I Want To Cut My Hair

Guest _Indy_

Guest _Indy_

Where to start off..hmm.

Okay firstly my name is Inderjot Singh i am currently studying Commerce at Uni in New Zealand... I have been brought up as a Sikh but my upbrining is was not the ideal upbringing since i only started living with my parents till i was 12...

Anyway the reason i am here is to get some advice on is, that i am a 19 year old guy who grew up to take Sikhism at face value and never realy got told much about why i am a Sikh so hence as years went by i made up my own beliefs and so on, however i do have a understanding of Sikh values.

I am at a crossroads in my life at the moment where i think i will cut my hair because i think it should be your own choice if you want to keep your hair or not. Some may say that i would only want to cut my hair just to 'fit in' but to perfectly honest i am not self concious about what others think about me and would only cut my hair because i believe everyone has a personal right to freedom...

Which brings me to my second point... If i did cut my hair i know some family members would not like me to do so... and if i did happen to cut my hair i would not be treated the same way as i am treated now and they would make a big fuss about it.

By the way i dont drink, smoke, drugs etc... i just try to live a truthful life and a life in which i can be truly happy

Any advice or opinions would be much appreciated

regards

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

i just try to live a truthful life and a life in which i can be truly happy

If you want to be truly happy then I think you should try finding out a bit more about Sikhi before you make your decision. This human life is a tiny proportion of our existence but it has huge value. Measuring 'happiness' in this small lifetime isn't rational. As soon as we die that temporary happiness disappears. It's more beneficial to work towards welling up true happiness and peace in your heart.

Personal freedom is one thing but living a life of truth is another. In this world those who think they are free are actually trapped in the clutches of Maya/mammon/materialistic wealth and feelings. In our mind, ego tells us what to do, and we obey its orders, taking this to be our personal freedom. Surely freedom would be the state of mind where there is no ego to follow? When we cannot be swayed by the situations and people around us. This is what Sikhi is about. But nobody said that swallowing your ego/lust/anger/greed/attachment was easy. But if the truth is what you seek, then Sikhi is the simplest and most direct path to follow.

Some posts in this thread also might help:

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?showto...mp;#entry342431

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

Guest _Singh_

1) you want to cut your hair and seem a bit determined.

2)you come on to a sikh website ask whether you should cut your hair and its obvious people are gona say no.

3) why keep hair if you dont have the confidence to keep it or be comfortable with it.

4) listen do what you have to its your life just dont be a fake sikh who cuts hair and then still calls themselves a singh or kaur cos it doesnt work like that!

Some of these posts on various forums make it sound like you guys go to meetings where you are given identical scripts and talking points to spread a message.

Sometimes, there are identical word for word sentence strings from someone who is eg. "19 in UK" and "25 in US". Operating for a moment on the assumption that you are not one of the trained ones, which is completely plausible;

There is a major fallacy in your argument. You say you are not thinking about this to fit in. You say it’s about personal freedom. And you say you understand sikhi.

You comprehend that it is serious as you contemplate a strong reaction. Despite this, you fail completely to provide any logic or rational whatsoever, despite a claim to understand sikh values!!. Your reasoning is curiously void of substance.

…about personal freedom

…not to fit in

That’s it! You are not able to articulate anything beyond one vague meaningless rational and one negative!!

Does it sound a bit strange to you?

A few possibilities come to mind with virtually nothing to go on. (apart from you have a script) in various combinations,

You do not understand sikhi or sikh values.—this is a given right off the bat.

You are doing this to fit in. ---it’s not random. If it was you might be considering dying it magenta, and curling it into a pigtail on the left and bald on the right.

If it was not to fit in, most likely you would make the opposite mistake which is retaining the status quo and have it mean nothing to you. But, you are not indifferent. Tell us the truth Inderjot, what IS your reasoning? I don’t think you are sharing it here completely.

My opinion, preserve your kes, learn about sikhi and you will have as much freedom as is possible in the world.

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki Fateh

by reading your post it seems like you feel that ur personal freedom of choice is being oppressed because of you keep ur kes...............hence you do not keep you hair because YOU want to keep it but to either fit in with family or to avoid confrontation about going against the "norm" being keeping ur kes...........

