Why Have Bssf When We Have Boss

Into the Light

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

We founded the idea of a British Sikh Student Federation, after a large number of sikh youth were complaining about not having a voice within the panth or in British society.

We spent over 6 months talking to people and yes, some did suggest joining BOSS, but many also said that they wouldn't work with us of we joined BOSS.

I dont mean to criticise Boss, they have been around for a long time, and i would assume that they have done some good work in that time.

We dont intend to compete or overtake, we just want to raise the voice of the sikh student/youth population in Britian within the panth (through gurdwara's) and British society.

Once we are fully operational, we would hope to have a dedicated Media team that gets our message across, be it hate crimes against sikh youth in USA, France Turban Ban, Punjab Issues, and general student/youth concerns.

NOTE: At our first meeting, we decided to allow all members to follow any panthic maryada of their choice and not just one particular Jatha (group).

Contraversional issues such as Khalistan and Sant Bhindranwale's Shaheedi are also left to the personal opinions of each person and you are not forced to believe one particular view point.

Nice to see the debate on BSSF.

Please do let us know if we are doing anything wrong as this is your own Student Federation.

does BSSF not have a pro khalistan view point?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We founded the idea of a British Sikh Student Federation, after a large number of sikh youth were complaining about not having a voice within the panth or in British society.

We spent over 6 months talking to people and yes, some did suggest joining BOSS, but many also said that they wouldn't work with us of we joined BOSS.

I dont mean to criticise Boss, they have been around for a long time, and i would assume that they have done some good work in that time.

We dont intend to compete or overtake, we just want to raise the voice of the sikh student/youth population in Britian within the panth (through gurdwara's) and British society.

Once we are fully operational, we would hope to have a dedicated Media team that gets our message across, be it hate crimes against sikh youth in USA, France Turban Ban, Punjab Issues, and general student/youth concerns.

NOTE: At our first meeting, we decided to allow all members to follow any panthic maryada of their choice and not just one particular Jatha (group).

Contraversional issues such as Khalistan and Sant Bhindranwale's Shaheedi are also left to the personal opinions of each person and you are not forced to believe one particular view point.

Please do let us know if we are doing anything wrong as this is your own Student Federation.

does it matter?

There's no problem with having a different Sikh student organisations but my only concern would be what is the background of the people involved with the BSSF? I hope this isn't another attempt in the academic sphere to compete with BOSS in a manner similar to the way that the so-called Sikhstiudent camp competed with BOSS Sikhi camp. If the people behind this organisation are just trying to create a strong Sikh student organisation then all power to them because as some people said lately BOSS is just an organisation on paper.

does it matter?

yeh it does matter to me, thats why i asked. i wouldnt want help with any organisation that held anti khalistan views.

jujhar singh, your comments do make you seem like a small child, girl or boy. imagine something that you have dedicated your life to, and then an organisation sprouts ups and will work against your heartfelt beliefs. You gna giv them your time and effort in doing that ? I certainly would not, and i dont beleive you would either. Its human nature.We all have certain ideals/dreams/focus/aims inlife. You will only dedicate yoursleves to those who feel the same as what you do.

Our Initial Mission Statement -

Our Mission

We are a Student body for British Sikhs, with the aim of bring out a well directed and organised voice of the future generations and work to see through a healthy and diverse breed of committed, honest and sincere leaders for our Panth.

We aim to have a active and vocal presence in all British Gurdwara’s leading to a collection of young Sikhs able to manage and progress our Gurdwara’s to becoming open centres of spiritual learning and a place to collect the Panthic spirit and direct it to a meaningful outcome.

We hope to attend to issues of concern for young Sikhs and find collective and permanent solution whilst being whose unaware of our glorious history and Unparallel teachings gifted from our Guru’s.

BRITISH SIKH STUDENT FEDERATION

The issues that we discussed at our first meeting, and many of which we will take up in due course, perhaps with our sikh groups.

1. University issues

· Forced Conversions

· Discussions programmes

· Identify problem areas

· Work to resolve/confront difficulties

2. Networking

· Get Sikh youth to network with Sikhs from around the country that they may have not met otherwise.

3. Work with other Organisations

· Sikh youth Organisations

· Panthic Organisations

· Non-Sikh Organisations

4. Sikhi workshops

· Start sikhi workshops in Gurdwara’s that don’t have any.

· (Network) Workshop organisers and Build a common programme.

· Encourage young children to attend.

5. Parchar Network

· Contact Well-known Parcharik’s to attend our events.

· List names of individuals or groups. – Build a Database.

6. Inter-Faith

· Dialogue with Inter-faith organisation about youth issues especially Sikh youth.

· Attend Inter-faith programmes.

7. Nation/International Events

· June Remembrance rally (1984) Darbar Sahib Attack

· International Sikh Convention (September) Hosted by Sikh Federation (UK) normally in Wolverhampton.

· Sikh Lobby Days around world.

· Annual event of other Panthic organisations.

8. Promotion

· Promote in Gurdwara’s

· Promote online

· Promote in schools, colleges and Universities

9. Cyber, Website

· Construct and maintain website

· Quick-email reply systems – multiple repliers.

10. Financing

· Members

· Gurdwara’s

· Businesses

· Individuals

11. Awareness of Kakkar’s in educational institutes

· Hold programmes for Educational Institutes that are unaware or show ignorance towards Sikhs.

· Support other organisations working with institutes.

12. Shaheedi samagam’s

· Hold shaheedi samagam’s throughout the year.

· Honour Gurdwara President with Siropa and Photo of Shaheed’s

13. Help shaheedi families

· Hold at least one programme a year were all donations are sent to help Shaheed-families.

· Help young members of Shaheed families come to Britain for study and employment.

· Help in marriage of Young members of Shaheed-families.

14. Photo’s of Shaheed’s in Gurdwara’s

· Work to install SHAHEED Singhs/Singhanis Photo’s in Gurdwara’s around country.

· Literature about Shaheed’s in Gurdwara’s with info-boards and Literature racks.

15. Overseas Sikh Students

· Help Sikhs from other countries that have come to study in Britain.

16. Political

· Attend and comment of political issues affecting Sikhs around the world, especially youth, i.e. USA Hate crimes and France turban Case.

17. Promote Sikhs as a separate Quam and Ethnicity

· Promote Sikhs as separate Nation to gain separate monitoring as Sikhs and not Indian or Asian.

18. Help set up similar organisations in Europe and world.

· Eventually look for interested people who would like to start a similar agenda in their country, mainly in Europe.

19. Membership of Organisation

· Open donations

· Incentives

· Age boundaries

20. Registering to vote at Gurdwara’s – Youth

· Get youth to register with their local Gurdwara’s with right to vote.

Provide assistance/guidance were needed.

· Demand concession on registration fee for students.

Our Initial Mission Statement -

Mod Note: Could users please refrain from re-quoting such a long post, there are rules in place that specify what the appropriate length of thread should be. This makes it difficult for people to read replies and also wastes alot of space. Thanks.

Good Luck with tackling this extensive list. You do need a lot of committed sewadars at grass root level to execute the above changes and in my view most panthic set-ups burn out trying to achieve this due to lack of commitment, clash of egos and autocratic decision making. I hope you are able to avoid the mistakes of your predecessors..