Should We Or Shouldn’t We

Sikhishop.com

Dear Sangat Ji

since opening the shop we have had many different types of people on buying items and most cases if they are not Sikh then refuse to sell them anything to do with 5 kakar.

We have had a order from a none sikh of 1 x SIKH KIRPAN (7-8 inches) GOLD TINT WITH GATRA ,1 x Heavy Sarabloh Sikh Karra (7 Lines, Jharri).

we responded with this e-mail

The items that you have ordered is part of the Sikh faith, from your name we can tell that you do not follow the Sikh faith. The Kirpan & Karra is held in highest regard as these items form two of the 5 ks of Sikhism. Sikhishop has a duty to make sure that the any part of Sikhism is not abused and all the 5ks looked after correctly. Please advise why you would want a karra and kirpan, if you do not want to reply or want to cancel the order we will refund the full cost of the item and we close the account you hold.

If you have any questions or comment please do not hesitate to contact us.

They have now responded with this

Only have just read your email as I thought it was simply a confirmation of

order.

Was going to send you an email as I was wondering where my order was.

I am producing a photograph of a funeral scene in a Welsh Church Yard in

which

one of the congregation is a Sikh. I have also lived in the Punjab for many

years

[Working for the British Council] and am well aware of the religious

sensitivities.

As the actor playing the part is not actually a Sikh I wish to portray him

as accurately

as possible with all the visible signs of being a Sikh.

I want to do rather more than simply stick a "turban" on his head

which is what I always see when actors not being Sikhs play the part. I have

tried to read as much as I can of Sikhism and encouraged the actor to do the

same.

I hope this answers your query.

Please give us your wisdom, it is not about the money before any say that!

Thank you.

Dont do it as no one involved is actually Sikh and what will happen with the Kirpan and Kara after it has been used for the photograph.

You should suggest to get a real Sikh instead to play the part as it is only for photography purposes and no acting is involved. So you wouldnt need a skilled actor to play the part.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

• 1 month later...

Dear Sangat Ji

We have another issues, we are looking for your wisdom!

My name is Sarah Clark and i am an education (BEd) student from the university of Hertfordshire. I am currently studying teaching R.E. and i am making a resource for teachers to look at to take ideas for their own lessons.

My resource would be for a lesson about taking care of artifacts and respecting different peoples faiths. It will be kept in a brand new hygenic zip up pocket where people can look at it and the importance that it has in your faith.

I would really love to have this item to represent your faith and show people how important artifacts are and how they should be looked after. But i can understand as i am not part of the Sikh faith that you may not feel this is worthy and i shall respect that.

Thankyou for your time and concern.

Should we or shouldn't we?

Guest peacemaker

I think you people are being too hard on these dear loving people. Give them everything or don't have the items for sale. That's my point of view. You question anyone because they don't have a sikh name and make the explain why they want it? Whatever happened to trust? This sounds quite backwards to me. Again, just don't sell the items if you are that scared of people abusing them!

My name is Sarah Clark and i am an education (BEd) student from the university of Hertfordshire. I am currently studying teaching R.E. and i am making a resource for teachers to look at to take ideas for their own lessons.

My resource would be for a lesson about taking care of artifacts and respecting different peoples faiths. It will be kept in a brand new hygenic zip up pocket where people can look at it and the importance that it has in your faith.

I would really love to have this item to represent your faith and show people how important artifacts are and how they should be looked after. But i can understand as i am not part of the Sikh faith that you may not feel this is worthy and i shall respect that.

Thankyou for your time and concern.

I think this should be okay, but please let her know of the correct ways to respect any kakkars or other items you give her.