Outer Rehat Vs Inner Rehat

Fruity.

Over the last 2 years or so i've noticed that when talking about sikhi at camps university talks and even parchar in gurdwaras. Its always about the outer rehat as in keeping kesh and 5 kakkars. I dunno whether its me but i get the feeling that some people especially the youth seem to think its the outer rehat that makes a Sikh, and its this that is some what being forced on people, instead of the inner virtues and great characteristics of a Sikh.

Anyone else notice same thing?

Over the last 2 years or so i've noticed that when talking about sikhi at camps university talks and even parchar in gurdwaras. Its always about the outer rehat as in keeping kesh and 5 kakkars. I dunno whether its me but i get the feeling that some people especially the youth seem to think its the outer rehat that makes a Sikh, and its this that is some what being forced on people, instead of the inner virtues and great characteristics of a Sikh.

Anyone else notice same thing?

Regardless, inner reflection, meditation, sewa and various such things can be practiced by anyone...

DOn't worry about external things if inner feel important to you,

If you can't keep your outer rehit, what makes you think you are capable of keeping your inner rehit? same vice versa. Without your outer rehit inner rehit is incomplete. Without inner rehit outer rehit is incomplete. Rehit is rehit. Whatever aspect of rehit is taught the most, it all must be kept.

Emphasis often falls on outer rehit because these days everyones obsessed with fitting in. Once u conquer this obsession you have no fear in admitting that you love Guru ji - and so you start building up ur inner rehit.

Then again if u build up ur inner rehit outer rehit comes naturally.

but what is inner and outer rehit? one is not more important than the other.how can u have inner rehit but not keep your kes - u r not following rehit. u cant separate inner and outer rehit - one must be with the other.

wen u sed most youth think appearance makes a sikh - wat about these peoople who cut their hair but do paath and do loads of seva. do they not think that the inside makes a sikh? its not most of the youth who think lyk dat - they all have different views.

If you can't keep your outer rehit, what makes you think you are capable of keeping your inner rehit? same vice versa. Without your outer rehit inner rehit is incomplete. Without inner rehit outer rehit is incomplete. Rehit is rehit. Whatever aspect of rehit is taught the most, it all must be kept.

Emphasis often falls on outer rehit because these days everyones obsessed with fitting in. Once u conquer this obsession you have no fear in admitting that you love Guru ji - and so you start building up ur inner rehit.

Then again if u build up ur inner rehit outer rehit comes naturally.

but what is inner and outer rehit? one is not more important than the other.how can u have inner rehit but not keep your kes - u r not following rehit. u cant separate inner and outer rehit - one must be with the other.

wen u sed most youth think appearance makes a sikh - wat about these peoople who cut their hair but do paath and do loads of seva. do they not think that the inside makes a sikh? its not most of the youth who think lyk dat - they all have different views.

exactly......... :)

Is it possible to have inner and not outer?

Dhan Dhan Guroo Amar Das Ji Maharaj

ਜੀਅਹੁ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਬਾਹਰਹੁ ਨਿਰਮਲ ॥

Jī­ahu nirmal bāhrahu nirmal.

Inwardly pure, and outwardly pure.

ਬਾਹਰਹੁ ਤ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਜੀਅਹੁ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਤੇ ਕਰਣੀ ਕਮਾਣੀ ॥

Bāhrahu ṯa nirmal jī­ahu nirmal saṯgur ṯė karṇī kamāṇī.

Those who are outwardly pure and also pure within, through the Guru, perform good deeds.

ਕੂੜ ਕੀ ਸੋਇ ਪਹੁਚੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਮਨਸਾ ਸਚਿ ਸਮਾਣੀ ॥

Kūṛ kī so­ė pahucẖai nāhī mansā sacẖ samāṇī.

Not even an iota of falsehood touches them; their hopes are absorbed in the Truth.

ਜਨਮੁ ਰਤਨੁ ਜਿਨੀ ਖਟਿਆ ਭਲੇ ਸੇ ਵਣਜਾਰੇ ॥

Janam raṯan jinī kẖati­ā bẖalė sė vaṇjārė.

Those who earn the jewel of this human life, are the most excellent of merchants.

ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਜਿਨ ਮੰਨੁ ਨਿਰਮਲੁ ਸਦਾ ਰਹਹਿ ਗੁਰ ਨਾਲੇ ॥੨੦॥

Kahai Nānak jin man nirmal saḏā raheh gur nālė. ||20||

Says Nanak, those whose minds are pure, abide with the Guru forever. ||20||

I think we always talk about the outer rehit, becuase personally i think its easier. How hard is it hard to wear your panj kakkars and keep the roop of a gursikh outwardly? Then think how hard is it to go a whole day without lying, without thinking bad of anyone, without speaking harshly.......... how hard is it to concentrate on naam, continuosly repeat it, do ur nitnem wiv full concentration... to have deya, nimrata, gareebi............. u get the idea? Speaking from experience, and through gursikhs i know, once we drop rehit, even if its outer, then the inner rehit suffers too. You need both, with mahrajs kirpaa...its possible..

gurfateh jee