Can I Wear Mala Like This?

I personally do not understand why we people wear a mala, the following are shabads in relation to malas:

ਗਲਿ ਮਾਲਾ ਤਿਲਕੁ ਲਿਲਾਟੰ ॥ ਦੁਇ ਧੋਤੀ ਬਸਤ੍ਰ ਕਪਾਟੰ ॥ ਜੇ ਜਾਣਸਿ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੰ ਕਰਮੰ ॥ ਸਭਿ ਫੋਕਟ ਨਿਸਚਉ ਕਰਮੰ ॥ ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਿਹਚਉ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥ ਵਿਣੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਵਾਟ ਨ ਪਾਵੈ ॥੨॥ {ਪੰਨਾ 470}

ਸਲੋਕ ਭਗਤ ਕਬੀਰ ਜੀਉ ਕੇ ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥ ਕਬੀਰ ਮੇਰੀ ਸਿਮਰਨੀ ਰਸਨਾ ਊਪਰਿ ਰਾਮੁ ॥ ਆਦਿ ਜੁਗਾਦੀ ਸਗਲ ਭਗਤ ਤਾ ਕੋ ਸੁਖੁ ਬਿਸ੍ਰਾਮੁ ॥੧॥ {ਪੰਨਾ 1364}

ਕਬੀਰ ਜਪਨੀ ਕਾਠ ਕੀ ਕਿਆ ਦਿਖਲਾਵਹਿ ਲੋਇ ॥ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਰਾਮੁ ਨ ਚੇਤਹੀ ਇਹ ਜਪਨੀ ਕਿਆ ਹੋਇ ॥੭੫॥ {ਪੰਨਾ 1368}

There are loads of shabads in gurbani which present the same message.

I think you have to look at these Shabad from a different perspective than the one you've taken.

I think these words are being spoken towards hypocrites who adorn these Malas but lack the Simran within. Wearing these Malas, a Tilak, Dhoti etc which gives the impression that one is Dharmic yet they lack the Dharmicness within.

Mala can be a great aid in your Saadhna given that it is worn with the correct intentions, not as an ornament in which case the shabads you've posted do apply to. But this does not apply to malas alone, ones 1 meter dumala decorated with khandas can be in the same example. If it has simply become a fashion statement then obviously the intention and message has been lost.

Veera jee, han jee guru jee is talking about hypocrites in the first shabad, but look at what kabir jee is saying in the second shabad which I posted:

ਸਲੋਕ ਭਗਤ ਕਬੀਰ ਜੀਉ ਕੇ ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥ ਕਬੀਰ ਮੇਰੀ ਸਿਮਰਨੀ ਰਸਨਾ ਊਪਰਿ ਰਾਮੁ ॥ ਆਦਿ ਜੁਗਾਦੀ ਸਗਲ ਭਗਤ ਤਾ ਕੋ ਸੁਖੁ ਬਿਸ੍ਰਾਮੁ ॥੧॥ {ਪੰਨਾ 1364}

Clearly Kabir jee is saying that his mala is Wahegurus nam. so mala is redefined and nam is our mala. Now if some people want to keep using a mala, they can do because end of the day they are still remembering Gods name. However veer jee im stuck in bharam and fail to understand how moving beads on a mala is an aid? what does it do to make your mind contemplate on nam? How can having a mala around your waist or around your dastar be used as an aid? what are you supposed to do, move the mala around your waist while reciting?

I do mean to offend people who wear malas or just argue for the sake of arguing, but like I said i have this bharam and fail to understand the idea of having malas around your waist and on your dastar.

Green simrana on the left is Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji's.

Think the blue one on the right is Mata Ganga Ji's.

