Waxing

Guest Guest

I'm shocked as well. Where did you find this post?

i just read this post included down below on a different forum by a knowlegble poster and i'm shocked and confused now. i thought bhai randhir singh was a gursikh of akj? aren't akj most strict about this kind of things? why would be say something like this> maybe som e knowledgble person here can help me understand. everyone says no dont remove excess hair but here he says its boorish? and it shouldn't be there on a womans face? if a gursikh can say this what chance do girls in this world ahve to find happiness? its hurtful and confused.

ns

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:55 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't normally get involved in such discussions. I don't even read them, but this time I was curious. People tend to miss out on the true essence of religion by getting excessively involved in such things. Through focus on NAAM/BANI Guru reveals to us everything we need.

I do not wish to address the issue of eyebrows, but instead a small point on females having facial hair or beard.

I read some (not all) of the posts and thought I would share what was written in the work Jail Chit(h)eyaa(n) by Bhai Saheb Bhai Randhir Singh Jee in both the English and the Punjabi versions.

In the English, Bhai Saheb wrote on p. 261 that "Women do not grow any beard on their faces. If any woman wants, she cannot. Just as it is unnatural to try to develop beards on the faces of women, it is unnatural and wrong to destroy the natural hair that grows on the men's head." (In other words, facial hair/beard is a MALE characteristic in nature and unnatural for females.).

Now for the Punjabi version. I distinctly remember that Bhai Saheb Jee wrote that if a woman were to have facial hair it would be JAHAALATH. I had to look up the word jahaalath in the dictionary and the dictionary said it meant "boorish". The dictionary says that the words boorish, oafish, rude, uncouth all describe persons, acts, manners, or mannerisms that violate in some way the generally accepted canons of polite, considerate behavior.

Bhai Saheb Jee was a very strict saint, some would argue excessively so, but even he says that "it is unnatural to try to develop beards on the faces of women" (because it is a MALE characteristic).

I must clarify that I do NOT know the full answer to this issue. I'm glad I'm not a female facing such an issue. I wanted to say what Bhai Saheb jee said that facial hair on a female is unnatural and "jahaalath". I also want to express my sincerest compassion for those facing this issue, and that I am in no position to judge them.

Later on on p. 261 Bhai Saheb jee separately refers to removal of BODILY hair by saying that "Those who are pure in body, mind and soul, and those who know something about sciences know that to remove bodily hair from the whole of our body is crime against health." To me, (just my opinion) bodily hair and facial hair/beard on a FEMALE are separate issues.

I decided to refer to the original Punjabi Jail Chiteyan. On p 414-415 Bhai Saheb jee writes, "Istreeyaa(n) day moo(n)h utay kudratee tor tay kes ya rom ugday hee nahee. Jay koee ugvaona chaahay taa(n) us da yatan birthaa hai. So is parkaar istreeya(n) day mooh utay kudrato(n) ult kes rom ugaaona jahaalath hai, aysay parkar istree maradh day sees utay kudratee ugvao anusar ugvay atay ugv kharrotay kes nu kataona ya vadhaona ghataona bhee jahaalath hai". (My translation is: "Kes or rom by nature simply do not grow on the faces of women. If a woman were to try her efforts would fail. So, in this way if on the face of woman someone were to against nature by growing kes or rom it would be jahaalath (boorish), in this same way both man and woman on their heads by nature grow kes and if they were to cut this or increase/decrease this kes it would also be jahaalath.").

Guest Guest

It is unnatural for a woman to have a beard - and in my life I have never seen a Singhni with a beard.

But I have also met Puratan Singhnia who were close to Bhai Sahib who have some facial hair also.

Having a full grown flowing beard like a man is completely different from having a few stray hairs or light hair growth which is natural and always has been. It is only due to modern society that the concept of beauty has been applied to even the most trivial details of appearance.

I don't think its a good idea to try and twist Bhai Sahib's words and claim he would allow hair removal.

Guest Gupt Singhni
It is unnatural for a woman to have a beard - and in my life I have never seen a Singhni with a beard.

But I have also met Puratan Singhnia who were close to Bhai Sahib who have some facial hair also.

