Patka/dastaar

Guest soon to be kaur

• 7 months later...

i just got in to sikhi, and want to start covering my head, start with patka, and hopefully go upwards and onwards from there with guru jis blessing, how do you tie a patka, and what material etc etc?

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

i just got in to sikhi, and want to start covering my head, start with patka, and hopefully go upwards and onwards from there with guru jis blessing, how do you tie a patka, and what material etc etc?

Girls usualy tie patka with their joora at the back of their heads

gosikh.com/patka.html

they should have some patka available.

Go for wither a medium or large.. depends on how large your joora is.

wear a dastaar now sis. its better to start coz later it just gets harder and u put it off more. i personally think all amritharis shud wear a dastaar/keksi rather than a patka. just go 4 it sis. i started of by wearing a dastaar just a couple of hours a day. then the odd day here and there and finally all the time.

Guest guest

Bhenji

First of all thanks for asking your question because after reading all the posts, I have found out that you can actually buy a patkar. I have been covering my hair for almost 6 weeks now although it feels more like 6 months. I brought a yard of mal mal and folded it into a triangle, put my hair in a bun and twisted the two ends, wrapping them around my bun, tidyin up any loose bits and securing it with a knot.

I had a hard time from my family for covering my hair and I still do, most likley because I'm 26 and my parents want me to get married n believe I wont be able to find a husband. If you get problems from family I would advise you to keep quiet.

I tried explaining why i wanted to wear it but when someone is angry, upset or whatever the last thing they are going to be able to do is listen and understand how you feel. Now whenever my family say anything I just dont say anything and it saves me a lot of pain because they can only say so much if you say nothing.

Bhenji I think whatever guru ji wants you to wear will come, you'll know, you wont need to ask a soul.

Wear a dastar when you are ready to carry its weight and recognize that your head is no longer yours, but it is Guru Sahibs. I am sick of people wearing dastars but still engaging in other stupid activities, it just brings shame to the name of Sikhi and Guru Sahib. I'm in no way saying you will do that, but make sure that when you take this step, it's from your heart and you have the desire to do it, otherwise it's just a false ritual (e.g. if you wear it to impress others or something). Dastar is extremely important in Sikhi - it's a symbol of our sovereignty and should be respected to the highest degree. I feel Gursikhs are slightly incomplete without a Dastar, so eventually, everyone should wear it or should at least have a joora on top of their head. But I also feel that whoever wears it should understand its significance and realize what they're representing.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Thanks to everyone for their replies, and I definately agree with the above post. To be honest I cannot wait to wear a dastaar, but at the moment I have pungah with my family and with lots of other things, and so I would never want to wear it whilst I didnt represent it correctly.

I am going to take it slowly and start wearing at patka at home and gurdwara (as soon as i can get some material, and learn what to do with it), and build up from there, hopefully everything will come slowly with time and guru ji will show me the right path to follow.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their input!

Fateh Ji