These are in the possession of Sain Makhdoom Syed Chan Pir Qadri, the 19th descendant of Sain Hazrat Mian Mir Ji who laid the foundation stone of Sri Harmandar Sahib.

post-3125-1204884848_thumb.jpg

I personally do not understand why we people wear a mala, the following are shabads in relation to malas:

ਗਲਿ ਮਾਲਾ ਤਿਲਕੁ ਲਿਲਾਟੰ ॥ ਦੁਇ ਧੋਤੀ ਬਸਤ੍ਰ ਕਪਾਟੰ ॥ ਜੇ ਜਾਣਸਿ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੰ ਕਰਮੰ ॥ ਸਭਿ ਫੋਕਟ ਨਿਸਚਉ ਕਰਮੰ ॥ ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਿਹਚਉ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥ ਵਿਣੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਵਾਟ ਨ ਪਾਵੈ ॥੨॥ {ਪੰਨਾ 470}

ਕਬੀਰ ਜਪਨੀ ਕਾਠ ਕੀ ਕਿਆ ਦਿਖਲਾਵਹਿ ਲੋਇ ॥ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਰਾਮੁ ਨ ਚੇਤਹੀ ਇਹ ਜਪਨੀ ਕਿਆ ਹੋਇ ॥੭੫॥ {ਪੰਨਾ 1368}

I think you have to look at these Shabad from a different perspective than the one you've taken.

I think these words are being spoken towards hypocrites who adorn these Malas but lack the Simran within. Wearing these Malas, a Tilak, Dhoti etc which gives the impression that one is Dharmic yet they lack the Dharmicness within.

Mala can be a great aid in your Saadhna given that it is worn with the correct intentions, not as an ornament in which case the shabads you've posted do apply to. But this does not apply to malas alone, ones 1 meter dumala decorated with khandas can be in the same example. If it has simply become a fashion statement then obviously the intention and message has been lost.

Veera jee, han jee guru jee is talking about hypocrites in the first shabad, but look at what kabir jee is saying in the second shabad which I posted:

Clearly Kabir jee is saying that his mala is Wahegurus nam. so mala is redefined and nam is our mala. Now if some people want to keep using a mala, they can do because end of the day they are still remembering Gods name. However veer jee im stuck in bharam and fail to understand how moving beads on a mala is an aid? what does it do to make your mind contemplate on nam? How can having a mala around your waist or around your dastar be used as an aid? what are you supposed to do, move the mala around your waist while reciting?

I do mean to offend people who wear malas or just argue for the sake of arguing, but like I said i have this bharam and fail to understand the idea of having malas around your waist and on your dastar.

Beloved veer ji,

There is nothing like a direct experience so I suggest you take a mala, any mala you can get your hands on and move each bead "Awarefully" and consciously to the other side while reciting Waheguru. Be honest with your intentions, don't use the mala to further prove your view of it being useless rather it is important that you be neurtral in your thought. Give it a few days and see how it is, if it helps gather your mind great, if it doesn't that too is great.

It is not wise for us to think that every method of Simran be it using ones breath or mala will work for everyone...Just as one piece of clothing does not fit all....for some it is hard to wrap their mind around it, for other it falls short and they feel it is useless.

These aids are mostly for beginners and the shabad that you posted is expressing an experience of someone who has reached his goal. We certainly cannot expect to sit down one day and be in the state of Bhagat Kabeer ji as expressed in the Shabad. It is a progressive journey and on the path we need all the help we can get. Like training wheels for a child, they are a means to an end. The mind collects at that one bead, at that one instant of his name being spoke, in that one moment that one bead is held in the fingers and moved down.

Here is a Sufi Kafi I heard once..

Tasbi kay daano ko Bhikarnay nahi daytay, Kio?

Yay Jisko Banatay hai Bigarnay nahi daytay.

(I hope you can understand it, its in urdu. Tasbi is another name for Mala)

As for a Mala being worn around ones neck, waist...that i cannot answer as I've never done it nor inquired as to the reasonings behind it. Perhaps it is for the same reason a General will wear his medals...a reminder to him from where he has come, the journey he has taken. Now the interesting this here is, while the General has earned all those medals with his hard work....has the Sikh earned his right to adorn himself with such symbols, Malas etc or are they done out of decorations? Perhaps you should ask someone face to face why they are wearing such items and what is their intentions. I'd love to know myself.

