Regarding pilgrimage

i thought guru ji sed pilgramage wuz on the inside of us?

theres a story that guru ji told a sadhu 2 go 2 84 tiraths n sed wash this chilly stuff as well. wen the sadhu came bak guru ji sed now giv it out. the sangat complained sayin 2 chilly. guru ji sed if the insides r still bitter, then it mus b the same 4 those hu go 2 pilgramage.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

source: http://www.sikhpoint.com/religion/Darbarsa...onstruction.asp

It was decided by the Guru [Arjan Dev Ji]to build the temple in the center of the tank. The object of Guru Arjan Dev ji in planning the structure of the Harmandar in the middle of Amrit Sarovar was to combine both spiritual and temporal aspects, to represent a new synthesis of Indian thought, the combination of Nirgun and Sargun.

source: http://www.sikhnation.com/

The presence of Harmandir in the centre of the pool of water indicates to us that we need two baths; the bath of the body can be done in the pool of water (sarower) but the second bath of the mind is only possible when one dip's one's surat in the Amrit Naam while listening to kirtan in progress.

pretty much what i said in my 1st post.

• 2 weeks later...

Balwinder Singh ji said in 1st post:

But we still say in ardass "amritsar ji ke ishnaan" or we often read here and there that sikhs go to harmandir sahib for pilgrimage as Harmandir sahib is their holiest shrine.
Balwinder Singh ji I have the proper answer today!!!!

In ardaas when we ask for "amritsar ji ke eshnaan" it is not referring to the Place Amritsar. Here Amritsar means like Amrit Naam. We are asking for eshnaan of Naam so it will wash our sins cuz with Naam we realize God and everything it says in Gurbani.

Mr. Singh ji wrote:

Ramdas Sarovar according to me understanding means the Sarovar of NAAAAM

Yes ji! You are correct! Ramdas is also referring to Naam!

Look at the other stuff we ask for in Ardaas (i think it comes before amritsar je ke eshnaan). We ask for kesh daan, rehit daan, bibek daan, bharosa daan (i think), etc:

Kindly confer upon the Sikhs the gift of Sikhism, the gift of long hair, the gift of observing S

ikh laws, the gift of divine knowledge, the gift of firm faith, the gift of belief and the biggest gift of Name and of having bath in the respected Tank of Nectar.

Tank of Nectar is also referring to Naam

So Amritsar=Ramdas sarovar=Tank of Nectar=Naaaammmmm ^_^^_^^_^^_^^_^

If I am wrong someone please correct me.

Gr8 post satpreet ji.....looks like u spent quita time over this thing.I appreciate that u took time to answer all my questions.

Just one question more...it may be stupid...so plz bear with me:

In ardass we say:

"..........Sikhaan noon Sikhee daan, Kesh daan, Rehat daan, bibek daan, visaah daan bharosaa daan, daanaan sirr daan Naam daan, shree Amritsar jee dae ishnaan, Chukiaan, Jhandae, Bungae jugo j-ugg atall, dharam kaa jaaekaar Bolo jee Vaaheguroo........."

Why do we ask fro same thing "NAAM" twice (as u said the one in green means asking for naam)????

And """shree Amritsar jee dae ishnaan""" look like they r refering the "place" amritsar.Dont u think so?....

It may be totally stupid....but plz clarify my doubt if u think it makes an iota of sense.

Bhul Chuk Maff

In ardass we say:

"..........Sikhaan noon Sikhee daan, Kesh daan, Rehat  daan, bibek daan, visaah daan bharosaa daan, daanaan sirr daan Naam daan, shree Amritsar jee dae ishnaan, Chukiaan, Jhandae, Bungae jugo j-ugg atall, dharam kaa jaaekaar  Bolo jee Vaaheguroo........."

Why do we ask fro same thing "NAAM" twice (as u said the one in green means asking for naam)????

And """shree Amritsar jee dae ishnaan""" look like they r refering the "place" amritsar.Dont u think so?....

It may be totally stupid....but plz clarify my doubt if u think it makes an iota of sense.

Bhul Chuk Maff

Kindly confer upon the Sikhs the gift of Sikhism, the gift of long hair, the gift of observing Sikh laws, the gift of divine knowledge, the gift of firm faith, the gift of belief and the biggest gift of Name and of having bath in the respected Tank of Nectar.

Ok lemme break this down if i can....

Sikhi daan=Gift of Sikhism

kesh daan=gift of long hair

rehat daan=gift of observing

Sikh laws

bibek daan=Gift of divine knowledge

bharosaa daan=gift of firm faith

daanan sirr daan Naam daan= BIGGEST GIFT OF ALL IS Naam

amritsar jee ke eshnaan= (AND) GIFT OF BATH IN NAAM

hhhmmm....I think in the red part we are asking for the GIFT OF Naam which is the biggest gift of all (i thinik) but moreover, we are asking for Naam ESHNAAN. THink of it this way: lets say you have SGGS ji at your home. That's good but that won't do you any good unless you READ IT and meditate on NAAM. So having SGGS ji at home is kind of like the red part, you asked for gift of Naam and you have it in your home. In the green part you are asking for meditation on that NAAM which happens when you read it.

Does it make sense now?

qIriQ nwvx jwau qIrQu nwmu hY ]

theerathh naavan jaao theerathh naam hai ||

Why should I bathe at sacred shrines of pilgrimage? The Naam, the Name of the Lord, is the sacred shrine of pilgrimage

qIrQu sbd bIcwru AMqir igAwnu hY ]

theerathh sabadh beechaar a(n)thar giaan hai ||

My sacred shrine of pilgrimage is spiritual wisdom within, and contemplation on the Word of the Shabad

gur igAwnu swcw Qwnu qIrQu ds purb sdw dswhrw ]

gur giaan saachaa thhaan theerathh dhas purab sadhaa dhasaaharaa ||

The spiritual wisdom given by the Guru is the True sacred shrine of pilgrimage, where the ten festivals are always observed

Pannaa 687

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Why do we say

daanan sirr daan Naam daan

sree amritsar jee ke eshnaan

Because:

kwm k®oD loB moh qjwrI ]

kaam krodhh lobh moh thajaaree ||

I have renounced desire, anger, greed and emotional attachment.

idRVu nwm dwnu iesnwnu sucwrI ]3]

dhrirr naam dhaan eisanaan suchaaree ||3||

I have enshrined within myself the charity, true cleansing, and proper conduct of the Naam. ||3||

khu nwnk iehu qqu bIcwrI ]

kahu naanak eihu thath beechaaree ||

Says Nanak, I have contemplated this essence of reality;

rwm nwm jip pwir auqwrI ]4]12]18]

raam naam jap paar outhaaree ||4||12||18||

chanting the Name of the Lord, I am carried across. ||4||12||18||

AND

siqguru purKu AMimRq sru vfBwgI nwvih Awie ]

sathigur purakh a(n)mrith sar vaddabhaagee naavehi aae ||

The True Guru, the Primal Being, is the Pool of Ambrosial Nectar. The very fortunate ones come to bathe in it.