To All The Girls That Have Taken Amrit,,

Guest blahhhhhhh

If your insecure about your look's and you need make up to feel better about yourself, you got a deeper problem than just materialism. It's funny on one side majority amritdharis say accept the way God made you, but then they slap on make up with the other hand. Hiding your God given looks is a no no; accept it.

Jewellry is good as dust. Once again its the insecurity in a person that brings this on. Guru Gobind Singh already gave us the five diamonds that he wanted us to have.

Come one Amritdharis you should know better, illusions are only going to hinder you spiritually.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But saying accept your God given ways doesnt mean we should roam around naked. OBviously we cover up to be modest. So if someone can wear jewellery in a modest way let them. Although I don't think most people have the ability to wear jewellery, and be humble and modest. If there were they'd give their jewellery up to every person they see, less fortunate to them. That would be humble.

Although i kind of agree with that vid with yogi bhajan, i don't think he acted very humble himself with his jewellery. But thats just my opinion, i have no right to judge him, i didn't even know him. But if you saw a humble person, with jewellery, you wouldn't envy them. You'd be able to see the kindness in their eyes. I personnaly don't see that in yogi bhajan's eyes lol. he calls people stupid, with a mean demeanour

But saying accept your God given ways doesnt mean we should roam around naked. OBviously we cover up to be modest. So if someone can wear jewellery in a modest way let them. Although I don't think most people have the ability to wear jewellery, and be humble and modest. If there were they'd give their jewellery up to every person they see, less fortunate to them. That would be humble.

Although i kind of agree with that vid with yogi bhajan, i don't think he acted very humble himself with his jewellery. But thats just my opinion, i have no right to judge him, i didn't even know him. But if you saw a humble person, with jewellery, you wouldn't envy them. You'd be able to see the kindness in their eyes. I personnaly don't see that in yogi bhajan's eyes lol. he calls people stupid, with a mean demeanour

Thanks for replying Harjeet, you make a compelling case. A person wearing cloth doesn't alter the body. It just covers it up. Make up on the other hand does alter it. It makes the skin look 'nicer' than it was without.(insecrity) Also if make up was put on for modesty then why do people remove it at night, going to sleep and only wear it during the day when they go out? Same with jewellery, people only wear it when going out not at night when they are going to bed. Also you don't wear jewellery to cover up. Lastly if make up is put on for modesty then that would make a person's face immodest without make up on. So that would make God's given look's immodest, and what the human precieves as with make up on as modest. Your playing with fire here Harjeet. Something to ponder over!!!!

Guest _wannabe akali_

WJKK WJKF

now this is just my little opinion so i am sorry if i offend anyone.

bibia shouldnt really wear make up and jewelry because when a male looks at them, they may think, wow how beautiful and get dirty ideas because its enhancing their appearance. also, a bhenjis make up should be her dastar and panj kakkars.

thats all i have to say

sorry if i have offended anyone

WJKK WJKF

Guest um?
WJKK WJKF

bibia shouldnt really wear make up and jewelry because when a male looks at them, they may think, wow how beautiful and get dirty ideas because its enhancing their appearance. also, a bhenjis make up should be her dastar and panj kakkars.

thats all i have to say

WJKK WJKF

You're not being offensive at all but i want you to think about something (just my little opinion too). If a bibi's makeup is her dastar and her panj kakkars, no male would get dirty ideas about her at all? I know from experience that some males still get dirty thoughts even though they see a tyar-bar-tyar singhnee (singhnees are gorgeous!). Yes, it is a job for a singhnee to keep her dignity and she should definately represent herself as the daughter of the Guru whatever way she deems acceptable, even if she wishes to wear makeup and jewelry (thats up to HER not anyone else). If thats what she deems as presentable and acceptable, then let her be, Guru Sahib will guide her eventually, just like he guides us all. We all have a different way of presenting ourselves and everyones opinion is different...that makes us unique hunna?

If a male has dirty thoughts and ideas, its doubtful that it is due to the bhenjis eyeshadow or lipstick lol. That dude has some serious issues he needs to sort out because no matter who he looks at, he'll still have those ideas.

