Regarding pilgrimage

Sadh Sangat jio!!

I am a little confused regardind pilgrimage in Sikhism.Guru Nanak dev ji said in Jap ji Sahib:

tirath naavaa jay tis bhaavaa vin bhaanay ke naa-ay karee

If I am pleasing to Him, then that is my pilgrimage and cleansing bath. Without pleasing Him, what good are ritual cleansings?

Also,

jap tap sanjam saaDhee-ai tirath keechai vaas.

You may chant and meditate, practice austerities and self-restraint, and dwell at sacred shrines of pilgrimage;

punn daan chang-aa-ee-aa bin saachay ki-aa taas.

you may give donations to charity, and perform good deeds, but without the True One, what is the use of it all?

But we still say in ardass "amritsar ji ke ishnaan" or we often read here and there that sikhs go to harmandir sahib for pilgrimage as Harmandir sahib is their holiest shrine.

I have heard people sayin that u gottu go to harmandir sahib atleast once or u have to go to hajoor sahib before u reach 60.

Why do people say these things when they know Sikhism DONOT teach pilgrimage.As it(pilgrimage) doesn't guarantee u anything.

Plz help me in understanding this thing.

Thnx

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

soriT mhlw 5 Gru 3 dupdy

sorat(h) mehalaa 5 ghar 3 dhupadhae

Sorat'h, Fifth Mehl, Third House, Du-Padas:

<> siqgur pRswid ]

ik oa(n)kaar sathigur prasaadh ||

One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

rwmdws srovir nwqy ]

raamadhaas sarovar naathae ||

Bathing in the nectar tank of Ram Das,

siB auqry pwp kmwqy ]

sabh outharae paap kamaathae ||

all sins are erased.

inrml hoey kir iesnwnw ]

niramal hoeae kar eisanaanaa ||

One becomes immaculately pure, taking this cleansing bath.

guir pUrY kIny dwnw ]1]

gur poorai keenae dhaanaa ||1||

The Perfect Guru has bestowed this gift. ||1||

siB kusl Kym pRiB Dwry ]

sabh kusal khaem prabh dhhaarae ||

God has blessed all with peace and pleasure.

shI slwmiq siB Qok aubwry gur kw sbdu vIcwry ] rhwau ]

sehee salaamath sabh thhok oubaarae gur kaa sabadh veechaarae || rehaao ||

Everything is safe and sound, as we contemplate the Word of the Guru's Shabad. ||Pause||

swDsMig mlu lwQI ]

saadhhasa(n)g mal laathhee ||

In the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, filth is washed off.

pwrbRhmu BieE swQI ]

paarabreham bhaeiou saathhee ||

The Supreme Lord God has become our friend and helper.

nwnk nwmu

iDAwieAw ]

naanak naam dhhiaaeiaa ||

Nanak meditates on the Naam, the Name of the Lord.

Awid purK pRBu pwieAw ]2]1]65]

aadh purakh prabh paaeiaa ||2||1||65||

He has found God, the Primal Being. ||2||1||65||

bhula chuka maf

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Balwinder Singh ji:

the quotes in red you posted...those are basically saying that you can go on pilgramages all you want, BUT if you don't meditate on the TRUE ONE then all that pilgramaging and rituals are of no use.

ppl who are telling you you gotta go to harmandir sahib or hazoor sahib at least once in lifetime before your 60 is kinda :T: i dunno. ppl just say that. I would say go there at least once cuz its a beautiful place and those of you who are deeply into sikhi will feel the power of the place and you will just love it.

about khalistani ji's post:

"nectar tank of Ram Das" refers to the sarovar at harmandir sahib right? correct me if i'm wrong please. i read somewhere on the internet about why sarovar was made at harmandir sahib. The sarovar is for you to cleanse your body on the outside...the sarovar is around the golden temple. To get to the golden temple first bathe in the sarovar...then go inside the golden temple and cleanse your mind with waheguroo's naam and baani. The water of sarovar cleans filth on your skin and meditating on naam and baani will cleanse the filth inside you...

hope that helps

Balwinder Singh ji:

the quotes in red you posted...those are basically saying that you can go on pilgramages all you want, BUT if you don't meditate on the TRUE ONE then all that pilgramaging and rituals are of no use.

ppl who are telling you you gotta go to harmandir sahib or hazoor sahib at least once in lifetime before your 60 is kinda :T: i dunno. ppl just say that. I would say go there at least once cuz its a beautiful place and those of you who are deeply into sikhi will feel the power of the place and you will just love it.

about khalistani ji's post:

"nectar tank of Ram Das" refers to the sarovar at harmandir sahib right? correct me if i'm wrong please. i read somewhere on the internet about why sarovar was made at harmandir sahib. The sarovar is for you to cleanse your body on the outside...the sarovar is around the golden temple. To get to the golden temple first bathe in the sarovar...then go inside the golden temple and cleanse your mind with waheguroo's naam and baani. The water of sarovar cleans filth on your skin and meditating on naam and baani will cleanse the filth inside you...

hope that helps

I totally agree with you SATPREET

> ji.This is what i think.But I dunno why people say those things when its clear that in sikhism there is nuthin like rituals.U can't wash away ur sins in an instant by takin bath in any sacred water.U have to be pure from inside.

From the shabad by khalistani veer ji:

saadhhasa(n)g mal laathhee ||

In the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, filth is washed off.

One can get an idea what guru ji meant here .

but when guru ji said:

raamadhaas sarovar naathae ||

Bathing in the nectar tank of Ram Das,

sabh outharae paap kamaathae ||

all sins are erased.

I dont know how to interpret this.There cannot be any contradiction in SGGS ji....so its my 'besamzi'.Someone plz enlighten me reagrding this.

Ramdas Sarovar according to me understanding means the Sarovar of NAAAAM

Its a hindu beliefe that by bathign in Gangas their sins wil eb washed of

NO!

Bare (from outside) from the body filth might get off

but not the filth you have INSIDE

the filth NSIDE can ONLY bE REMOVED by Doing Naam Jaapna

So you have to get the Sarovar of NAAM from Guru Ram Das jee (Guru Sahib before Guru Arjan Dev jee, who I think composed the Shabad :@ )

Its not to take litteraly! that by bathing in the Sarowar sins will be washed

thats more Hindu-mat

please forgive me if I have said something wrong

bhull chukk maaf

GurFAteh

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

It is just as important to keep our outside clean if we want to make our inside clean. That is why, for one thing, we must wear a kanga, wear a new turban every day, and take a shower BEFORE doing nitnem and simran.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Sat Sri Akal:

First and important thing to find out is whether Amritsar (which is an abbreviation of Amrit Sarovar), referring to the actual Sarovar Sahib was ever called Raam Daas Sarovar. I don't think it ever was (but then...I ain't no Maha-Gyani) and therefore, the Raam Daas Sarovar being to referred in the Gurbani Shabad might be something more like what Mr. Singh stated.