Italian Sikhs

Punjabi_Link

Sunny Bond Singh,

Anyone who gets residency in any of the EU countries has a right to settle in another EU country. That's why we've had 650,000 Polish people move to the UK in the last 3-4 years! I'm not advocating a Sikh majority country in Europe, just that it is-;

1. Easier for new migrants to settle in a country that already has a long established Sikh community. UK has the oldest.

2. Being able to live amongst a long established community allows migrants to keep their turbans instead to having to face abuse or awkward questions about their appearance. I'm sorry to learn that you and fellow Sikhs are having such a bad time in Belgium. But think about this, why not move to the UK where you will not get any of these problems?

3. Racism is much less in UK than in the rest of Europe. The fights that Sikhs are having to fight in Belgium, Italy and France have already been fought by Sikhs in the UK in the 1970s.

4.There's no chance that a no Turbans policy in schools would ever be implemented in the UK. Personally I don't know why Sikhs who have French citizenship would want to remain in a shythole like France which doesn't have any respect for their religion. If they've done well in France economically then they would easily be able to make it over in the UK. Why pay your taxes and contribute to a national economy which dispises you? Why not have the 5000 off hardworking Sikhs of France who would be an asset to the UK come over here and the French can keep their millions of car burning and benefit claiming North Africans!

5. New migrants are more likely to keep areas of older Sikh settlement (such as Southall) as Sikh areas because as Sikhs from Southall move out to other areas then migrants can move in and keep areas where the oldest and largest Gurdwaras are into Sikh areas.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow you ARE RIght brother!!!

Really good points.. But i already asked my father the same question long tme ago, he simply said: The illegal Sikhs can move to other countries, but legal ones not, because Sikh are hardworking and allmost each legal sikh in europe has bussiness, house(s) etc. They won't sell it only to go to a Sikh majority country.

And I didnt know what to say on that..

But I agree with you. As I already said around or more than 20 money Sikh from Italy have come to belgium to go to the UK. So many illegal sikhs are immigrating to UK. But legal ones is very difficult.

-If- allmost all Sikh from other EU countries move to UK, the UK Sikh population wil be like: UK Sikhs (750,000), Belgium Sikhs (10,000), France Sikhs (10,000), Italy Sikhs (70,000), Greece Sikhs (5,000), Sweden Sikhs (3,000), Russian Sikhs (6,000), Iceland Sikhs (300), Kazakhstan Sikhs (800), Danmark Sikhs (700), Switzerland Sikhs (300) and many more will result into a million Sikhs in the UK.

Punjabi Link

I'm thinking more in terms of places in the USA where Sikhs are already living in well established communities. Yuba City comes to mind as one such place. Obviously Sikhs migrating to redneck areas are going to face the same racism as they face in Europe. Even in the UK if Sikhs were to live in small villages in the countryside then there would also be some form of racism.

I work with a lot of Indian IT workers in the UK and they say in places like Gurgoan in Haryana you can earn a high salary and have a better standard of living than the UK. They have all the western shopping malls , live in big khotis and drivers take to them to work. Haryana was part of the old Punjab and has been developed much more than present Punjab by the Government, in fact there is a shortage of graduates in Gurgoan. But I hear very few Punjabi/Sikh graduates going to work there, is this due to discrimination or just laziness?

Part of the problem is that Punjabi youth think by going abroad they will be living a glamour lifestyle , rather than just financial improvement as a motivation ,and will leave the Punjab at all costs. Rather than fight for their rights in the like in the 80's they all just want to leave. This has caused a brain drain in Punjab and led to the decline of Sikhi as the youth want to adopt a 'Western Lifestyle'.r

lsingh,

thats the case with 50% only, not with all... once i heard on tv that many were caught in iraq or something and some were punjabi sik... and most of them had no more than 1 acre of land... and most of them had already sold it or put on mortgage... and the 50% ur refering to not only go for the lifestyle but also to sponsor their relatives, kids (if they're married), wife (if they're married), etc

punjabi link, i keep googling hours sometimes andkeep collecting info on many things like the khalistan movement, sikhs outside india, etc

proactive, why didnt u answer me

My 2 paise,

Sikhs from Punjab generally would prefer to emigrate to an English speaking country, whether it be UK, US or Canada rather than a non English speaking country.

In my opinion, Australia (particularly Melbourne)is the new Canada for Sikhs, there are thousands of kids from Punjab going on "Student Visas" because apparently you can get into Australia easier on Student Visa because the English Language Standards tests (IELTS and TOFL) needed are lower in Australia than the UK/Canada/USA, this is one of the reasons you are seeing English teaching colleges offering IELTS (stands for International English Language Testing Standard or something like that) mushrooming, particularly in Jallndhar.

You will find that they are all doing courses such as "Hospitality Management" or "Hotel Management" which is a bit of dosser course like Business Information Systems at TVU/South Bank is for some of the dosser UK Sikhs. Funny thing is that they go to Melbourne and they are all "Student Cab Drivers".

They are all going there because apparently after 2 years they become Pukkeh.

My 2 paise,

Sikhs from Punjab generally would prefer to emigrate to an English speaking country, whether it be UK, US or Canada rather than a non English speaking country.

In my opinion, Australia (particularly Melbourne)is the new Canada for Sikhs, there are thousands of kids from Punjab going on "Student Visas" because apparently you can get into Australia easier on Student Visa because the English Language Standards tests (IELTS and TOFL) needed are lower in Australia than the UK/Canada/USA, this is one of the reasons you are seeing English teaching colleges offering IELTS (stands for International English Language Testing Standard or something like that) mushrooming, particularly in Jallndhar.

You will find that they are all doing courses such as "Hospitality Management" or "Hotel Management" which is a bit of dosser course like Business Information Systems at TVU/South Bank is for some of the dosser UK Sikhs. Funny thing is that they go to Melbourne and they are all "Student Cab Drivers".

They are all going there because apparently after 2 years they become Pukkeh.

True, melbourne has loads of new sikhs. Sikhs also go melbourne because it is cheaper than sydney and better for new students. The cab driver thing is also true, i was in melbourne for 3 days and saw about 20 sikh cab drivers. Lately i have seen many new sikh students in sydney also e.g at gurdwaras and when i was at airport to pick up my mom and brother, there were about 50 other sikhs just at that particular area(the only language u could hear was punjabi woohoo.gif ) and majority of them were students(too bad majority of them had cut there kesh :D ). But its hard life for anyone who comes here on student visas because there is this rule they cannot work more than about 36hours. Then they gotta go uni, do assignments, work, pay rent and other bills.......

"But its hard life for anyone who comes here on student visas because there is this rule they cannot work more than about 36hours. Then they gotta go uni, do assignments, work, pay rent and other bills......."

If there is anything I learnt from seeing new immigrants from Punjab, whether they have gone in a legal capacity or not is that they will find ways to go around these things, whether their true intentions is to study remains to be seen.

I can expect this visa to be excessively flouted in the next few years (if you are familiar with the term asking for an inch and taking a mile), I will probably expect that Australia will toughen up this Visa after a few years, maybe by increasing the English standard or even increasing the amount of years to become pukkeh

Apparently 30,000 "students" from Punjab left for Australia in 2006/2007- that's according to my brother in law, the majority of his buddies have left for Melbourne.