Sikh Revenges Hindu Priest's "secret Wedding"

Well for those Sikhs who are upset as this wedding then and oppose a Sikh girl marrying a non-Sikh boy then revenge attacks like this are only counter productive. What should have happened is that the girls' father should have asked to have a meeting with his daughter's fiance. He should have told him that it is important for him for his daughter to marry an amritdhari Sikh. The father should have gave the fiance and his daughter three choices a) Leave the girl and forget about marrying her b) Tell his daughter that he will disown her and she is not to ever again contact her family or call herself a Sikh if she desides to continue on with this relationship c) Tell the fiance that if he were to voluntary become a Sikh and take Amrit Sanskar then he would accept this relationship and the fiance will be embraced by the family and the local Sikh community. I all goes to show that you have to be reasonable about these things and give the couple certain choice and make it clear about the consequences of these choices. The Sikh community has a right to demand that the non-Sikh fiance who plans to marry a Sikh women for example that he has to become a Sikh. Cases like this gives weight to the argument that Khalistan is needed for Sikhism to survive. Now usually non-Sikhs living in a non-Sikh country will not embrace Sikhism to marry a Sikh but that could be different if Khalistan was an independant country. It is easier to follow Sikhism if you are in an environment where everyone are amritdhari Sikhs. Now look at this hypothetical case, a Sikh girl from a rural villiage in an independant Khalistan returns home from studying abroad and brings her non-Sikh fiance back with her. Her family and the villagers are not impressed and do not except this relationship and demands that the non-Sikh boy becomes a Sikh in order to marry her. It is 100 times more likely that the Non-Sikh boy will become a Sikh in this environment then becoming a Sikh in an area where there is few Sikhs.

or they could just visit somewhere else in the world? i havent been to india since before i was married and that was 7 years ago.

Geo, U r such a Hindu.

Trying to incite people make negative comments about using violence, for your own gain. You are trying to say that those Sikhs that are loyal are fundamentalists.

Was the priest acting responsibly? Should he have said that they should ask their parents.

regardless of what the priest did or didnt do, he should not have been firebombed. and neither should the girls friends be firebombed.

the family discuss these this with the couple and try to find a solution.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the Rooprai family and can I say that the girl was fully educated about Sikhi. It was her stubborness and a want for 'freedom' that led her to marry a Hindu. Her parents were fairly happy for her to go out with friends to the cinema, restaurants etc, but noway would she have been allowed to go clubbing or to have a boyfriend.

As Sikh parents, they recited their paath everyday, especially her father. He also visits the Gurdwara every morning to take part in doing the Seva of Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Sandip Rooprai and his siblings including his sister all learnt Kirtan and performed shabads at the Gurdwara, even participating in Akhand Paths to do raul.. (sorry for the spelling mistakes).

All the family participated in doing paath, be it Japji Sahib, Sukhmani Sahib, Kirtan Sohila and even Simran.

The girl's parents did sit down with the boy and girl and they told them they are not happy with them two getting married, but they ran off and got married anyway. All you people who think they did nothing, they did A LOT!! When the two refused, then the girls parents agreed to marry them in India, as the boys parents live there and still, they did what they wanted and got married in a Hindu ceremony.

The Muslim girl was very welcome at the Rooprai house and she was treated like a daughter. How would any of you feel if your daughter's friend accompany's your daughter to get married behind your back?? Even AFTER you have agreed to accept their marriage if they do it on your terms.

Same for the Hindu Priest. He knew about the parents wishes. They wanted the couple to get married in India and they told the Priest, as he was the friend of the girl's 'husband'.

How much hurt is a family supposed to put up with? You try your best to bring up a family with the right sanskar and that is the best you can do.

I do not condone Sandip Rooprai's actions, but he has a very large family and think of how hurt they would have been. Grandparents, Massiyan, Thiye, chachiyan etc. He decided to rid his family of this pain and hurt. He took it in to his own hands to hurt the people that had hurt his family, not to kill them. Can i also state that no-one was killed.

It was NOT a honour killing. It was a young boy, a normal young guy that wanted to relieve his family of this pain. He did not think it through, as he has never taken to being violent before, he is just an innocent naive young boy.

I know the Rooprai family and can I say that the girl was fully educated about Sikhi. It was her stubborness and a want for 'freedom' that led her to marry a Hindu. Her parents were fairly happy for her to go out with friends to the cinema, restaurants etc, but noway would she have been allowed to go clubbing or to have a boyfriend.

