Sikh Intermarriage

Guest dktsikh

Guest Sister in sikhi

if you love sikhism and waheguru then they should be your first priority if you know even 1% about your sikh history you would not dare to date outside the faith and ruin generations that will come after you because your kids will not care for sikhism, your contribution towards your faith will be in the negative and your karma will be badly effected. Girls think they are living a bollywood dream but when they ahve kids of they own they realise what a <banned word filter activated> they have been and why they dont want their daughters to behave the same iof they have any self respect and honour.

So before you even think of dating a non-sikh, remember who your lord is and the faith you belong to... if you dont care then change your name renouce your lord and become whatever you want to do not call yourself a sikh because you have betrayed your religion for some attention of a guy who has no love for your faith, your culture or your creator.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest

I think the whole situation arises frequently, especially in Western countries, because of the lack of initial education about Sikhi from the parents. Not entirely their fault, as they tried to give us a good start in life,considering their immigrant status-, good schooling, set up businesses for our future, and many accepted a western lifestyle (haircut stying, drinking, etc).

However, with this relaxed attitude, a alot of our kids have become a strange mixture of this western-asian culture, which goes clubbing, likes a glass of wine after dinner, and likes nothing better than driving around in their dads BMW with the boys.

If we read the Sikh Rehat Maryada:

http://damdamitaksaal.org/index.php?option...mp;limitstart=4

childrens education should be focussed with nurturing the spirit first, then the mind.

Anything which corrupts this, should be discouraged.

But, be honest- how many of us know os Sikh families that have alcohol-drinking members?

I think we, as the new generation have to take the first step, and let the turban-wearing, Guru-centred, non-alcohol-drinking Sikh be accepted as the norm in our culture... This will ensure the future of Sikhi.

• 5 months later...

I think to be "sikh" you are supposed to believe in equality and that no one person is better than another. in which case to marry out of religion should not be going against your religion but merely ignoring the divides society has put on people. God loves all regardless of religion, why should we be different.

Its such a cliqued argument, that I hear and read again and again. Oh he is so nice, he is so wonderful. I've been introduced to Sikhs but they were only Sikhs by name, they engaged in wrong n immoral activity etc.

I mean that is the standard line of thought that people use when trying to explain why they've not fallen for a sikh but have fallen for a non sikh.

I think to be "sikh" you are supposed to believe in equality and that no one person is better than another. in which case to marry out of religion should not be going against your religion but merely ignoring the divides society has put on people. God loves all regardless of religion, why should we be different.

That equality statement we need to think:

when we stand in line for something and try to stay away from the guy who is poor and don't have perfume smelling clothes on.

when we tell women to do things differently than men do.

when we slander others for not being as good as we are or our expectations of him/her were.

when we almost try to kill the begger looking guy on the road while we do leave room for professional looking person to go on his/her way.

Are we treating all the humans equal?? we always think we are the best. and try to put others down all the time.

But don't apply this equality statement when it matters how you are going to raise your future kids together when you and your spouse follow different paths.

How you gonna go to Gurudwara and some other temple/church in the evening. We can cross the river being only on one boat, not on two.

When you marry a person, it matters a lot what their philosphy about life is.

We all do some rituals, follow some procedure while following the faith. One partner just can't be standing there and looking around when you are required to do what ur partner is doing.

You can choose to cross these boundaries of religions, but you are choosing the hard road my friend. You are knowingly throwing some hurdles on your way. I know some couples who went beyond race, caste, religion, culture boundaries. The religious part of it is the one which creates most trouble as you have to bow to things/rituals/ceremonies that from heart you don't wanna do but just doing it for the sake of keeping the peace in house. You end up doing things which from heart you think are wrong to do and have no real meaning. You will be living the false life.

e.g. hindu religion beleives in moorti pooja, but sikhs don't. So to keep your spouse happy and peace in house, you would end up doing moorti pooja.

Hindus think sikhs are just bowing to a book (for them its a book, even though for Sikh, its Shabad Guru). So hindu would end up bowing to a so-called-book in his eyes. he won't do it out of love/respect. Similarly, you won't do mooorti pooja out of love/respect.

Take example of Muslim or christians, you will find out things which you would be required to do if you are a good follower, which your partner may not see as such.

so in a way you will be doing things against your wishes, and you will do it for the rest of your life, living a jhoothi zindgee.