I feel you have already made the decision...............but are hesitant in doing it because one side is saying "do it" and the other is saying "dont"

Like my other brothers and sisters have sed..................find out WHY sikhi requires its sikhs to keep their kes.................and assess yourself against these values..................you cannot have your feet in both boats.............we are all learning on this journey to God but by saying "cutting my hair wont effect my sikhi" is just a weak justification for not being able to follow Guru Ji hukam................im not saying its easy.............when ur a 24 yr old singhni with more facial hair than some blokes TRUST ME it gets hard..... :lol: ......but that does not mean you give up on ur GURU

Take the time out it find sikhi in urself discovering sikhi is discover ur true inner self................the journey is wonderful and can only be understood when experienced...........you got nothing to loose and everything to gain............ :)

gud luck!!

:)

Guru Ang Sang Sahaee

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh!!

as Lowest bhenji said... before u make any decision, make it an informed decision... it seems u know the 'jist' of what Sikhi tells us, but u've also said ur not thoroughly knowledgeable about the path of Sikhi... one thing i would suggest before you make any decision is to completely understand why we do what we do... why we believe what we believe.. and why we live the way of life that we live... the word "Sikh" means learner or disciple.. so, IF you see urself as being a Sikh, then u will make the utmost effor to learn the ways and the why's...

if u are really a seeker of truth you will find out the answers to all your questions and you will make a completely informed, logical, and practical decision... if, after you've done all your 'research' and what not, you truly feel that you do NOT need to keep your hair, then that is your decision... at the end of the day, its your relationship with God... its between you and God and nobody can judge you or anything...

take the time to contemplate your decision... obviously its a big decision.. so make it an informed one... if u don't take the time to learn and contemplate, then posting here will really be a waste of time for both urself, and those who are posting responses...

the rest is up to you... its your relationship with God... so make a decision that you truly feel as right...

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh!!

don't cut your hairs like that....

I am also in NZ just let me know where do u live..

I can see u personally and might be able to do some thing for u only if Guru ji bless me to do that...

I know veer that our parents don't tell us any thing...

But please contact me or give me your contact details.. I use to go to Takanini Gurudwara Sahib on every Sunday........

Personal freedom hahahahaha I can understand your personal freedom hahahahah

But if you really love guru ji then to obey his order should not be hard for you... n the main thing is to understand what is the meaning of Dharam n why u want to be dharmi.....

Guru Fateh ji :)

Guest Malfion
don't cut your hairs like that....

I am also in NZ just let me know where do u live..

I can see u personally and might be able to do some thing for u only if Guru ji bless me to do that...

I know veer that our parents don't tell us any thing...

But please contact me or give me your contact details.. I use to go to Takanini Gurudwara Sahib on every Sunday........

Personal freedom hahahahaha I can understand your personal freedom hahahahah

But if you really love guru ji then to obey his order should not be hard for you... n the main thing is to understand what is the meaning of Dharam n why u want to be dharmi.....

Guru Fateh ji :)

Dude, your argument is flawed because you say you want freedom, yet you want to conform/fit in with everyone else...

Theres this awesome Punjabi vid about a guy wanting to cut his hair and stuff after his "friends" make him seem like his parents don't care about him.

ALSO, you already have long hair...don't go back now man... 19 years..just LEARN MORE. Its inspiring. Trust me. If you live a truthful life and stuff, whats the point? Go find out more about Sikhism, you'll change your mind.

this is off topic but relevant to the topic title...

iv been involved in a ''teen runaway case'' (dont ask)

after trying to help in the situation the teen has turned around going ''im cutting my hair, my folks have let me''

the parents have ''let the teen'' just so they some how get their child home..

this has really annoyed mee so much.....is there anything i do to stop it??

the teens not religious but its annnoying how after her asking if she can come with me to sikhi related events she turns around and says that about her kes...

(its heart breaking that how after such great great gursikhs have scarificed their lives and not cut their kesk instead have given their lives for us to be sikhs today)