Kesh

From what I understand, we as Sikhs meditate on every strand of hair and our dasam duar has great spiritual significance (third eye .. not too sure) but when we tie a dastaar all that energy gets focused on your dasam duar, especially when doing simran and it's pretty crazy :cool:

can anybody confirm ?

post-4791-1213993726_thumb.jpg

BEAUTIFUL

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree 100% with flappingwings comments above.

Having kesh is a sign of saintlyhood and remember after all we are saint soldiers. There are 2 many players out there who make a complete mockery of being a sikh by having pony tales and cut beards which make em look like puppets. Do not try and imitate them as they are "born into a sikh family" but are from being a sikh.

From what I understand, we as Sikhs meditate on every strand of hair and our dasam duar has great spiritual significance (third eye .. not too sure) but when we tie a dastaar all that energy gets focused on your dasam duar, especially when doing simran and it's pretty crazy :cool:

can anybody confirm ?

post-4791-1213993726_thumb.jpg

BEAUTIFUL

WJKK WJKF

This is true as the dastar stores the energy from the simran, bani and focuses it. (NOT THAT I'V HAVE THE EXPERIENCE, LOL)

The kesh allows for the energy to flow throught the body. The kesh is very powerful, becuase when simran or bani is done it vibtrates on the hair, and repeated, and so the more hair you have the more it is repated and vibrates. the kesh allows for the onnectio to be made with waheguru, as our hair is like an aerial. So when u cut your hair the reception that you recieve (sangat) will be worse.

Hope that has answered he question

Forgive me for any Mistakes

WJJK WJKF

I am a Sikh Male who cuts their hair. However a few years ago i was growing my hair so that i can have a joora and have the sikh identity. However, i came to the realization that just because you look like a sikh doesn't make you a sikh. Your identity is only limited to this physical world and once you die your hair, wealth and all worldy possessions stay here. I realized it is much more important to live by the gurus teachings and philosophies and understand them, than just looking like one. I realized that it would be better for a sikh to cut their hair but to live by the gurus teachings VS a sikh who hase gone through amrit but doesn't go by the gurus teachings.

Just my 2 cents

I am a Sikh Male who cuts their hair. However a few years ago i was growing my hair so that i can have a joora and have the sikh identity. However, i came to the realization that just because you look like a sikh doesn't make you a sikh. Your identity is only limited to this physical world and once you die your hair, wealth and all worldy possessions stay here. I realized it is much more important to live by the gurus teachings and philosophies and understand them, than just looking like one. I realized that it would be better for a sikh to cut their hair but to live by the gurus teachings VS a sikh who hase gone through amrit but doesn't go by the gurus teachings.

Just my 2 cents

I find that quite funny, you say its ok to cut your hair as long as your following guru jees teaching. BUT by cutting your hair you have already gone AGAINST guru jees teachings. I agree sikhi is on the inside AND outside. But to become pure inside we need to follow sikhi, we need to follow rehit, japp naam read baani etc. If your not even willing to keep your kesh, which is a must, and a hukam from guru jee, then how far can we really go?

Theres too much of this thinking, that only the inside needs to be pure, not the outside. This is wrong BOTH needs to be pure. Sikhi roop is important.

Gurfateh ji

heres 2 things to think about

bani bana 2 pankh udave

bani and bana are the 2 wings of a bird. with only 1 wing a bird will get nowhere. now if we mortals wanna make it 2 sachkhand for this udari we are gna need 2 wings.

Guru Gobind Singh also derided the hindus for cutting thier hair and told them that once you took it as necessary to cut your hair your power began to dwindle. Once you lost respect for your kes your physical power began to wane. Hindus never used to cut their hair. It was only cut for 2 reasons.

1 - a death in the family so it was a sign of mourning.

2 - punishment .

both were signs to the public that this person was to be avoided ( as in hindu religion it was beleived that a death in a family made that family impure until they had taken ishnaan at tirath and given food to brahmins).

also extreme hawk i beg you plz dont use other people's weaknesses to cover your own. If amritdharis misbehave then they will pay for it, not you. And vice versa. Bhai Taru Singh could have cut his kes and kept the rest of his maryada intact. Did he? So if you dont have the strength to keep your kes, then just say it rather than use other people as the measure for yourself. If you absolutley need to do so then measure yourself against Guru Gobind Singh.

Dasm Pita also says that this is my command, my beloved sikhs, do not present yourslefs b4 me without kes and weapons.

so everytime you bow your head to Guru keep this in mind that have you obeyed Gurus order?

plz dont make riduclous statements like that.

forgive me if i have said anything wrong.

heres 2 things to think about

bani bana 2 pankh udave

bani and bana are the 2 wings of a bird. with only 1 wing a bird will get nowhere. now if we mortals wanna make it 2 sachkhand for this udari we are gna need 2 wings.

Guru Gobind Singh also derided the hindus for cutting thier hair and told them that once you took it as necessary to cut your hair your power began to dwindle. Once you lost respect for your kes your physical power began to wane. Hindus never used to cut their hair. It was only cut for 2 reasons.

1 - a death in the family so it was a sign of mourning.

2 - punishment .

both were signs to the public that this person was to be avoided ( as in hindu religion it was beleived that a death in a family made that family impure until they had taken ishnaan at tirath and given food to brahmins).

also extreme hawk i beg you plz dont use other people's weaknesses to cover your own. If amritdharis misbehave then they will pay for it, not you. And vice versa. Bhai Taru Singh could have cut his kes and kept the rest of his maryada intact. Did he? So if you dont have the strength to keep your kes, then just say it rather than use other people as the measure for yourself. If you absolutley need to do so then measure yourself against Guru Gobind Singh.

Dasm Pita also says that this is my command, my beloved sikhs, do not present yourslefs b4 me without kes and weapons.

so everytime you bow your head to Guru keep this in mind that have you obeyed Gurus order?

plz dont make riduclous statements like that.

forgive me if i have said anything wrong.

EXCELLENT POST!!!!! EXACTLY SAID IT HOW IT IS!!!!!

Wow, i don't think i've ever been more wrong in my life. Thanks you for correcting me. I see now that's not just identity that the kesh gives, but also a sort of an antenna to hear God. Without this antenna it just makes hearing god's words and commands even more difficult. I also learned that the vibrations of doing kirtan also help greatly in becoming enlightened.

A question that has been on my mind for many years and is picking at me lately more than ever; I don't know if i should start a new topic or just ask it here. My question is, why is the Sikh religion so concerned with weapons? This is a question i've asked this question to a few people, and all they can provide is that it was to fight the mughals with and thus became a part of our identity. I understand that the kirpan is used and is symbolized to fight the unrighteous and defend and stand up for the weak. If i should start a new topic for this just let me know and i'll do it ASAP

If someone can please provide an answer that would help me greater understand this part of sikhism.