Amritdhari...need Some Real Advice

Paaji don’t feel insecure about your beautiful kesh and don’t cut it as by maintaining it you are accepting GuruJi’s will and living as nature intended. Keeping your kesh is the marker of Sikh identity; you are unique and distinctive which you should be proud of.

Your kesh is sacred as all your spiritual energy abides within each and every pore of hair on the body. These act like electrical wires which preserve, carry and vibrate energy when you’re doing Naam Simran (meditation on GuruJi’s Name).

On a personal note, I feel that the beard on an Amritdhari looks beautiful. Respect and love your kesh Paaji and forget about what other people think or say. Apologies if I have said anything wrong.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Breaking Amrit" is a very serious thing. This means that a person turns their back on the Guru.

I understand how you feel self-conscious. When I frist came into Sikhi I felt it too, I had no sikh sangat. It was very hard for me. But over time, doing regular nitnem and amritvela, iit really builds a person up, makes the psyche stronger. This will make it so you don't worry as much about people. Also, recommend that you regularly read stories of shaheeds, the Gurus, sants etc., this is a big inspiration. Se Kineheya about Baba Harnam Singh is agood start.

Stay away from sangat that makes you feel like cutting your hair, or makes you feel self -conscious. Some non-sikh friends used to encourage me in my sikhi, but i still felt self-conscious around them and found I felt better staying away from them. I think deep down they wanted me to leave sikhi. So be very careful about your sangat. Go to gurdwara regularly, this will greatly strengthen you in your commmitment.

The Guru gave this command to his Sikhs that in public the Sikhs should proudly stand out.

-Sri Gur Sobha, Bhai Sainapati

“As long as Khalsa preserves its uniqueness and follows the path of true Guru I will bless them with all of my powers.”

-Guru Gobind Singh Sahib Ji

It is impossible not to feel absolutely majestic about your sikhi kes if you know why you have them. You may try to learn more about what kes is in sikhi.

If you believe you already know what kes represent well, I suggest you see a psychologist or psychiatrist for more serious underlying issues and have them addressed while you are still young. Best of luck.

more serious issues? leave it out buddasingh..no need for that.

Kaeza you may discard whatever feedback does not suit your agenda if you wish. However, there are many others who are learning from questions and answers on this forum.

You have repeatedly stated that you are not comfortable with your appearance.

Logic suggests that either your dhari is the culprit that leads to a lack of self confidence or it is something inherent about you.

Surely you are not insulting sikhs worldwide by suggesting that there is something inherent about sikh kes that leads to low self esteem.

If the dhari is not the issue, then it is you. At your age, your maturity should be far closer to a man than a child.

If you understand sikhi well, yet the problem dictates you to the point where you are contemplating physically mutilating your sense of self, then you very well could use the assistance of a psychologist or psychiatrist. You could also choose not to, and simply live with low self esteem, and have it exhibit itself in other forms in the future.

If a person said that they are brown, but are really self conscious about it and want to coat their skin with white powder, I would say they may benefit from the assistance of a psychologist or psychiatrist.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Veerjee, why would you go from one extreme (long hair) to the other (trim it down)? Use some hair spray / gel to fix it up a little, and by that I dont mean plaster it to your face, but do it with a more suttle natural look. It'll make your dhari a little easier to handle, and frankly you get what it sounds like you're trying to accomplish withought breaking your amrit.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!