises of the Lord, he is fearless. Wherever I look, the Lord is there. ||5||

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=4973

Maybe I'm showing my age now but i think you are wrong to judge other communities creativity and music without having a broader understanding.

The truth is that Hip Hop in its early days provided a platform for some seriously poor and oppressed people to be heard. This wasn't all it was about but black people used it to raise the consciousness of their people on a global level with groups such as Public Enemy. You could argue that prior to Hip Hop there was no global platform for communicating certain feelings and opinions as mass media was firmly in the hands of goray, who often abused [and still do abuse] it and try to stifle perspectives other than the western one. That is not to say that negative stuff isn't contained in some hip hop tracks but I could the same for Panjabi music, but we still have some conscious lyricists such as Manak.

I see Hip Hop as a black version of vaars, and before anyone bites my head of remember that dhadhis didn't only sing about Sikhi and bravery but also romance (mirza etc.) long BEFORE Sikhi came to the earth. Panjabis have their own "gangsta" stuff with Jagga Jatt, Jeona Maur plus all the anti government dhadhi (i.e. 1984, Bhagat Singh & Udham Singh, Khalistani), let the kalay have theirs. Plus they have been at the forefront of developing the use of technology in creating music and others only followed much later.

I like some Hip Hop, some just plain sucks. But we could learn a lot from how some seriously deprived kalay from the most busted up ghettos of New York managed to create, foster and develop this form from street corners into a multi billion dollar international business from nothing in a few decades. I remember watching a documentary where Afrika Bambata (a pioneer in Hip Hop from the early 80s) talked about his group trying to create some new routes for the youth in the ghetto because things were so messed up and no employment prospects existed. So hip hop is not all negative. Plus we can easily talk of Panjabi music encouraging violence, casteism, drinking and lusty behaviour so don't throw stones.

Also music such as gospel ort conscious reggae dub is also very spiritual in nature and I can't see any wrong with Sikhs listening to some of this when it talks of God only (not Jesus etc.).

Guest peacemaker

Exactly, I find these people who won't even give you a chance to explain why you like hip hop or pop or any kind of music BESIDES kirtan, arrogant and rude.

We're not stupid. We know gurbani is the only true thing in this life, but you could at least be nice about it. HEY, YOU CAN SAY ANYTHING you want after this, but this is how I feel and you can't change it.