** Remembrance March & Freedom Rally ( Sunday 7 June 2009 In Central London, Uk ) **

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am surprised to see absolute zero coverage of this event in the media. Forget about BBC,Sky etc, not even a single news paper made any mention of it. If you search in Google news you just get a couple of pakistani news papers mentioning it.

I sent links to the events pics to a private indian channel but no mention of it. I think its important for us to try to get some coverage. I remember lot of mention about Tamilian protest,tibetan protest and kashmiri protests also. Then why we couldn't get any media attention at all. I think we should push to get media coverage by whichever means possible. Its not that we need attention or anything but its just that when we are trying everything else we should also push for media attention. I am sure there are various wealthy sikhs in UK, they can use their popularity and connections for this. I was just wondering if its possible to get someone like Joanna Lumley who fought for Gurkha cause to help get sikh cause publicity?

Just received this interesting link:

http://mylondondiar y.co.uk/

The write up Peter Marshall reads as follows:

Never Forget 84 was the slogan on many of the t-shirts and posters, while other placards spelled out in detail and graphic pictures some of the atrocities committed by Indian forces and Hindu mobs against Sikhs in 1984.

Operation Blue Star, in June 1984, when the Indian Army attacked the Golden Temple at Amritsar to detain Sikhs who were fighting for an independent Sikh state of Khalistan, destroyed much of the temple and, according to independent accounts, killed around 5000 Sikhs, many of them women and children (Sikh sources put the figure around twice as high.)

Indian Prime Minister Indira Ghandi was blamed for the attack, and in October 2004 she was assassinated by two Sikhs serving as her bodyguards. Following this, there was widespread mob violence against Sikhs, particularly around Delhi, incited by prominent members of the Congress party, with police often giving their active support, and thousands were massacred.

Both the fight for Khalistan and the persecution of Sikhs have continued, although attracting little news coverage in the outside world. Sikhs claim that over 250,000 Sikhs have been killed by in an orchestrated genocide by the Indian government.

The largest of the Sikh separatist groups is Babbar Khalsa International, founded by Sukhdev Singh Babbar (1955-92) and one of 45 groups from around the world proscribed by the UK government by the Terrorism Act 2000 (the 45 include another Sikh group, the International Sikh Youth Federation.) One of the best-known Babbar freedom fighters is Jagtar Singh Hawara, who escaped from a maximum security jail in 2004 with two other Sikh militants.

Sunday's demonstration started with a rally in Hyde Park, with speakers calling for an independent Khalistan. Police made an attempt to ban some of the placards carried by marchers, with Superintendent Kohli, the officer in charge, objecting particularly to placards which named some prominent Indian politicians and had an image of an anonymous head in a gun-sight (presumably seeing them as an incitement to violence) while Constable Lockwood objected to some photographs of massacre victims as being unsuitable as they might be viewed by children.

Kohli was also carrying an A4 sheet with the Babbar symbol on it, which was so widespread among the placards and some banners at the event that he presumably felt it impossible to take action against. I saw no arrests being made or individuals on the march being warned for carrying pictures of Babbar or Hawara with the Babbar symbol. Although some kind of agreement was apparently reached between police and marchers, many if not all of the placards they had objected to were also being carried.

While objections made under the Terrorism Act 2000 relating to proscribed organisations would appear to be a clear, the objections raised about the content of some of the photographs (possibly under Section 5 of the Public Order Act) seem considerably more controversial, and very much an attempt by the police themselves to act as censors rather than to respond to any public complaints. It seemed very much to be an attack on free expression and would seem to be liable to challenge as an attack on human rights.

The Terrorism Act proscribed a number of organisations that to the communities concerned seem to represent their legitimate aspirations for self-determination. At times these decisions seem to have been based on a narrowly seen US interest and a political need by the US and its allies in the so-called ‘war on terror’ to keep governments facing struggles for liberation on the US side.

At the front of the march were five Sikhs dressed in orange, with swords held up, walking barefoot (the Panj Piare), followed by a group of Sikh leaders, and then rows of mainly young people with tall black poles bearing black flags, followed by 16 black coffins. Behind them was a long and fairly tightly packed march with perhaps 20,000 Sikhs, many carrying banners and placards including those that the police had objected to.

This was the 25th anniversary of the 1984 massacres, and feelings seemed to be running even higher than in previous years, with much more widespread support for Babbar. The march was to a rally in Trafalgar Square but I left it before it reached there.

Interesting photos of police discussing matters with Sikhs.

Just received this interesting link:

http://mylondondiar y.co.uk/

The write up Peter Marshall reads as follows:

Never Forget 84 was the slogan on many of the t-shirts and posters, while other placards spelled out in detail and graphic pictures some of the atrocities committed by Indian forces and Hindu mobs against Sikhs in 1984.

Operation Blue Star, in June 1984, when the Indian Army attacked the Golden Temple at Amritsar to detain Sikhs who were fighting for an independent Sikh state of Khalistan, destroyed much of the temple and, according to independent accounts, killed around 5000 Sikhs, many of them women and children (Sikh sources put the figure around twice as high.)

Indian Prime Minister Indira Ghandi was blamed for the attack, and in October 2004 she was assassinated by two Sikhs serving as her bodyguards. Following this, there was widespread mob violence against Sikhs, particularly around Delhi, incited by prominent members of the Congress party, with police often giving their active support, and thousands were massacred.

