Dhoor721

Quick question...

A couple months back, someone was telling me about how Sikhi rehat has existed ever since Guru Nanak Dev Ji's time...he told me that on Vaisakhi, 1699, all 80,000 Sikhs who came to see Guru Gobind Singh Ji were in full dastaar and had uncut hair/beard...

Is this true? And if so, where/how did the idea of turbans/uncut hair become a stale of Sikhi? After all, if they had it BEFORE Guru Gobind Singh Ji did the amrit ceremony...it must have come from SOMEWHERE...

thanks in advance grin.gif

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think mostly everyone back then had long hair (which were covered with some form of covering) and uncut beard....but Guru Gobind Singh ji gave it a name and defined it as a dastar

Well I always thought Sikhs stood out with long hair/dastar...if this was the case, then apparently we blended in with everyone else? :T:

bodies and most people think it was Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji who asked for heads first. But it is not true. It was Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji, when Guru Ji said:

ja-o ta-o paraym khaylan kaa chaa-o.

sir Dhar talee galee mayree aa-o.

it maarag pair Dhareejai.

sir deejai kaan na keejai. ||20||

Meaning:

If you desire to play this game of love with Me,

then step onto My Path with your head in hand.

When you place your feet on this Path,

give Me your head, and do not pay any attention to public opinion. ||20||

Some people say that we are Sikhs of Guru Nanak, not of Guru Gobind Singh. Almost all of these people who say this are mone (shaven). But they don't know that Guru Nanak and Guru Gobind Singh are one and the same. If was Guru Nanak Dev Ji in his first body who asked for head, and in 10th body, he did it practically. The interesting thing in Sikhi is that, nothing is left on theory. Sikh Gurus and Gursikhs walked the talk.

All the Gurus had uncut hair, and it is obvious that Sikhs were not allowed to cut hair either. All Sikh Gurus wore dastars, and therefore, it is also obvious that Sikhs had to wear dastars too.

As far as Amrit is concerned, Sikhs were given Charan Pahul. Gurus from Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji to Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji were used to touch the water with the tip of their toe, and that Charan Amrit was given to Sikhs, as it is said in Bhai Gurdas Ji's bani.

Guru Gobind Singh Ji changed the form of Amrit from 'Charan Pahul' to 'Khande Baatey Da Amrit' since there won't by any Guru in human body to touch the water with the tip of his toe.

All I am trying to say is that the message is the same, only the form changed, form of initiation. Everything else is the same, no drinking, no smoking, no adultry, etc. etc. i forgot what else i was gonna say... :@ bhul chuk di khima....

"Sabat Surat Dastar Sirra" is Pancham Patshah Ji's hukam....

Dear SOSGGSJ,

The gurbani tuk u mentioned is not prescribed for Sikhs by Pancham Patshah.This tuk is in reference to muslims.Please do not misinterpret Gurbani (sometimes I also do that by mistake).please read the full shabad to understand the context. Once a bhen ji also mentioned this tuk on sikhnet , but one Sikh pointed it out.thats why it just came to my mind.

Regarding uncut hair, there is a reference in Gyan Ratnavali by Bhai Mani Singh that Guru Nanak asked Mardana for 3 things:

1. Donot disrespect ur hair( keep umm uncut)

2. Rise in amritvela.

3. Share ur earnings.

So tradition was from first Nanak.Tenth Nanak just formalized this thing. Keeping kesh was NOT AT ALL an issue that time(1699) because people were already into it.

Well...I never found any reference for the guru ji's motive for creating a "seprate identity" in any of his bani.Can anyone plz gimme some reference for the above thing.

I hope this will help

vaaheguru ji ka khalsa vaaheguru ji ki fateh

Thanks for correcting me Guru Pyareo, but I'm not sure of where you guys are coming from.

Guru sahib is adressing Muslims through this shabad. Pls read the full shabad to find out the real message of Guru sahib.

Yes, it's obvious that Guru Sahib is addressing Muslims through that shabad, but doesn't the same message apply to us? Afterall Guru Sahib is blessing them with Gyaan through his updesh and his updesh is same for all:

chu vrnw kau dy aupdysu ]

The shabad also tells:

pMjvY pMjy iekqu mukwmY eyih pMij vKq qyry Aprprw ]9]

Here Guru Sahib is telling them to control the 5 vices in their 5 prayers. Now does this mean only they are supposed to control kaam, krodh, lobh, moh or hankaar? Doesn't this same updesh apply to us?

Maybe I'm still not understanding the argument so let me know if I am wrong.

vaaheguru ji kak halsa vaaheguru ji ki fateh