Menstruation - Mature Topic

Guest kay-ay-yoo-arr 2k6

i write all my points in exclamations nothing to gripe about in the same way you write in a condenscending manner!

im not angry just dissappointed in a generation that cant be bothered to do even a bit of research into posts before posting!

Please highlight where i have insulted our sisters? please make points based on what you can read above not just what you imagine in your head!

"I don't care if the urine comes from the bladder or somewhere else - I say its not clean because of what it comes out of.

now i didnt mention placenta, you said its unclean because of what it comes out off so please explain

If I was angry I would be speaking as Kully does. I am not angry and I am not hurt. Where have I said I am hurt? Now you are both not reading my posts properly which is why you write what you do.

Yes it is up to the individual and I still go to the Gurdwara then.

You say you 'can' even understand the point I am making so then that's good we understand one another's view points.

When women give birth the baby is taken away to be cleaned. You don't give birth and then go straight to the Gurdwara to matha tek you would tink oh better clean the baby first. You are not dirty as in no one can touch you etc.

Also being on a forum where people make accusations and use exclamation marks for a small disgareement says a lot about us sikhs and your responses just further support my point. This is the youth of today. If we don't agree with you you are ignorant. You are naive and you just insulted our sisters.

So many things I can disagree with you here, but I won't. Benti I do ask to you is to read posts properly before you reply, is all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's start again.

I (the emphasis being on I with the expectation that my personal views are respected as everyone is entitled to their own harmless view) go to the Gurdwara any time of the day and any time of the month and year.

I respect Harmandir Sahib rules that women cannot do sewa in certain places etc and if this is because women menstruate then I respect that reason as well if that is the reason. Therefore, if I am on my cycle I will choose to continue to do langar sewa but will choose not to do chaur sahib sewa at the Gurdwara.

No one has insulted anyone's sisters. I was being accused of that simply for having an opinion on a topic which we are all openly to discuss.

There is no research to be done. If I don't feel 'clean' then I apologise from the bottom of my heart for feeling that way.

Read carefully, I have been saying throughout that you assume Kully. You seem to just turn it back on me.

LOL about the placenta. I won't go into detail about where the blood comes out of you do your research there.

I stated an opinion now please let's get over it and in English class we were always taught not to use exclamation marks as they would suggest that you are shouting but that's also a teacher's opinion which is irrelevant.

No matter how backwards and absurd it may seem what Harpreets opinions are i understand some points she is saying.

There are two views to this, some Will think it is ok to do seva when on their periods, and others Will not feel right inside, or do some types of seva. Harpreet is only giving her own views which she is entitled to. No need to belittle one of their views just because we dont agree with them. As somebody may not agree with ours.

Has anybody ever asked an elder learned Gursikh female their views on this topic? It would be interesting to hear their views.

I personally do not go, if i can manage it. This is my own personal feeling, and not what anybody has told me. Reason being as i find it difficult to sit, and dont feel comfortable in regards to hygiene. Also my mann does not allow me to feel the want to go and that time, i just dont feel right inside, as i would like when doing seva. But that's my personal opinion and whatever anybody thinks would be their opinion which i would appreciate. But my opinion also does not mean i would not go to gurdwara, it would depend on what day i was on or how comfortable i was strength wise. But or me, my first thought would be i want to be clean as i can manage as when we have shower and go with clean clothes to do seva of Maharaj ji, even though all they want is love, i would try to be hygienic myself towards them as they are a King of Kings

you know what i mean. And this does not mean i am calling anybody else dirty as the menstrual cycle is created by God and they would understand why i would not want to go gurdwara at that time

• 2 years later...
Guest dassofguru

We can do paath in periods. Our religion never stops us for taking the name of the lord in any confition, only you need to take bath and thn do paath.

Guest Jaggi_Singh

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa Vaheguru ji ki fateh,

As princess has replied; yes, you can go like anything other day because maharaj's darbar is open to everyone at all times. However, I personally would not do maharaj di seva on those particular days because you need complete sucham. Some bibiya like to cause uproar about this issue and claim that they are being prevented from doing seva and there is lack of equality between genders but I think it is a matter of common sense. There is not sexism going on, only respect for Guru Granth Sahib Jee, do you really want to do seva of maharaj knowing there could be a breach in sucham?

Although I have mentioned that you shouldnt really do maharaj di seva (out of respect) this does not mean we are prevented from going to the gurdwara and getting darsan of our father. Many people think that they dont have to do their nitnem etc if they are menstruating. This is not the case. Menstruation is a natural element of the female reproductive system which has been installed into us bibiya for a reason by maharaj... we get the gift of giving birth and a maternal bond with creation for 9 months which singhs arent physically capable of doing, so please bibiya do not feel inferior to singhs - menstruation is not a burden on us. IT IS A GIFT.

Sincere apologies to anyone I may have offended.

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa Vaheguru ji ki fateh.

Brother, why there is no sucham when women are mensurating and bleeding? You would not have taken birth if your mother was not mensurating, do you know that? Guru Ji doesn't care about all this junk. Our Gurus married so they knew very well that women mensurate and if sucham was so important to them. they would stay celibate whole their lives and live in mountains or jungles. Guru sahibs obviously had sex so why make mensuration a taboo?

Such a frivolous claim that mensuration violates sucham. Nothing like that ladies. Go an sit on the tabya of Guru sahib even if you are mensurating. It is a natural phenom.

This thought of being 'unclean' comes from Islam and Hinduism. The Sikh gurus made it clear that menstruation is not a problem. People from India think it is because of influences from other cultures.

Scientifically its blood. If you cut your finger and put a plaster on it and did seva then no one says that's unclean. It's the same logic - if you are bleeding and control that bleed with either a tampon or pad then that's fine.

The one thing I want to add is that if you leak everywhere then that is making everything unclean. Back in the old days there was poor control of flow and women did leak so it was considered not right that they do this seva at that time in case they learn. But in this day and age women don't leak.

In summary bleeding is not unclean. Leaving blood on gurdwara sheets is unclean but if you have adequate protection and wear the correct pads then you are fine to do the seva - just like the person who wears a plaster when they cut their bleeding finger.