Are There Tables And Chairs In Any Gurdwaras Outside Of Bc, Canada?

Guest _SinghSingh_

you said:

sitting on the floor is backward because sitting on chairs is forward. something that used to happen being replaced with something new and improved. sitting on chairs is better and more advanced than sitting on the floor. this is why every home has chairs in it. chairs should be used at every opportunity and sitting on floor should not be imposed on those that do not wish to.

ummm, i thought tables and chairs had already been invented in the guru's time.

so your saying the gurus couldnt invent toilet pans (wc's) like we have now?

surely with all that power and intelligence this could have been achieved, they chose not to invent these things for those times.

most people didnt have tables and chairs at home so to have them in the langar would have been seen as a "step" up.

now that mostly everyone has tables and chairs at home we should use them at the langar. those who wish to sit on the floor should be free to do so.

do you agree with tables and/or chairs for the disabled or elderly?

the whole point is that you should not make statements that are not true. if you say you dont know, then dont say it!

its called an opinion. i am entitled to one right? or are only the high and mighty like yourself allowed to say things like that?

what about divas in the gurdwara? no religious connotations? who decided that lightbulbs should be used instead of candles anr whatever they used in those days? how do you know this is what the gurus wanted?

go on explain the religous connotations of the divas in sikhi. how do you know that candles were used in every gurudwara before the light bulb? the gurus never said anything about lights, but they told everyone to sit on the floor. if you dont believe me, why are we told to sit on the floor by the directive from east punjab, but we have not received one on lights/toilets/fridges etc?

do we have the right to have chairs in our gurdwara if the committtee and the sangat wish for their to be chairs in the langar hall?

what if they want to set up a business in the gurudwara? or eat meat and drink alcohol? or turn it into a strip club? if you want to call it a gurudwara then it belongs to all the sangat, not some comittee and their cronies.

you said that you did not think anyone believes me, that is you speaking for other people in this forum!

well has anyone agreed with you? the silence says it all.

sitting on the floor is backward because sitting on chairs is forward. something that used to happen being replaced with something new and improved. sitting on chairs is better and more advanced than sitting on the floor. this is why every home has chairs in it. chairs should be used at every opportunity and sitting on floor should not be imposed on those that do not wish to.

so those who sit down on the floor are backward according to you? and you look down on those who sit on the floor. some sikh of the gurus you are. you are a pure coconut. sod off to the church........oh wait they dont give you free food do they? its obvious you dont even understand the principles of langar or sewa.

i do not think that those who sit on the floor are backward, i think those who force people to sit on the floor are backward. dont dictate your backward beliefs on to other people. i say that people shoud have the choice to practice religion they way they want.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

yeah im most of them!! a lot have tables and chairs, but some may have a carpet optional for people to sit dwon on the floor wheras some gurdwara may have carpets main and some tables and chairs for

surely with all that power and intelligence this could have been achieved, they chose not to invent these things for those times.

most people didnt have tables and chairs at home so to have them in the langar would have been seen as a "step" up.

now that mostly everyone has tables and chairs at home we should use them at the langar. those who wish to sit on the floor should be free to do so.

your idea that the gurus could have invented anything, but chose not to, just so we could introduce those things at a later date after someone else invented them is the dumbest logic ever. i cant believe i even bothered discussing this topic with someone who came up with that as a point in his favour.

also what historical source says they didnt have chairs? i have a sofa at home, can i have one in my gurudwara too? what about a ps3 in the langar hall for the kids? eh?

i do not think that those who sit on the floor are backward, i think those who force people to sit on the floor are backward. dont dictate your backward beliefs on to other people. i say that people shoud have the choice to practice religion they way they want.

no one forces you to sit on the floor. but if you want to sit on a chair stay at home. langar is not about your personal comfort, but you dont get what its about. you are a lazy fool and you have no idea of what sikhi is about. if you dont follow your religion, you are not practicing it, your just doing what makes you happy, which is usually not the right thing as the human mind is sometimes gluttonous, lethargic and selfish. geo is a classic example.

you said:

ummm, i thought tables and chairs had already been invented in the guru's time.

Ofcourse tables and chairs for the elderly.

However intuition tells me, i can't explain it. It just feels more like your in the presence of the holy, when you are sitting on the floor. Your argument may be correct. However there is just a different experience on the floor. Maybe you need to see for yourself. But ofcourse tables and chairs for the elderly, don't want to deprive them of their health. Sometimes modern things seem cool to begin with, but they end up messing everything up. If we weren't so dependant on sedentary things to begin with, then as we get older you'd be more accustomed to living a harsher life. But this would mean your health is generally better aswell. The feel of sitting down on the floor, like it always has been during the reign of the Guru is just better. Sometimes you just got go with what your heart tells you. Beats intelligence anyday. You can come up with clever arguments, but if you never experience, merely sitting down to eat, youve missed out. I feel sorry for you. Sometimes simpler is better

your idea that the gurus could have invented anything, but chose not to, just so we could introduce those things at a later date after someone else invented them is the dumbest logic ever. i cant believe i even bothered discussing this topic with someone who came up with that as a point in his favour.

also what historical source says they didnt have chairs? i have a sofa at home, can i have one in my gurudwara too? what about a ps3 in the langar hall for the kids? eh?

no one forces you to sit on the floor. but if you want to sit on a chair stay at home. langar is not about your personal comfort, but you dont get what its about. you are a lazy fool and you have no idea of what sikhi is about. if you dont follow your religion, you are not practicing it, your just doing what makes you happy, which is usually not the right thing as the human mind is sometimes gluttonous, lethargic and selfish. geo is a classic example.

