Learning About Sikhi - England

Vahe Guru Ji Ka Khalsa

Vahe Guru Ji Ki Fateh

I just wanted to know some veiws of fellow sikhs in regards to where would be the best place to live in England in order to learn about sikhi. I know that the best practice anyone can do is to read bani, listen to kirtan and search within. But i would like to know about things like ,

• Where best to learn kirtan
  • where best to learn gurmukhi
  • learn more about Guru Granth Sahib ji and santhiya
  • Learn Gatka
  • Learn other instruments used in traditional /raag kirtan
  • learn more about meditation/ yoga/ naam simran
  • access to chardikala gursikhs

basically where would someone benefit/ be able to access things to learn about sikhi............. like where are the most resources etc.................the reason for asking is because i got a industry placement next year, and i really want to make the most of it. I might only get a job near home , but if it happens to be somewhere else it would be good if it was somewher where there is sikh sangat and where i can progress..........if you get me, just need something to look forward too to be honest.

please add to the list ................

also are there any schools around the world where adult sikhs can go and learn sikh from basics to a deeper level......... or if there isnt shudnt there be one, or the ones there are , shouldnt they be advertised more so they are easier to contact or available to moorakhs like me.........

enlighten me please

Bhul Chuk Di Kima

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sangat up north are good to learn from - hardly any places down here that have gurudwaras that genuinely care about the sangat and the needs of the sangat. Places like Leicester, Coventry, B'ham n that all sem to have pretty knowledgable sikhs who are tryin to follow the path layed down by the Guru Ji's rather than go the opposite way - not that there arent any of these bad apples up north - just seems like less tongue.gif Point is it's hard enough to get the committees to look after the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji's - forget letting us lear gatka, kirtan and gurmukhi lol - if I had the choice I'd go up north....dunno if that was just a rant or if that helped haha

bhul chukk maaf

Sangat up north are good to learn from - hardly any places down here that have gurudwaras that genuinely care about the sangat and the needs of the sangat. Places like Leicester, Coventry, B'ham n that all sem to have pretty knowledgable sikhs who are tryin to follow the path layed down by the Guru Ji's rather than go the opposite way - not that there arent any of these bad apples up north - just seems like less tongue.gif Point is it's hard enough to get the committees to look after the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji's - forget letting us lear gatka, kirtan and gurmukhi lol - if I had the choice I'd go up north....dunno if that was just a rant or if that helped haha

bhul chukk maaf

erm paji, im from newcastle............ how north do you mean lol .....

Leicester is good for camps, gurmatveechar, kirtan etcc. . .u always getting realy jeevan valey singhs coming down to the gurdvaras and doing veechar and seva. . . i recall one gursikh who came from india to do guru granth sahib jee maharaj di seva (at leicester). . . and meeting him was just amazing. birmingham is good also. . . coventry is good aswell. . . but TIVIDALE is the best (joke)