Italian Sikhs

Punjabi_Link

I came up across an article about Italian Sikhs and I am shocked that there is actually good amount of Sikhs living in Italy. In fact, Italy has second largest Sikh community in Europe. So I was wondering, what is their history? Why suddenly Sikhs are moving to Italy? What is so special about Italy? Isn’t racism and fascism are major issues in Italy?

Here's the link of article: http://www.nriinternet.com/EUROPE/ITALY/20...604Gurdwara.htm

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to Rome in December and saw lots of Bangladeshis. They sell souvenirs on the streets. There are quite a lot of immigrants in Italy, but I don't think they have as much status as in UK, Canada, America. Most of the Sikhs work in agriculture.

What I don't get is when people complain about racism in these countries. You are going to a foreign country, you look different to the majority and you have a different culture. Do you expect people to welcome you with arms wide open? When people from other countries come to India they probably encounter similar problems. But do you complain then?

Too many people are leaving punjab for a so called better life. However they don't make much of an effort to blend in. They carry on the bad practices like urinating on the street (I've seen numerous freshies doing this) or cooking turka daal all the time. Of course it's going to put people off. They speak loud punjabi in the streets.

These people usually pay a lot of money to come over, they should just save the money and start a business or something in India.

Things aren't that bad in India, especially Punjab where there is a lot less poverty. It's just greed making people want to leave. Instead of blending in they want to create another Punjab wherever they go and this is what annoys the locals.

Italy is the connection of India to UK.

Most of the illegal youth in Greece and Italy wants to get in UK. I personnaly have witnessed this as a band of 15-20 Punjabis came here 1 month ago. They came from Italy and are wanting to go to UK. Thats why. There are around 70,000 Sikhs in Italy but most of them are money.

All the Illegal Imigrant Sikhs I know have come UK via Italy and Greece... and some KeshDharis I met in India decided to settle in Italy for a "better life" but they could only get jobs in agriculture and thats after they cut their Kesh.

Most Illegals work in Italy and Greece as berry pickers etc getting very low wages untill they earn enough to give to an agent who will take them across Europe at £10,000 sometimes... Ive heard some sad stories about Guys dieing in European Forests and running across motorways to having to stay hungry for weeks hiding out in Factories. Even heard stories about them becoming sex workers :D

In London these two Punjabi guys jumped out of nowhere seeing a singh and started begging me for money as they had Euros only and they were all cut etc was really bad. I gave them bus fair sent them to nearest Gurdwara to eat something; I still wonder where they are now :s

If anyone sees them just when they've come; you can tell from their face that they have been through alot to get here... but is it work it? 50p a hour some get; whilst living in cramped rooms always in fear. I wonder how many have died trying to get through.

^^ Judging by your English it sounds like you may have come from Greece or Italy lol.

Life is better for these people in India. It's not like they are getting massacred. They get food, shelter have a comfortable lifestyle and are surrounded by friends and family. The ones that come over have very little chance to ever get married and earn very little despite busting their backs.

A big reason for them coming over is that they see NRI's on holiday in Punjab wearing fancy clothes and jewelery and having the latest gadgets. They think by moving abroad they can have all of this. What they don't understand is that the NRI's only behave like this on their holidays while the rest of the time they are busy working, paying bills, mortgages etc.

I've got an uncle and aunt who have come to England the past two summers. Their aim is to settle their 16 year old son here eventually. Sure England is nice in the summer but it's another story in the depressing January, February and March. They don't see the full picture. They have a better and easier life in India where they don't work anywhere near as hard as we do here.

^thats the thing...all the illegals I know personally have a pretty comfortable living in Punjab; But I suppose there are some that struggle.

And I agree with Shamshere they allured here by looking at how we act in India... I have many relatives that come here illegally but didnt really have to.

and ohmy.gif I speak Queens English!!! :D You commoner! :s

They don't have enough to eat? There are lots of fat people in Punjab. I couldn't believe how many there were when I went last year. In Punjab being a bit fat is seen as a good thing as it shows your 'thakra'. I was called skinny just because I was normal weight. The only people in Punjab who don't get enough food are the beggers and they all come from other states.

The mentality of people in Punjab is messed up big time. It is all about show and flash. They want things quick but never think about the long term consequences. I was watching a programme on partition once where one guy joked 'A Hindu will deal with a problem before it comes, a muslim will deal with it when it comes and a Sikh will deal with it after it has gone.'

It reports are true then it looks like water will run out in Punjab because everyone is sucking the ground dry. People need to think about the future.

Countries like Italy and Greece are more chosen by these guys because although it is more dangerous because of the sea voyage but there is less chance of getting caught than if they try entering through a land border. Italy is a good place because every few years over the last decade they have given amnesty to any illegals who have been in the country for a specific number of years. Once they become legal residents they can then come over to the UK. Some of these guys get citizenship by marrying some local women. A few years ago in Delhi airport I met a Filipino lady was was a Portugese citizen who was going to Punjab to get married to an Apna from a village near Amritsar. They had met in Portugal and he had had to go back to India and she was going there to marry him. They then planned to move to the UK.

The thing is that although it's good to see Apnay doing well in places like Greece and Italy, I think it's much better for those guys to come over to the UK rather than settle in those countries. There's much less racism here plus there are always plenty of work for then if they come legally.