Mandir

WJKK, WJKF

Hey all, I got a problem. My family is typically punjabi (eat meat, drink sharab etc.) anyway so I'm fortunate that I've been allowed to go to Punjab for Vaisakhi, but my mum wants me to go to this Balik Naak mandir, I refused and told her, the very thing which we go against, bowing to idols, we are practising. Now she's almost forcing me to go against my will, I don't even know what to do :umm:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gurufateh g

i was in a similar situation

i was at a neighbors house in punjab and they were a very sweet family and they were very simple hindu folk

they always visited Fatehgargh Sahib n never disrespected Sikhi

they believed God is one and they also went to a mandir

that is a huge percent of punjabis

now dont matha tak at a mandir but if ur stuck just remember that the one Lord our Akal purakh is above all

now at this time i was at my neighbors house and it was about 4 years ago n i was only 14 ish and for many times they had begged me to go to the mandir n i had gotten out of it

but this time my massi who has a similar punjabi mentality said koi gal nahi go n pushed it so i was stuck

-

at the mandir i tried to stay back a lil bit but i couldnt because i was the bahar valee batchee lol

so there are a bunch of ladies one by one doing arti meaning taking a silver platter and waving it as a form of worship

they were doing this to worship a photo of a living God

so im standing back and the plate is getting closer im a 14 year old girl what do i do

i was so lost n confused n hoping it doesnt come to me but it did

so i just closed my eyes n whispered gagan mai thal and pictured the earth performing Gods aarti

ideally if u can avoid going do so

if not than just behave with respect but not worship

ur head belongs to the guru noone else

u can give a namaskar meaning a salute n headbow(slight) out of respect the way we say ssa to elders but matha taking should be avoided

some ppl r just impossible to explain this stuff to tho

trust me ive tried so many times u gotta forgive them n try to understand how they think to them its just worship is worship

n there comes a hard balance of disrespecting someones sharda and worshiping it urself

u gotta find that balance urself but dont do anything u r uncomfy with

simple as that g

yeah i visited many mandirs tons of times. i just stand there refusing to bow before a piece of rock metal. that really pisses of my hindu friends especielly wen they bow before guru sahib. i never tell them to bow before guruji, they do that on their own and that pisses them even more. go there and don't bow although theres nothing wrong with baba balak nath. he really was a great saint type, very powerful, very obstinate don,t disrespect him although you can do with the idol what ever you want. Sikhs worship only akal purakh and bow only before guru sahib. and all gods godessess stay away from true sikhs.

dont make a fuss out of it b, just go. nothing wrong in respecting and observing the beliefs of others

nauve paatshah gave shaheedi for a dharam and way of life he did not believe in. however, maharaj respected their right to believe what they believed, and was willing to give his own head for it.

so long as you don't end up performing their rituals n stuff, you're safe. i say go with ur mom, let her do her thing, but hang back/observe yourself

You can always visit the mandir out of respect to observe how others live, doesn't mean you have to partake in the rituals or practices or even believe in it.

Entering a Mandir will not cause you to be struck by lightening, however you should maintain your beliefs - being respectful is of course allowed though.

Perhaps you can just visit and observe?

GOOD POST!!

Do not be afraid to go to the mandir, no one is asking you to bow down to the idols. Guru Gobind Singh ji says study other religions but have faith in akal purakh.

Khalsa are not insecure people and more than that they are not stubborn. I have visited mandir's on various occasions when some of my close friends have had poojas etc. I have never bowed to any idols, but remeber these people are believers just like you so show some respect. It was nice to observe the things they do to reach God and the rituals they do but you just think to yourself, how much kirpa must maharaj done to you to be born into the sikh panth!!! WE are ang sang waheguru!! no need for idols!

Don't disrespect their rituals, but don't be forced into doing anything either. I always try to respect my parents beliefs and teach them what sikhi says about bowing to idols. We went to a mandir in india and my parents and sisters all bowed to some sort of idol (can't remember where) and I simply put my hands together in respect and walked away... don't show insecurities in front of your family, khalsa is above all of that......