waheguroo those are impresive pictures :@ dear sunderjit singh lol if the sarbloh mala has chrome on it its not the end of the world just put the desi lemon powder on it leave it ova night and it goes away and looks really nice. a lot of gursikhs now and in the past have worn sarbloh maleh can some enlighten dass about the maleh that the guru sahibha wore as from the pictures they arent sarbloh are there spiritual or circumstances that they arent. plz dont take this the wrong way dass is still a learner WAHEGUROOO

lol

u can wear any mala man dw about it

sarbloh, gold, wood, w.e

sarblohs not magical or anything

guru nanak dev je used to punjk the brahmins because they had become englufled in obsession with stuff like this

its not gonna effect ure spirtuality, because it has nothing to do with it

u wanna wear a mala go ahead

the thuks from banee are not meaning dont wear a mala btw, read it properly man

thinkabout wat guru jes saying

they dont need a amala anywayz

but its not saying its bad o have one

pheena had some gud points

a malas a mala

were to obnssesed with outside stuff

like wearing cholai and stuff, its just a cloth, just like any other shirt or w.e

ure spirtuality will in no way go up if u wear something, it might jus go down cuz ure taking the aim of bhagthi

conecntraate on ure naam jaap and nitnem, do it with concentration and pyaar

thgas the main thing, dont let anyone tell u its wrong to wear malas

thas gotta be the craziest thing ive heard

i have done darshans sant baba karam singh ji hoti mardan naam simren malla which they made in childhood it didnt have stones etc ... its just simple big knots made by mahapursh themself ... just sharing ...

as far as topic is concerned wear it if u do it at least 5 times a day ... else its not good thats what i think personally

Beloved veer ji,

There is nothing like a direct experience so I suggest you take a mala, any mala you can get your hands on and move each bead "Awarefully" and consciously to the other side while reciting Waheguru. Be honest with your intentions, don't use the mala to further prove your view of it being useless rather it is important that you be neurtral in your thought. Give it a few days and see how it is, if it helps gather your mind great, if it doesn't that too is great.

It is not wise for us to think that every method of Simran be it using ones breath or mala will work for everyone...Just as one piece of clothing does not fit all....for some it is hard to wrap their mind around it, for other it falls short and they feel it is useless.

These aids are mostly for beginners and the shabad that you posted is expressing an experience of someone who has reached his goal. We certainly cannot expect to sit down one day and be in the state of Bhagat Kabeer ji as expressed in the Shabad. It is a progressive journey and on the path we need all the help we can get. Like training wheels for a child, they are a means to an end. The mind collects at that one bead, at that one instant of his name being spoke, in that one moment that one bead is held in the fingers and moved down.

Here is a Sufi Kafi I heard once..

Tasbi kay daano ko Bhikarnay nahi daytay, Kio?

Yay Jisko Banatay hai Bigarnay nahi daytay.

(I hope you can understand it, its in urdu. Tasbi is another name for Mala)

As for a Mala being worn around ones neck, waist...that i cannot answer as I've never done it nor inquired as to the reasonings behind it. Perhaps it is for the same reason a General will wear his medals...a reminder to him from where he has come, the journey he has taken. Now the interesting this here is, while the General has earned all those medals with his hard work....has the Sikh earned his right to adorn himself with such symbols, Malas etc or are they done out of decorations? Perhaps you should ask someone face to face why they are wearing such items and what is their intentions. I'd love to know myself.

Veer jee, my family do use a mala and although I was bought up using a mala, It did nothing for me. I felt it is easier to do Simran without one. Maybe the nature of my work has made me used to not using a mala. It nice to discuss things, but its best not to dwell on this issue. Using a mala or not, that person is bhagwala who even does Nam simran in this age. Joo guru khai sevak jan mani Partakh guru nistaree. (ang 982). Satgur ka updesh sun too, hovai tere nali. (ang 918). On this basis I understand Bhagat jees shabad.

When I have asked people why they wear it, I am given a list of people who wore, but even after asking what is its purpose, the answer is not given. I did not know a mala can be a medal. Maybe I will never understand the purpose of wearing one, thanks for trying :@