Now if you want to look deeper into the issue of whether wearing makeup and jewelry is wrong or not according to gurmat? I dont have that much knowledge, just ask Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, He's your guide to walk on this path.

(btw makeup has sooo many chemicals in it, why screw up your naturally beautiful skin...all you need is some natural cleansure and moisturizer everyday and you're good to go...theres tons of products out there that dont have all those harsh chemicals in them...try em!)

To all singhnia: make your Guru proud, walk with dignity. Inspire and be inspired. You are jems of this panth. JEMS!

-DKaur

Guest _kullykhalsa_

how silly is this really, on the one hand your saying girls shouldnt wear make up because singhs cud get dirty thoughts but then surely thats a singh problem you havent tackled the very issue about make up instead you've gone off on a tangent about why it shouldnt be worn for some manmukhs sake!

in a previous post i think 3 above this one, someone commented that make up shouldnt be worn because it makes the body look "nicer" i wonder if this individual wears nice clothes or shoes because this makes the body look nicer, instead if he/she really agree with this they should be content just wearing a sack!

At the end of the day wearing make up doesnt effect anyone or you, so get on wiv naam jaapna and be in chardi kala!

WJKK WJKF

thats all i have to say

WJKK WJKF

You're not being offensive at all but i want you to think about something (just my little opinion too). If a bibi's makeup is her dastar and her panj kakkars, no male would get dirty ideas about her at all? I know from experience that some males still get dirty thoughts even though they see a tyar-bar-tyar singhnee (singhnees are gorgeous!). Yes, it is a job for a singhnee to keep her dignity and she should definately represent herself as the daughter of the Guru whatever way she deems acceptable, even if she wishes to wear makeup and jewelry (thats up to HER not anyone else). If thats what she deems as presentable and acceptable, then let her be, Guru Sahib will guide her eventually, just like he guides us all. We all have a different way of presenting ourselves and everyones opinion is different...that makes us unique hunna?

If a male has dirty thoughts and ideas, its doubtful that it is due to the bhenjis eyeshadow or lipstick lol. That dude has some serious issues he needs to sort out because no matter who he looks at, he'll still have those ideas.

Now if you want to look deeper into the issue of whether wearing makeup and jewelry is wrong or not according to gurmat? I dont have that much knowledge, just ask Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, He's your guide to walk on this path.

(btw makeup has sooo many chemicals in it, why screw up your naturally beautiful skin...all you need is some natural cleansure and moisturizer everyday and you're good to go...theres tons of products out there that dont have all those harsh chemicals in them...try em!)

To all singhnia: make your Guru proud, walk with dignity. Inspire and be inspired. You are jems of this panth. JEMS!

-DKaur

yes bhenji, you are right when you said that males get dirty ideas anyway but again its my opinion so i hope i dont offend but if bhenjis dont wear make up, then it would be better because it does attract males more. for example, you go into town and you see teenage girls with razer cuts and streaks with so much foundation on they look like plastic dolls. that attracts males in a way that some people cant imagine, i know this because of boys in my school.

but in this case if the girl knows that make up can risk her safety and honour but she knows whats right and whats wrong, and can defend herself from predatory males, then i cant argue, apart from saying that make up recks your face and you would look better without it so..... :)

how silly is this really, on the one hand your saying girls shouldnt wear make up because singhs cud get dirty thoughts but then surely thats a singh problem you havent tackled the very issue about make up instead you've gone off on a tangent about why it shouldnt be worn for some manmukhs sake!

in a previous post i think 3 above this one, someone commented that make up shouldnt be worn because it makes the body look "nicer" i wonder if this individual wears nice clothes or shoes because this makes the body look nicer, instead if he/she really agree with this they should be content just wearing a sack!

At the end of the day wearing make up doesnt effect anyone or you, so get on wiv naam jaapna and be in chardi kala!

but bhaji, you say in your post that make up doesnt effect anyone. the fact is that it does. its the same with clothes. if a girl wears a tight top and short skirt, well someone is going to start thinking kaami thoughts. and sometimes it can be the same with make up, depending on how its used and to what extent. and yes, it is the singhs problem, but at the end of the day, the girl could get effected emotionally and or physically so it should realy be kept to a minimum :)

i hope i have not offended you in any way here bhaji, i dont want any enemies on this site, just good friends :)

I wish you would have read my post one more time, then maybe you would have not misintrerpreted it. Make up shouldn't been worn because it alters the face and creates the illusion the person look's 'nicer'. A person is percieved to look 'nicer' with it on, but really that's not them. This makes the person insecure about their looks and worse they are stuck in illusions.

