Weddings

G. Singh

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't think a gursikh wedding means to keep everything simple...

it's a celebration...yes...you do the anand karaj and get guru sahib's blessings...but that doesn't mean you can't dress up how you want (so long as it is respectful to guru sahib)

yes simple is great...but it doesn't automatically equal so spiritual or whatnot...

one thing i do say is that we shouldn't be doing hindu rituals (like their religious ritual), especially if it is totally irrelevant to our lives...

i've been to weddings where there was a reception...no alcohol, no meat...and even the song selection for the dancing and whatnot was actually a good selection and NOT all about drinking and other things...

i've been to wedding where the couple didn't want to have a reception, instead the night before the wedding, all the family and friends were at the girl's house having nice dinner, there was speeches made by the brothers and friends of the goom, some people sang some songs and it was a great night with people just laughing and socializing....and then in the morning the anand karaj was done with utmost respect...in fact the kirtani singh did so much simran during the lavaan and the couple stood until the simran was finished and then matha teked..

and in the evening they chose to have kirtan again...and the next morning starting at amritvela simran, nitnem, asa di vaar...

also people have spoken out against the doli....i am not sure of the origins of that ceremony..but from what i've seen at the doli...i don't think it's against gursikhi...i mean..you go to the girl's house...her sisters have fun with the groom, making him do silly things before he can get into the house...everyone has a huge laugh, and then everyone chills, people get to socialize, the families get to know one another...and then the girl goes home to the boy's family...

but maybe others know more about the ceremony...there might be rituals that other families do during this time which makes it against gursikhi...i haven't such rituals...

I totally agree with jss veer ji. There should be fun during the weddings and we shouldn't stop only at that. Many of our relatives drink sharaban and eat meat and we should be taking care of everyone on such an auspicious occasion. I mean its not us drinking sharab but we all know marriage is like a big function before we step into a new phase of our life. So i feel no one should be left complaning about anything.

Jidda punjabi ch kehnde aa na.. koi kammi peshi ni rehni chahidi. So do everything as is done in a typical punjabi wedding. Make everyone happy. Just remember you are trying to satisfy the world by serving sharaban and what not BUT you are clean. So don't worry about anything.. let the guests have fun and pull some sick bhangra moves ....buuuuuuurrrrrrr@@@@@@hhhhhh

:lol:

where did i say in my post to start having meat and shaarab??

the point of my post was that if it's not simple...doesn't mean automatically it's not gurmat....

and a celebration doesn't mean alcohol and meat...if that's what it means in your family...then that's your definition of it...not mine...

you can still have parties where there is no alcohol and no meat..and people still having a good time, socializing and being decent...

weddings theses days are like mela's man.

its crazy. and all what happens in marriage? totally against what our gurus have said....

ok, first everybody gets drunk, and then goes and sits in front of guru ji. sweet...

sounds like fun to me.......

guru ji gets happy when he sees us eating meat and drinking right? i bet he has fun when he sees us do that right? rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

i dont care whos wedding it is, or what fuction it is.

there are simple things that sikhs should not be doing (meat/drinking)

..i dont care who you are....sikhy is sikhy and there is no exception......