300 yrs, and still not known?

Khalsa4ever

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/sou...-home-headlines

It seems these type of instances sadly only make people aware of Sikhs.

http://cbsnewyork.com/njnews/NJ--SikhsAssa...urces_news_html

This occured last yr also, when a gas station employee in NJ stated that he was robbed and the attackers cut his hair...its like come on, who walks around with scissors ready to cut someones hair during a robbery attempt?

If you want to cut your hair thats fine, but please don't make up stories. After this incident, the Sikh sangat in northern New Jersey (specifically Glen Rock), are trying to build communication with there children.

However, I still find it funny how Sikhs are still not well known and we are one of the world's largest religion, AHEAD OF JEWS. Yet, Jews are still known globally, maybe after Nazi Germany. But how many are well aware of the 1984 attack none? Whose to blame? OUR LEADERSHIP? Yes, the Jews have their own country, and Jews everywhere are united. I believe we need to do something about our leadership in India? What do they do? Nothing at all, just take in money and become puppets for the Indian Government. It's about time that western Sikhs start taking action and flourish the panth. We have the ability to unite, but yet we just fight and build new gurudwaras. Its sad how the United States Gurudwaras can't even have a national meeting or conference. I dont know if Canada,

or England does or any other countries. But I believe, at least once a year, Sikhs leader should hold some global meeting to discuss matters of Sikhi.

Chardi Kala,

Gurjote Singh

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, thats very true. But ugh what did Sikhs do after 84? Make noise, go crazy, and then a couple of months just shut up and relaxed. I know many Sikhs in the New York area, I have videos during the attack and Sikh reacations in the NYC area, all those parents were shouting Khalistan Zindabad, now there children are marrying who knows what. Those parents dont even carry Sikhi anymore. And others, like my parents, "ah man, the whole movement was corrupt, forget about it." My dad use to go out and like protest, now hes just sitting here cause all the leaders of the Khalistani movement were straight up liars. But yeah, its pretty sad.

I still find it funny how Sikhs are still not well known and we are one of the world's largest religion, AHEAD OF JEWS.

Khalistani Singh ji,

you're right, Sikhism is the 5th largest religion yet we are largely unknown to the billions of people around the world. People may have seen guys or gals with turban/dastaar, but beside that they do not anything about Sikhism.

As for your other points about who is to blame:

First of all, I think the blame rests on the shoulders of our elders perhaps. :T: I say that because we learn a lot from our parents and in these western countries our parents are the first people who introduce us to Sikhism. I think that since migrating here, our elders have spent more time on working and making money and less time on teaching us about our faith. That is probably why our Sikh youth is drifting further and further away from Sikhi, like the boys with hair and pagg who cut their hair and adopt the western look.

Secondly, the fault lies in the leadership as you said. Our people are building gurdwaras everywhere they go. The committee members have a difference of opinions and they split; one group goes elsewhere and builds a new gurdwara. And the cycle continues. If the people governing the gurdwaras can not stay united and resol

ve differences, that says something strong and unfortunate about our future. When our leadership is not being responsible and credible (can't think of right words right now) the Sikh youth who have strayed from the path of Sikhi see this as an excuse maybe to dismiss the subject entirely and not care about Sikhi. I can't find the right words right now, but ya'll understand what I'm trying to say right? There is just no way gurudwaras nationwide in the USA can hold a joint conference meeting if one committee of one gurdwara can not to it for their own regular meetings. :@

And of course we have leadership in India like Parkash Singh Badal former Chief Minister of Punjab who hasn't done much in his years of CM. He is said to have the most acreage of land than anyone else in Punjab. Seems like all he cared about really was power, land, money and his kursi. Most if not all leaders of India care very much about their KURSI.

i will shut up now.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

I think I posted this somewhere else too, but I'll say it again.

Just like the Muslims are now, its only when some big catastrophe happens that people switch back to being sikh... we haven't had something big for a while (20yrs?) so we're all lazy and just don't put our effort forward.

PS: The reason why Jews are better known than we are is because:

1. Jews are more widespread than we are

2. Middle east crisis in the papers 12 times a day and news all night

3. They have existed for several thousand years longer than we have

4. They are "natural enemies" to Christians which are the most popular.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Actually, a big problem is in terms of education programs. How often do you see large fundraising drives by pagh-walla Singhs and Kaurs? Never! Our community is overflowing with ca$h, but since all we do is give 10% cash to gurdwara and never do seva where its needed: like inner city and poor areas, no one hears of us.... its quite sad actually.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

If you want people to know who sikhs are, do something...

Let's face it...we can complain all day...but elders aren't gonna change

The reason Jews are better known than us is because 1) they're incredibly educated (most Jews attend ivy leagues), and 2) they know when to put aside their differences for the betterment of their religion

So if you want people to know who we are...go out and do something...if even one youth in every Sikh community was active, we wouldn't have most of the problems we have...so go and spread the word :e: