T-shirts Stir Debate At Surrey School

2desi

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest peacemaker
does that mean non sikhs wont get out of the cycle?

I've wondered that myself, but usually get yelled at when I say how I feel on the subject. :sady:

buddasingh brother,

there is no doubt about the importance of sikhi saroop.

My concern and motive was the concept of propagating the idea of a khalistan as an exclusively sikh concept, which I think is very dangerous, and honestly, flawed.

I think if we step back and look at the situation from an unbiased viewpoint, khalistan is in essence, the territory of Punjab.

The war was fought in Punjab, mostly. The bloodshed occurred mostly in Punjab. The morcha highlighted not only crimes against the sikh community, but the economical discrimination towards Punjab. The movement could have easily gained and sustained momentum as a united Punjab movement against the center, obvioulsy led by the sikhs, as is evident from history and the present.

The morcha offered not only sikhs a cause to fight for, but the average Punjabi, hindu or sikh, was offered a chance to voice their concerns about gov't investment in Punjab, Punajb river waters, chandigarh etc etc.

Instead, we made such a massive movement into a very narrowly scoped one. We have turned it into a purely sikh struggle.

What we see now is that present day khalistanis have latched onto the religious aspect of the movement and the likes of Badal and the Akali Dal, have used the ecomonic attributes of the original morcha as vote getting gimmicks, when in essence, the dharam yudh morcha was both.

It was very easy to have Punjabi Hindus distrust the movement. It was easy for them to paint the movement as a purely religious one, with no incentive for non-sikhs.

It's basically the "what have you done for me lately" thing.

Sorry for the long post, in conclusion, my point is the way we are selling the concept of khalistan. Sikhs are attcahed to khalistan from an emotional standpoint. Khalistan means something to sikhs on a very deep level. But how does a mona, a hindu, a muslim, a christian, from Punjab, or in Punjab, get emotional about the concept of a khalistan?

we know our motive. what is their motive? have we given them one?

peace.

Singhavelli and MKLQ

I can only agree with everything you guys posted above. And they are very important points to be made.

I am also humbled by sunsinghs comment:

……Rather than call them non-sikh, which createse anger resentment etc, I think it's better to …..

You will note that when I make suggestions , I abdicate as a lesser Sikh. I am very comfortable with this because: as a Sikh, I require no external affirmations…and no matter what is said, I will never relinquish my identity….(and the fact is I have faaaaaaar to go).

Perhaps this is not exactly the case for monay, so some greater respectful sensitivity is required with affirmations of identity for those monay who care for sikhi in some manner.

Great posts by Singhavelli and MKLQ.

It is people who seem to think that khalistan is only for kesdharis or Amritdharis, who turn people off of the concept of Khalistan. It is EXACTLY for this reason many "monehs" do no support Khalistan, and I can understand their thought. Khalistani, as I understand it, is about freedom of religion. Freedom of speach. Freedom of making your own decisions. Lets hope it doesn't turn into the exact opposite.

I'd rather see Sikhs being supressed than a Sikh supressing the followers of another faith. It would be such a slap at not only the Sikh community but the Guru of the Sikhs as well :(

he didn't become shaheed as a monah....he was a keshdhari singh wore turban...

bhai_harjinder_singh_para2.jpg

bhai_harjinder_singh_para.jpg

yaar who knows maybe he was monay b4 and ki pata after this movement oh v singh saj janday. u never knows. sangat da asar

WJKK WJKF

and if he wasnt, because from my understanding he became shaheed as a monah, as did many others. What is your response, what would you say if a shaheed who died as monah stood before you?

Fateh,

First of all we need many more people to spread the word about khalistan....just a word on a tshirt sparks a lot of attention not to just the people who know little about it but the outer community who are either ignorant of the fact that Sikhs were involved in a movement or just were never made aware of this situation. So props to anyone, Sikhs or non Sikhs representing the movement and who feel that Sikhs deserve a home, and justice overall.

I believe its a absolute right for the moneh sikhs to represent Khalistan, as for Amritdhari Sikhs who are concerned about the religious mentality and thinking of them being superior to moneh, they should be ashamed and apologize to guru sahib and the people whose sentiments were hurt. We need more Sikhs, moneh or keshdhari or amritdhari to represent this cause and we need more and more attention in the media regarding Khalistan.

lrg-770-gen._labh_singh__charanjit_singh_channi__harjinder_singh_jinda___gurjeet_singh.jpg

Akaal!! They Singhs have so much love for each other regarding their physical appearances. RESPECT! :nishaan_sahib_right:

he didn't become shaheed as a monah....he was a keshdhari singh wore turban...

bhai_harjinder_singh_para2.jpg

bhai_harjinder_singh_para.jpg

yaar who knows maybe he was monay b4 and ki pata after this movement oh v singh saj janday. u never knows. sangat da asar

WJKK WJKF

and if he wasnt, because from my understanding he became shaheed as a monah, as did many others. What is your response, what would you say if a shaheed who died as monah stood before you?

There is a picture of him with his gun without wearing a turban as well. Just because he wears a turban in that picture, doesn't mean he was a keshdhari. (he maybe wore a turban for those pictures,but still had cut hair underneath his turban). In fact, just look at his face in those pictures, notice his facial hair is shaved/trimmed?

Anyway, you people need some serious help. If you want Sikh community to be united, then accept each other regardless how much each other practice Sikhi. Not every sikh is going to be a good sikh. It takes time for some Sikhs to really get into Sikhi. And I bet you any money that "mona" in those pictures was prolly much better sikh than most of us on this website. Unlike most people on this site, that "mona" went out to fight for justice instead of going on some sikh website and talk about Khalistan all day along. Keep in mind that this "mona" (I don't remember his name) is from Canada who went all the way to Punjab to bring justice to our people. He was a kid as well. (he left Canada to fight in Punjab when he was only 17 years old). That says a lot about him. Mad respect!

There is a picture of him with his gun without wearing a turban as well. Just because he wears a turban in that picture, doesn't mean he was a keshdhari. (he maybe wore a turban for those pictures,but still had cut hair underneath his turban). In fact, just look at his face in those pictures, notice his facial hair is shaved/trimmed?

Anyway, you people need some serious help. If you want Sikh community to be united, then accept each other regardless how much each other practice Sikhi. Not every sikh is going to be a good sikh. It takes time for some Sikhs to really get into Sikhi. And I bet you any money that "mona" in those pictures was prolly much better sikh than most of us on this website. Unlike most people on this site, that "mona" went out to fight for justice instead of going on some sikh website and talk about Khalistan all day along. Keep in mind that this "mona" (I don't remember his name) is from Canada who went all the way to Punjab to bring justice to our people. He was a kid as well. (he left Canada to fight in Punjab when he was only 17 years old). That says a lot about him. Mad respect!

yeh thats when he just came from canada and was a beginner. yeh trust me I can tell if those pics on the bottom are trimmed beard or not....just look at the facial hair, looks so natural beard man, if u cant figure out that then u just blind. look at the bottom pic i posted with him wearing a dhumalla and u can see the gatra and as well natural lookin hair.

Guest peacemaker

Why don't you just get a magnifying glass and and look over each and every hair on his face in that picture to determine if it is really "trimmed" or not? Will that give you a concise answer? :rolleyes:

Get over it and look look at the bigger picture, no pun intended!