Both the fight for Khalistan and the persecution of Sikhs have continued, although attracting little news coverage in the outside world. Sikhs claim that over 250,000 Sikhs have been killed by in an orchestrated genocide by the Indian government.

The largest of the Sikh separatist groups is Babbar Khalsa International, founded by Sukhdev Singh Babbar (1955-92) and one of 45 groups from around the world proscribed by the UK government by the Terrorism Act 2000 (the 45 include another Sikh group, the International Sikh Youth Federation.) One of the best-known Babbar freedom fighters is Jagtar Singh Hawara, who escaped from a maximum security jail in 2004 with two other Sikh militants.

Sunday's demonstration started with a rally in Hyde Park, with speakers calling for an independent Khalistan. Police made an attempt to ban some of the placards carried by marchers, with Superintendent Kohli, the officer in charge, objecting particularly to placards which named some prominent Indian politicians and had an image of an anonymous head in a gun-sight (presumably seeing them as an incitement to violence) while Constable Lockwood objected to some photographs of massacre victims as being unsuitable as they might be viewed by children.

Kohli was also carrying an A4 sheet with the Babbar symbol on it, which was so widespread among the placards and some banners at the event that he presumably felt it impossible to take action against. I saw no arrests being made or individuals on the march being warned for carrying pictures of Babbar or Hawara with the Babbar symbol. Although some kind of agreement was apparently reached between police and marchers, many if not all of the placards they had objected to were also being carried.

While objections made under the Terrorism Act 2000 relating to proscribed organisations would appear to be a clear, the objections raised about the content of some of the photographs (possibly under Section 5 of the Public Order Act) seem considerably more controversial, and very much an attempt by the police themselves to act as censors rather than to respond to any public complaints. It seemed very much to be an attack on free expression and would seem to be liable to challenge as an attack on human rights.

The Terrorism Act proscribed a number of organisations that to the communities concerned seem to represent their legitimate aspirations for self-determination. At times these decisions seem to have been based on a narrowly seen US interest and a political need by the US and its allies in the so-called ‘war on terror’ to keep governments facing struggles for liberation on the US side.

At the front of the march were five Sikhs dressed in orange, with swords held up, walking barefoot (the Panj Piare), followed by a group of Sikh leaders, and then rows of mainly young people with tall black poles bearing black flags, followed by 16 black coffins. Behind them was a long and fairly tightly packed march with perhaps 20,000 Sikhs, many carrying banners and placards including those that the police had objected to.

This was the 25th anniversary of the 1984 massacres, and feelings seemed to be running even higher than in previous years, with much more widespread support for Babbar. The march was to a rally in Trafalgar Square but I left it before it reached there.

Interesting photos of police discussing matters with Sikhs.

Link to Peter Marshall's photos and captions:

http://mylondondiary.co.uk/2009/06/jun07-01.htm

The police really are dim i have to say that, you had to be there to hear the whole conversation!! Im guessing the author was one of the camera men clicking away and eavesdropping on the conversation lol

If he had stayed a bit longer and listened to a bit more about what Kohli had to say when the other white coppers were not around, then he may have had something a lot more interesting to talk about!

These coppers are clowns every single year they approach Singhs and ask them,why are they there for they say things like dont cause trouble this and that - i mean we're here to mark a genocide together why are we going to fight?

Clowns total clowns especially the asian ones they recruit from all over London areas like Hounslow,Ealing,Southall and others then they send them down,1 aked me why are you here and why are you carrying the placard what is on the placard this was some mona asian one who claimed to be a Sikh.I go didn't you boss give you a briefing he didn't just send you down,then he wanted to go into a discussion at the same time speeches were going on I just walked off.The goreh never had no problems or nothing but he was on about 'gun's on placards BK logo and so on, so after a while he came back I go we are not a threat to britain.Then he saw the TAMIL TIGERS with Tamil flags who had joined the Sikh Rally and even though they claim the tamil logo is illegal the tamils still carried it and do every day in Central London.

The normal Police have no problem its just these Kohli types and them asian ones,shame on them they could not stop us carrying our placards and banners,we Sikhs openly decalred at the rally who are enemies were on the placards and we openly honoured our Shaheeds - they could not do a thing,even when the Indian flag / along with RSS flag was burned in the streets what could they do ? Nothing ,they're quick to jump and claim offence when we carry placards of Shaheeds and logos with Shasthar as it might India but they become SILENT DUCKS when we ask for our rights or to apply international pressure against India, they're quick to label Sikh groups terrorists but when it comes to RSS they stay silent EVENT THOUGH the issue of banning this group came up in the UK HOUSE OF LORDS late last year.

The reality is they can't stop us honouring our Shaheeds and we will continue to do so in all manners,like Indy said in the speech we shouldnt kid ourselves the power lies within us ,no one will give it to you ,and like the sister at the end of the rally said when quoting mahraj Koi kiseh ko raj na deh hai jo leh hai nikhbal seh leh hai

I REALLY HOPE THE SIKH CHANNEL FILMED THE RALLY and will show it

Does any other media outlet have video will there be a DVD like Sikhs in the Sq comming out

I URGE ALL PEOPLE READING THIS UPLODA YOUR VIDEOS TO YOUTUBE AND POST PICS HERE

THIS WAS THE BIGGEST RALLY SO FAR SINCE 1984 AND BY FAR THE MOST PROFESSIONAL ,this rally gave birth to a whole generation of new KHALISTANIS and has booste the morale of us all

MORE VIDEOS N PICS!