i could stay at home or i could visit my local gurdwara langar and sit and eat langar there? is that ok with you? or would you like to dictate to us how we must do things?

who is 'us'? i'm talking to you, not anyone else. unless of course you force your views on others and make them follow what you do. and at least we know you only go to your gurudwara for langar. :rolleyes:

who is 'us'? i'm talking to you, not anyone else. unless of course you force your views on others and make them follow what you do. and at least we know you only go to your gurudwara for langar. :rolleyes:

i dont go there for just langar. i didnt say that. i helped build the gurdwara and continue to provide assistance as do all the other sangat. i have been fortunate to be quite well off and i never take more than i put in, that is for the poor and needy and they are welcome to do so. we regularly have people from other faiths invited to join us and they really happy to visit us. we also visit them in their holy places and its great to share our views and differences.

we held a meeting to decide if we should have chairs and tables or sit on the floor the decision was unanimous amongst the committee and the sangat - tables and chairs. we DO have space for anyone to sit on the floor if they wish to do so but ive never seen anyone do it.

well if your opinion is based on no solid fact then its just garbage. also health and safety legislation says that all chairs and tables should be checked and disposed of every year if they arent up to scratch. if you have had them for 28 years then its illegal as well as stupid.

what if you check they chairs and they are perfectly fine? are you saying that you checked my chairs and they were faulty? when did you do this? or is this just another example of your sweeping generalisations? i have regular checks on my premises by health and safety officers and never have they stated that my chairs are unsafe and i wouldnt provide unsafe chairs to my customers and staff.

well if your opinion is based on no solid fact then its just garbage. also health and safety legislation says that all chairs and tables should be checked and disposed of every year if they arent up to scratch. if you have had them for 28 years then its illegal as well as stupid.

what if you check they chairs and they are perfectly fine? are you saying that you checked my chairs and they were faulty? when did you do this? or is this just another example of your sweeping generalisations? i have regular checks on my premises by health and safety officers and never have they stated that my chairs are unsafe and i wouldnt provide unsafe chairs to my customers and staff.

Just to confirm, do you understand the spiritual concept behind sitting on the floor, as equals? Because from your posts (quoting health and safety etc...), it seems that you don't. If that is the case, please say so.

we're sorry Geo mr. Brahmgyani sir...you are right and we are wrong...silly us who sit on the floors as chumps. I hope one day your chair and table philosophy will go so high as the darbar sahib..and maybe pray one day that we have tables and chairs inside the darbar sahib. Because its modern times...we have to learn to adapt and assimilate in the moment.

Why oh why were our gurus not as smart as you Geo. Spread your knowledge to the rest of the world, the representative of Langar...the holier then Guru Ram Das individual...preach my friend preach on. haha

In all reality...get with the program my friend..you want to perserve sikhi, the only way to do that is don't tamper with it. you want to see consquences of tampering with school of thought. Prime Example: Christianity, Islam, Judiasm....so i beg you from the bottom of my heart..have mercy on the future of this faith and stop tampering with even the tiniest of elements. By doing so it'll lead to other changes and continues...so stop.

Just to confirm, do you understand the spiritual concept behind sitting on the floor, as equals? Because from your posts (quoting health and safety etc...), it seems that you don't. If that is the case, please say so.

i understand the need for equality in all walks of life not only the langar hall. equality is equality, wether you are all on chairs or all on the floor.

i was not interested in the health and safety issues or the health/digestion issues. the ONLY reason i talked about these 2 issues is because someone else used them to make their point. please check through the posts and agree with me on this point even if you agree with nothing else that i say. thanks

i dont go there for just langar. i didnt say that. i helped build the gurdwara and continue to provide assistance as do all the other sangat. i have been fortunate to be quite well off and i never take more than i put in, that is for the poor and needy and they are welcome to do so. we regularly have people from other faiths invited to join us and they really happy to visit us. we also visit them in their holy places and its great to share our views and differences.

wow a modern day akbar the great lol!!! seriously though, it is good that those who are well off use their money for good purposes. i just hope that you dont run it like a giant cornershop.

we held a meeting to decide if we should have chairs and tables or sit on the floor the decision was unanimous amongst the committee and the sangat - tables and chairs. we DO have space for anyone to sit on the floor if they wish to do so but ive never seen anyone do it.

any record of that? are the affairs of 'your' gurudwara public? and where is this gurudwara?

so people who come to the gurudwara are considered as customers and staff? that's terrible. this is what i mean when i say gurudwaras are run like cornershops or businesses. absolutely disgusting. and my 'sweeping generalisations' are more like 'specific accusations backed by logic'.

i understand the need for equality in all walks of life not only the langar hall. equality is equality, wether you are all on chairs or all on the floor.

its not equality if those on the chair think the people on the floor are 'backward', as you said earlier.

i was not interested in the health and safety issues or the health/digestion issues. the ONLY reason i talked about these 2 issues is because someone else used them to make their point. please check through the posts and agree with me on this point even if you agree with nothing else that i say. thanks

actually it was you, with your 'optimum way' that went on about health, digestion etc. also gurudwaras have to be safe for the sangat, so health and safety regulations should be followed.

glen cove gurudwara in long island, ny has tables and chairs,

they have like a fast food theme thing, the revolving chairs attached to the tables like McDonalds.

glen cove gurudwara in long island, ny has tables and chairs,

they have like a fast food theme thing, the revolving chairs attached to the tables like McDonalds.

:@ thats real bad.

we have this kind of thing too, a gurudwara in austral(sydney) has just tables and chairs. stand in line to get the langar then sit on the chairs. if you want to sit on the floor, you gotta sit on the grass. havnt been there in years so maybe they have proper langar there now....wishful thinking i guess.