As Sikh parents, they recited their paath everyday, especially her father. He also visits the Gurdwara every morning to take part in doing the Seva of Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Sandip Rooprai and his siblings including his sister all learnt Kirtan and performed shabads at the Gurdwara, even participating in Akhand Paths to do raul.. (sorry for the spelling mistakes).

All the family participated in doing paath, be it Japji Sahib, Sukhmani Sahib, Kirtan Sohila and even Simran.

The girl's parents did sit down with the boy and girl and they told them they are not happy with them two getting married, but they ran off and got married anyway. All you people who think they did nothing, they did A LOT!! When the two refused, then the girls parents agreed to marry them in India, as the boys parents live there and still, they did what they wanted and got married in a Hindu ceremony.

The Muslim girl was very welcome at the Rooprai house and she was treated like a daughter. How would any of you feel if your daughter's friend accompany's your daughter to get married behind your back?? Even AFTER you have agreed to accept their marriage if they do it on your terms.

Same for the Hindu Priest. He knew about the parents wishes. They wanted the couple to get married in India and they told the Priest, as he was the friend of the girl's 'husband'.

How much hurt is a family supposed to put up with? You try your best to bring up a family with the right sanskar and that is the best you can do.

I do not condone Sandip Rooprai's actions, but he has a very large family and think of how hurt they would have been. Grandparents, Massiyan, Thiye, chachiyan etc. He decided to rid his family of this pain and hurt. He took it in to his own hands to hurt the people that had hurt his family, not to kill them. Can i also state that no-one was killed.

It was NOT a honour killing. It was a young boy, a normal young guy that wanted to relieve his family of this pain. He did not think it through, as he has never taken to being violent before, he is just an innocent naive young boy.

Thanks for telling the truth veerji.

WJKK WJKF

WJKK WJKF

Something doesn't sound right here. The girl's brother would not have done what he did if you say that his own parents agreed to do the wedding in India.

Oh and what a coincidence that the Hindu boy was friends with the priest, very convient if you want to get married?

If the Muslim girl was like a daughter, why the girls brother target her???

Just because you come here, how do we know what you saying is even correct.

In my personal opinion this is not correct.

WJKK WJKF

Something doesn't sound right here. The girl's brother would not have done what he did if you say that his own parents agreed to do the wedding in India.

Oh and what a coincidence that the Hindu boy was friends with the priest, very convient if you want to get married?

If the Muslim girl was like a daughter, why the girls brother target her???

Just because you come here, how do we know what you saying is even correct.

In my personal opinion this is not correct.

It is up to you if u want to believe what is written or not,but I am happy to answer any questions.

Firstly,you say the girl's brother would not have done that if his parents agreed to getting them married in India...

The parents were not happy with their daughter marrying someone outside the Sikh faith,but taking into consideration their daughters feelings,they agreed to marry them in india.However,the couple ran away from home and got married behind the parents back in a Hindu ceremony.so when the parents have said they will marry them,why did they run away and do it?? It is the betrayal that hurt the family.even till this day,there was no reason for them to run away.

Secondly, yes the boy was living with the priest at the time,so conveniently they were friends.

Thirdly, when the girl ran away,her parents visited the home of the muslim friend and asked her if she knew where their daughter was and she swore she knew nothing.days after, Sandip had access to his sisters email account and found photos of the 'wedding' and the muslim girl was sitting next to his sister.thats called betrayal.

Everyone has a right to their opinion,if you think that these are lies,that's up to you.I am just trying to shed some light on this matter,as the Rooprai family are a great family who have had to face this great tragedy.

• 2 weeks later...

I have read some of the posts on this topic. I am disguisted with some people who are criticising the rooprai family and how they should of bought up their children. Who are we to know how they were bought up and whether they practised sikhi. We should not comment about the parents upbringing. Also, looking at some of the logos on this topic, we are all bigging up bhindrawala and the way he fought for sikhi, but when a young sikh like Sandip Singh takes action, we criticise him for standing up for his family!

the only problem i have is the parents agreed to the marriage but on their own terms? why did they agree to it at all? i presume the hindu guy was a fob if his parents are from india.

why did they want them to get married in india? what exactly would that have acheived?

unless they would have taken her to india gotten the guy shot.

*UK CITIZENSHIP COMES TO MIND*

what a complete loser that girl is i hope she is happy with her husband, she probably won't be because if you upset your parents your never happy.

The only thing that can and rightly should be judged here, is the idiotic actions of the girls brother. He could have killed someone, in any case, he knowingly attempted to burn someones home down, that in it self is a henious and jail worthy crime. Pathetic boy.

No one else has commited a crime, the parents did the best they could in a difficult situation.

You are not antarjaami, so stop acting like it.