Sikh Armour

Amazing love the pictures of the paintings from Gurdwara Baba Atal Rai, looking at the kamerkasa worn by the various warriors I can make out a kattar, pesh, choora and a small tabar. The signature weapons are also most impressive a Gada ( mace of Hanuman) of all things I wonder who would have the skill and power to use one today, very few I would imagine.

Thanks Freed ji

Just because firearms and canons came into use doesnt mean that hand to hand was no longer fought. As the battle started, first volleys of canons would be shot, along with arrows from a distance, cavalry charges, lancers and musket fire would be used. As the battle got closer then they would make their formations and take their ranks with their respective weapons (khanda, sipar + saif, barsha, dhal tulwar etc). Even from here guns would be shot from behind over the heads of the Singhs.

There would always be skirmishes amongst the Khalsa and enemies so armour would still always be worn, even when guns were introduced, last thing you want to be hit with is a peice of shrapnal from the shot.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

KHALSA FATEH, SINGH SAHIB,

ON THE SUBJECT OF THE CHAIN MAIL, IT CAN BE MADE INTO A DOME SHAPE AND PLACED OVER THE DHAMMALA THEN HAVE THE REST OF THE LARH TIED AROUND IT OR IT CAN BE MADE INTO A SMALLER DIAMOND OR SUITABLE SHAPE AND HELD INTO PLACE WITH HOOKS. I HAVE A COIF WHICH IS A FULL HEAD COVER WHICH IS A EUROPEAN STYLE WORN DURING THE DARK AGES, I HAVE SOME SPARE BITS OF CHAIN MAIL WHICH I WOULD BE HAPPY TO SEND TO YOU FOR YOUR AND PENJI'S DHAMMALA'S. I ALSO AM AN AVID COLLECTOR OF SHASTAR AND HAVE AQUIRED A NUMBER OF PURATAN PEICES WITH WAHIGURUS KIRPA AND HAVE RECENTLY BOUGHT A SIKH HELMET VERY SIMILAR TO THAT IN THE PICS ABOVE WITH THE SECTION FOR THE JURA. I HAVE PICS OF MY EXHIBITIONS ON MY FACE BOOK I WOULD BE VERY HUMBLED IF YOU WOULD TAKE A LOOK. MY PM IS sidglorious@talktalk.net.

SAAAAAT SRI AKAAAAAAAALLLLLU.