Having a full grown flowing beard like a man is completely different from having a few stray hairs or light hair growth which is natural and always has been. It is only due to modern society that the concept of beauty has been applied to even the most trivial details of appearance.

I don't think its a good idea to try and twist Bhai Sahib's words and claim he would allow hair removal.

Well said :TH:

bhai taru singh, our brother singh

was captured by the mughal king

they wanted to shave him bad

they wanted to drive him mad

they wanted to take his life

they pulled out the barbar's knife

and tried hard to cut his mane

but it was all in vain

his hair were strong as steal

this miracle was indeed real

he remembered god with every breath

he was not afraid of the cruel death

they just couldnt cut his hair

and he just didnt care

if they took away his life

with their bloody barbar's knife

you're a lion O man

just give a dam

don't cut your hair

get friendly and fair

be brave like taru singh

don't turn away from guru king

don't play the sad loser's game

don't act in shame

don't cut your hair

without the kings care

be taru singh: say the name

respect the hair, dont feel shame

you will be a fool

to break the guru's rule

you will walk then alone

your soul will always groan

but it is not to late

guru nanak is geat!

he accpets us all

and condones our falls

your a lion O man

what not you can

dont lose the game

don't cut your mane

Anonymous

ps it took me a long time typing this out from the book "Hair Power" by Sarup singh alag...so it better be worth it!!!

Guest Randomingh

I personally think waxing makes you uglier. It makes the skin look so unnatural. I am married and I jnow for a fact that she won't look as beautiful if she startes waxing!!

We are all blinded by the false perception of beauty by the media - Beauty is something that cannot be defined by "shiny smooth legs" etc. I feel that's just .. i dont know .. I feel shaven arms/legs look uglier than natural-looking ones which hair. Wait I jsut repeated myself.

I'll shutup now

Guest Guest

k my dilemma is once i stop waxing/plucking my face, the hair is gonna grow in so fast and heavy. is there a way to make it happen gradualy or slowly so it looks like it just happend slowly instead of making it obvious i was waxing and stuff once i stop? and i seen singhnis with beards in north america man. its hard but i'll be one of them soon to! :e:

• 4 years later...
Guest Simran

I guess this discussion has been raised many times in many forums. I would like to add a bit of my own experience to this. I am in 10th grade in India. Being a sikh girl, I do my best to do paath and go to the gurudwara. My mom never waxed in her entire life. When everyone in class begin to wax I was agitated. It seemed so unfair that everyone else got to look so good and I had arms and legs even hairier than the boys in my class. When I talked to mom about this she told me that I could get it done if I wanted it so badly. I kept pestering her and many- a - times my faith felt shaken. This happened in class 7th and in 2 years almost all my friends were going out with some one or the other. I realised I was deprived of this too.

Then I went to Bangla Sahib and read Guru Gobind Singh Ji's rules to the sikhs. It was then I realized that the biggest challenge in this world was accecpting who I was. I was a sikh. I was Waheguruji's daughter. I was to become a Singhni and some day I would raise a family too. I realized that the first step towards accepting sikhism and practising what Waheguru ji wants me to do was my body. Only when externally I begin to make myself strong, will I be able to do path regularily and keep the name of the sikhs in the air. After 4 years of patience and agitation have I now become completely content with my form and hair. I now see it not as a disadvantage but a rule that has to be followed. Changing what Waheguru ji wants us to do and be will never do us any good. Who am I to mess with God's creation and that gave me no right to wax or trim. I finally felt alright to go to school with hairy legs and I realized that after a few months no one even noticed it.

Yes I might become consious of myself at times but thats when I remind myself- that following waheguru ji is the biggest blessing I can ever get.

Guest KOOKAR

Removal of any bodily hair is a Big NO No in Sikhism .It is not permitted as it is Guru Ji's hukam, Sabat soorat dastaar sira in Sahib Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj .

says who? some of the bhagats cut their hair, if it was in gods hukam for them to cut their hair why would His hukam not be repeated on other bhagats? God was the same back then as he is now, are all those who are saying not to cut their hair superior to the brahmgyanis who's verses were added in Guru Granth Sahib Ji?