Sikh Intermarriage

Guest dktsikh

I think point is Sikh is Sikh if he/she marries another Sikh. This is also the defination of sikh by SGPC (Sikh Gurdwara Act of 1925).

Inter-racial marriages are okay but inter-religion is different thing and it will never work if they wants to live spiritual life.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think inter-religious marriages are stupid and they dont work usually one party or both know less about their religions im not saying like i know everything but even i know it wouldnt work for me to marry a non sikh. first off the kids end up confused and think that both religions are the same when we KNOW they are not.......i mean the list is endless........people like that are selfish its all about me me me and they cant see the bigger picture.

• 2 months later...
Guest ERGO-PALANX

Non-Sikhs may marry whomsoever they please …

However cccording to the Sikh teachings/ guru ji dhi rehith maryada a GurSikh should only marry another GurSikh within the Khalsa panth. Within Sikhism there are (or should be) only GurSikhs, those who have their own interpretations (sahejdharis (shaven), nirankaris, radhaswamais, bakhandis hor gwancheh hoie manmat nuu manan waleh atheh auu jinah kaul koi anakh atheh aatmiq bal nahi hegah) of Sikhi are not Sikhs, simple as that. So yes it bodes true as someone mentioned earlier that religion may not be a deciding criterion when the aforesaid type of people consider someone for marriage but these people deciding on life partners other than Sikhs are not Sikhs nor do they care about what faith their progeny may wish to follow.

Indeed from observation I have seen that such unions end up with confused and often depressed children as they themselves have no idea which faith they want to follow. Some may retort that the children are given a choice/freedom but the reality of it through observation, is that the illusions of choice is only evident when the two partners are not steadfast in their own beliefs or it is something the male or female may imply to each other the existence of, in the beginning of a relationship to gain ground and trust. However later the agreement is denied and when important times are reached within the child’s lifetime such as marriage, sanctions are imposed such as he/she may only wed into the dominant partner’s religion an example from countless is of one Pakistani Muslim minister who wedded a Jewish woman (Love marriage) and on wedlock they agreed that if they had a boy he would marry a Muslim and when they were blessed with a girl she would marry a Jew. When the time came the couple was only able to conceive a daughter and yet when the time arrived for her to be wedded the father denied the initial agreement and wanted for his daughter to marry into a Muslim household unfortunately for him though his wife was no pushover and in the end his daughter happily wedded a Jew.

Nowadays kids get brainwashed (girls and guys) and then try to justify their deviation from the path of Sikhi by saying that it doesn’t matter who you marry because “Teh UbBer o:o0 waheguru ji said oval allah noore upaiyah kudhrat keh sab bandheh…ik nor seh so on and so forth”. It’s this kind of naivety and lazyness (for want of a better word) which allows them to get into the almighty messes you hear about but perhaps they deserve it and the severance of this weakness is a good thing for the panth…there never were many Sikhs to begin with but if Sikhs (Singh atheh Singhniya) can maintain their bal to the parity of sawa lakh and beyond and the bana of the guru ji uncorrupted by societal upheaval then we do not really need many wanabe sikhs.

please forgive me if i have offended anyone :0) :0) :0)

Jo Upjeo So Binas Hai Paro Aaj Ke Kaal!

Whatever is created will be gone today or tom. so it is up to you to be with Guru or be with someone will be gone in the future. Just like people said, you were fine before him and will be fine without him in the future. Nothing to worry about. Gurmat should become before anything else.

Vaaheguroo Jee Kaa Khaalsaa Vaaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!

Hey Phenjee,

I can totally sympathise with you on how your feeling although my situation is slightly different. I am a gora - teenager and really love sikhi. I've posted many posts about myself and sikhi asking for help with choosing my Guru or my family who will disown me if i convert when i'm older. What i can say though is, who do you love more- Vaaheguroo or your christian friend? This is a decision although maybe easy to make, is hard to actually undergo. I love Vaaheguroo so much but then I love my family? - Then i must think - Maharaj has been there for me through all my incarnations holding me close, he gives me breath, life, food, warmth all the time whether i remember his name of are enticed in maya - what a deal eh?! He has gave us this life to be liberated yeah, all that is around us will go one day but maharaj won't. I can really sympathise because i know one day i'll have to make a decision between family and God. You could say like everything is Vaaheguroo's hukam whether we see it as sweet or not - as all his will is sweet - its just our human emotions that make it seem bitter from time to time. If you ever got the stage of marriage would he go the gurdwara with you? How would your prospective children be brought up - with or without kesh? Amrit or not? Remember those souls will want to be liberated just like we all do to go where we came from but would you restrict this if that is what their destiny is? Don't get me wrong i love christianity like any religion but their beliefs vary yeah?

I would just follow your heart - this is an ultimate decision to make - but one you can only make by yourself. If you decide to eventually take things further with this guy just do it but choose wisely. Ignore all those who will slander and judge as you can bet they will still do it - just be happy. All i can say is I hope that your happy in whatever you choose and whether you marry a gursikh or a christian its in your life to do so but be happy and remember God forever. I'll do ardaas for you jee to hopefully it will help the situation.

Take care

Khalsa 123

• 1 year later...

I m a christian. I come little late to give u an advice. The truth is i dont practice religion much. But what I have to tell you is this: Follow what your hurt tells you or you ll never be happy. Forget about problems of what religion your children should follow. Your children want parents who love each other and them. Don't listen to people who say that you ll be fine without him. You probably will not. If you found the one love him until your death or until he prooves to be a <banned word filter activated>. (i hope he will not). I m in love with a sikh woman and i beleive all I get is rejection because you are raised in this culture you describe. And we both are unhappy with our lives. Of course she may simply not like me but this is not what i m getting from her. So if you passed the point where you are in a good relationship with him don't let it go. You are as happy as you ll ever be.If your parents care what other people have to say then they don't care about your happyness but about their prestige in the society. Love them but they cant dictate your life 4 ever.Being a nice person is to not hurt other people be honest and show sympathy and love. Do not feel guilty for loving a non sikh person.Religion is not what makes a people good or bad. His actions define who he is.

Hope you found happyness