Applying The Word "sh"

Guest Guest

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one can pronounce baani as written. How do you know that the first two alphabets are to be pronounced as "Ik Oankaar" and not something else?

Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee has written in his book that bindi (nasal sound) is a must for shudh uchaaran. Please read "Gurbani diyaan laga maatra dee vilakhanta" and you will see how Bhai Sahib has advised us to use nasal sound.

As for sh and z sounds, I have explained this in the Jap jee Sahib thread on our site. There are 35 alphabets but far more sounds. In Punjabi that we learn today there are up to 42 alphatets to accomodate for more sounds but in Gurmukhi there are only 35 sounds. Many alphabets have more than one sound e.g. jajja and zazza, sassa and shasha, kakka and qaqqa, fafa and phapha etc.

I will stick to Taksaal teaching. I have tried putting in the Bindiya where needed but that makes it too many. Even words like Desh and Updesh. And the mind gets caught up in where to put the "sh" or the "z" in.

This is why it is essential to learn gurbani from one of the taksals who were made for this very purpose. To brush something off as 'it was common sense' is a manmat phrase, as guru sahib clearly says again and again and again in gurbani that we have 'no sense' that our minds are full of rubbish and that it is our mind that leads us off the gurus path. So to have faith in this 'common sense' over the written word of gurbani, is not a smart idea.

Vaahiguroo...I totally agree...

what I meant in my post is taht in normal, everyday talking/writing bindeean were not used...so let's say someone in a letter to a friend (not GurbaaNee) mentioned Sree Guroo Harkrishan Sahib Jee...they would right HarkriSan...but the person reading the letter would know that it's HarkriSHan...

sry for the confusion

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Its doesn't matter how you or some read it! You should be able to know the meaning of it and apply the lesson to your daily life! The SH or S doesn't make a difference. Again, SH te S vich koee farq nahi! Mutlab pta huna chaheeda te uss nu apne te aml karo!

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

-Jiwanjot Singh

Gurbani is not just punjabi.. it has Sanskrit, Farsi, sindhi, dingli, arbi, ... at that time punjabi did not have bindi but the lanuages in which bani is had bindis look at farsi for example... so punjabi is the scripture.. and if the shabad is in sanskrit thn we should be reading sh and not s where applicable.. like its Ashtpadi ( means 8 pads.. asht is 8 in sanskrit) .. ast has no meaning..