There is a reason why people wear make up and this reason is due to insecurity and/or worldly attachments.

Read Jap ji Sahib more closely on ang 4, and anything a person does affect the soul positively or negatively. In this case it's neatively. It's easy to destroy the soul, but to mend it-it takes a life time.

I've been watchin gthis topic for some time and it has been interesting to see what people think.

I am female, amritdhari and wear make up but not jewellry. Let me explain my logic.

For me, I am quite insecure about my looks, if i were to go to the gudwara or to a public place without any make up (bearing in mind, this is not shed loads of colour, or fancy make up, just a thin layer of foundation to make my skin appear mark free) I would feel as though people are staring at me and feel really insecure. Therefore I wear a tiny bit of foundation all over just to smooth over my skin to allow me to concentrate on my Sikhi (might sound really strange) but it means my mind isn't jumping around thinking about who's looking at me etc n i cant really listen to katha/paat/kirtan etc.

It's not a thing to look better or more attractive, i suppose its for my own sanity. i appreciate everyones views that it is alterating our original appearance, which i guess it is, and i agree, but it is a way to allow my mind to focus on what is important.

The argument about whether it attracts men to look at you, all i would say is that some of the singhniya i have seen at the gudwara and around and about, are absolutly stunning without make up too, so there is nothing to day that they wouldnt find those women lustful too. So i don't want to sound as though i'm passing the buck here, but i think thats down to the guys to control.

If it were up to me, i wouldn't wear make up, but feel as though i need to at the moment. So please do not blanket us as still materialistic. I certainly am not. And that is why i do not wear jewellry, as i believe it portrays an image of ego. You may think it contradicts my argument for make up, but there is no confidence related to jewellry where as there is to make up. Jewellry, in my opinion, relates to materialism. Not make up.

I do apologise if that was all nonsense, i hope you understood what i meant.

Guest __Singhni__
I've been watchin gthis topic for some time and it has been interesting to see what people think.

I am female, amritdhari and wear make up but not jewellry. Let me explain my logic.

For me, I am quite insecure about my looks, if i were to go to the gudwara or to a public place without any make up (bearing in mind, this is not shed loads of colour, or fancy make up, just a thin layer of foundation to make my skin appear mark free) I would feel as though people are staring at me and feel really insecure. Therefore I wear a tiny bit of foundation all over just to smooth over my skin to allow me to concentrate on my Sikhi (might sound really strange) but it means my mind isn't jumping around thinking about who's looking at me etc n i cant really listen to katha/paat/kirtan etc.

It's not a thing to look better or more attractive, i suppose its for my own sanity. i appreciate everyones views that it is alterating our original appearance, which i guess it is, and i agree, but it is a way to allow my mind to focus on what is important.

The argument about whether it attracts men to look at you, all i would say is that some of the singhniya i have seen at the gudwara and around and about, are absolutly stunning without make up too, so there is nothing to day that they wouldnt find those women lustful too. So i don't want to sound as though i'm passing the buck here, but i think thats down to the guys to control.

If it were up to me, i wouldn't wear make up, but feel as though i need to at the moment. So please do not blanket us as still materialistic. I certainly am not. And that is why i do not wear jewellry, as i believe it portrays an image of ego. You may think it contradicts my argument for make up, but there is no confidence related to jewellry where as there is to make up. Jewellry, in my opinion, relates to materialism. Not make up.

I do apologise if that was all nonsense, i hope you understood what i meant.

Penji, i still can't understand why would need to wear makeup. What about a bibi who gets facial hair? Your reason seems minor when it comes to Bibis who have facial hair. Some bibis I know are really strong when it comes to that and walk out proudly without any fear of what others think. Naam should be your only support. If you start doing more naam abhiyaas and gurbani abhiyaas, you wil start realising who you are, not what you see from the outside. All that will seem pointless.

gurfateh