The Army And Me

hellosingh

hey all its been a while now that i been thinking and wanting to join the british army but i aint for sure if its the right thing to do,

i always been interested but i havent had the actual courage to take the next step and join. also being a sikh it is very important to

follow the guru's path as much as possible although i know i can do a lot better to serve my guru. the reason why i am not 100% sure on joining the army is because of the war in iraq, many people i have spoken to say that the war is unjust and that many innoent people have died which is a huge paap in sikhi, but on the other hand the army are there to create a better enviroment for the iraqi people so that in the future they can live in peace. my mom says she will be proud of me if i join but 1 of my mates says

that it will be hard to begin a family life once i get married and have kids

i watch many inspiratinal videos of sikh soliders in the world wars and i have admired their courage and at the samet ime kept their identiy while fightin on the front line, i just want the sangat views on what i should do as 1 day hopefully in the future i will want to take amrit

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bhaji, I was in the same situation as you a coupe of years ago!! I'm only 18 yet but have always wanted to join the Army!!! It just looked realy cool to me!! tongue.gif

Back then, I got involved in the Army Cadets which used to meet up twice a week and give you an insight into the Army life. Back in April 2007 I joined the Territorial Army. The territorial army (TA) is the part time army. I do this aswell as my studies. There are different regiments and corps depending on the type of Job you want. I'm in the Royal Police Regiment based at West Bromwich.

(CHECK THIS OUT FOR MORE INFO http://www.army.mod.uk/unitsandorgs/ta/index.htm)

I still want to join the regular army after doing my degree at Uni and can honestly say, that whilst being in the Army cadets and TA, I have not had to comprise my Sikhi..Sikhs have a long tradition of serving in the Armed forces and I think it will be brilliant if you decide to take up the service..

Hope this helps!!

• 1 month later...

I was considering the air force but there's too much racism in the armed forces and the soldiers are out of control. Did you hear the news about the British soldiers based in Cyprus this week? They went on a rampage and started attacking the locals. In Iraq soldiers carry out secret massacres and rape women. I would think very hard about it. Sure it might look cool but if you ever fight in a war you'll never be the same again.

I was considering the air force but there's too much racism in the armed forces and the soldiers are out of control. Did you hear the news about the British soldiers based in Cyprus this week? They went on a rampage and started attacking the locals. In Iraq soldiers carry out secret massacres and rape women. I would think very hard about it. Sure it might look cool but if you ever fight in a war you'll never be the same again.

I'm sure the British Soldiers aren't ordered to do this. In fact, I'm sure many are against it. If Singh goes, there will be one more soldier that has some morals and principles.

What if you have to fight in a war that you didn't agree with?

The problem is that soldiers have no say over where and what they are fighting for. I couldn't really defend myself if I was in some country where I wasn't wanted just because (for instance) my government wanted to control its oil resources for obvious reasons.

Being a soldier is complicated and you have to ask whether you may become an instrument of some sort of corruption or activity that lacks morality. Because once your in you have to follow orders.

I know in the past Singhs got caught up in morally wrong wars (i.e. the Opium wars in China) due to this.

Make your choice but be clued up. Don't get stuck in some romanticised notions of what being a soldier is about. Think of the reality. What will you be fighting for?

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

A great way to find out more is by the website, http://armyjobs.mod.uk/

There are so many jobs within the army you get spoilt for choice, I personally believe that it would be great to have a Sikh regiment, and even though the go ahead was soon dropped due to fears of racism, it wasn't a satisfactory excuse. The more people we have in the army, the closer we may come to such a regiment coming true. Along with Sikhs being in the army more people learn of us and our ways.

The type of racism in army as stated in previous posts, as we know only come from the narrow minded and usually the less educated, it may be stereotyped, but in my view would only come from some of the infantry men, regiments such as the Engineers, logistics, intelligence, signals all have men and women working for them with brains. The British army is shaking off this dilemma of it being a racist institution, so anything of the sort will not be tolerated, but please remember army banter will always be present.

Also as Sikhs we should always be ready, so great way of increasing our discipline and getting the best training in the world.

p.s.

In regards of the war on Iraq, even if it was a unjust war, that burden will stay with the politicians consciences for their lives and they will get their comeuppance, when you join, join with the heart to do good, by not harming civilian lives, giving democracy to countries which are enslaved, something we take for granted alot. Also places such as Afghanistan where Sikhs were being persecuted for following their religion.

Also don't pay too much attention to the media, they would much rather put the scandal on the front page ranther than a service man givien up his life for this country.

Guru Gobind Singh is my general, and he will never tell the panth to fight an unjust war. Britian invaded iraq and made it a worse country then before. It was all for oil, why work for a corrupt ungodly army for greed etc. They are causing pain and suffering to the iraqi people, ask all the mums who have lost little kids and little kids who have no limbs etc due to the british bombing their land. Life is hell in iraq all due to US and UK. if they wanted sadam they could have got him in many other ways.