Talking

I get fedup going to my nearest Gurdwara which is 30 minutes drive away. Its not the driving but some of the Sangat there.

1. NONE STOP talking whilst Kirtan is going on. The louder the kirtan the louder they talk.!!!!

2. Why cant families control their children! Its very difficult to listen to a katha when there are kids screaming and or making a nuisance of themselves plus #1 above.

In a church, everyone sings along to hyms and are generally very quite when the preacher is preaching.

BUT NOT IN A GURDWARA!!!!!

Why is that?

Is that a real "sadh sangat" as mentioned in Gurbani?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love it when kids run around tongue.gif . Some of them come and stand right in front of you and give you a good look for a few seconds. You pull them and have them sit in your lap and fold their hands, they are not interested. They will sit there for a few seconds and run away.

This is what happened some 2 months ago. I went with my flatmate and his cousin (both non-Punjabi Hindus) to the Gurdwara. They sat behind me. After a while needed to go to the restroom. They left, and 2 other guys (again, 2 non-Punjabi Hindus) came and sat down behind me. As they sat, they were talking and laughing kind of loudly. Now I got irritated, and didn't know it was some other 2 guys. I turned around, and with my index finger on my lips, uttered a loud "ssshhhhhhhhh" with a look of :) . To my shock, it was not the 2 guys I was expecting as I thought it was my flatmate and his cousin LOL.gif . The dude who was laughing was now looking at me like :@:) . Fer I told him "oh I thought its someone else". 2 minutes later I turned around again, and he was gone LOL.gif .

I won't suggest this tongue.gif , but it can work tongue.gif .

i agree with UK Gupt Kaur and Rupinder Singh

but heres the thing i think we fail to add...

rather than us complain and grumble about it on an internet forum, lets pluck up the courage to ask persons talking to be quiet.

it works - i tried it, you need to be polite, but do it in front of all their friends rather than 1 specific person whose talking, if you want - sweetly shame them into being quiet!

"Bibi Ji, usee kirtan soonun aye hun, hath jor kay bayntee ah kay jay tuseen khaas dayaan gulaan kurnay hun, darbar sahib vich naa kuro"

then the smile!!

I have nothing againts kids/babies in Gurdwara. All I am saying is there is a level of noise and the length of this disruption where the parents or family knows that they should get up and take a break.

For eg. A granny and a young mum (i am guessing) of this kids was actually playing with the 3 kids as if they were at home.

They were saying things loudly like :

"ah jap phi pah" (come give me hug)

"phar lia phar lia" (caught him or something like that) I cant really remember all that was said as I tried to pull my concentration back to Kirtan and singing along.

Children being naughty is one thing but when growns up are encouraging them to play and run around is another.

If I did that when i was young i would get a slap across the head without delay!!!

So on my eft was this noisy family and infront on the left hand side were 2 older ladies gossiping!. One lady was learning constantly into her friend and gossiping into her ear!!!!!!!!!

I use to sit at the back so I thought I will sit in the front section this time. NO DIFFERENCE.!!!

the worst is people having loud conversations on their phone... I understand if you forgot to put phone on silent or switched off but there's no need to answer it and have a full blown convo blink.gif

Bibya gossiping at the back off the hall ohmy.gif ...I dont think they realise how loud they are untill someone makes an annoucement :@

Kids running around is alright; its only when they start screaming that it becomes distracting.

Another thing I always pick up on and notice when maybe I shouldnt is the amount of people that dont cover thier heads anymore, espically at weddings/family Langer with guys not wanting to ruin their spiked style and women wanting to show thier new fringe cut :):)

People have just generally started losing respect for the sanctity of the Gurdwara I think.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

I agree this is a big problem. Singhs should start doing Peradhar seva at weekend diwans in full Baana and Shaaster and enforce certain disciplines such as no talking in the Darbar Sahib, having heads covered at all times in the Gurdwara Sahib, not to wear caps or hoods in the Gurdwara Sahib etc..

We need to go back to puratan Maryada, a lot of our elders have flopped it but lets be the change we wanna see.

Bhull Chuk Maarf Karni

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh