Shastar Vidiya Video On More4

caveman

it was ment to be kept gupt within faujis only. an army doesnt share its weapons and knowledge with the world, just as jang vidhiya was to be kept gupt, but ended up becoming too gupt. people out there still know it just dont advertise it. there is a fauji at raqba that learned from Akali Nihang Baba Giana Singh 'Rabb Ji' ... niddar's gurdev's gurdev who supposedly openly teaches jang vidya and not gatka

yeah ive heard this aswell when someone on this forum said to me but i failed to believe it but id rather have someone from raqba confirm vidiya is being taught there!

Caveman:

caveman :)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I played with one of his students a couple of years back, and it was only after I woke up the next day with an swollen wrist that I realised he's been blocking by attacking my wrist and not the blade. They also have some great blade trapping practices that resemble the "sticky hands" techniques of Wing Chun."

Kali/Eskrima are not pure forms of the Filipino Vidya. They are heavily influenced by the Spanish fighting techniques, particularly knife, footwork is heavily influenced by Wing Chun and other Chinese styles.

The pure 'animalistic' (Pashu equivalent) styles (pre-Spanish invasion) still exist, but finding a teacher is very difficult. The real footwork is not form based/limited, it is very weird to see and practice, sort of stumbling forward and backward (Drunken Monk style is the nearet equivalent) and their is a huge amount of deception invloved int eh attacks (similar to SV). There is no stick on stick (sword on sword) all attacks are to vital points (subtle slash) and the wrist is a prime target.

The weapon is not trapped, the weapon hand is brought under control (like SV) with a feather touch, and teh weapon is then rapidly removed or turned on the aggressor.

the vidiya was kept gupt because most techniques are very dangerous and if mastered, even a low level technique is lethal. the higher you go the more lethal the techniques, the more lethal the mentallity i.e. rudra. (those who learn the vidiya will understand what i mean by rudra, i will not go into it deeper).

at the time of battle, the biggest danger and weakness for your enemy is what he does NOT know. so with the vidiya being gupt, the hindu, mughal or afgan enemy would not in any way know what hell was to be unleashed.

it is the same with karate or any other martial art. but an example from karate a few centuries ago. if yoou wanted to learn karate, the master didnt teach you. you would have to show your dedication for years at a time in some cases by CLEANING and BROOMING the training ground. but you wuld be taught nothing until the sensei knew that you wer ready.

ps. thanks for putting up the video caveman

this is where gatka then came in. when the enemy or in the majority case, the british came to see the nihangs train in their martial art, the nihangs would spin the swords and sticks in a "flashy" style. the british thought that this was the martial art. but their whole battalion was beheaded by the nihang jatha. the british did not even learn about the existance of shastar vidiya until after the 1st Anglo-Sikh war.

would anyone on this forum recommend going to this martial arts? its only ive developed a phobia of going out alone at nights and even sometimes during the daytime i once got assaulted by a gang of idiots and suffered many injurys, could i learn how to defend myself by attending this martial arts?

would anyone on this forum recommend going to this martial arts? its only ive developed a phobia of going out alone at nights and even sometimes during the daytime i once got assaulted by a gang of idiots and suffered many injurys, could i learn how to defend myself by attending this martial arts?

it is definitely worth learning, and yes you would easily be able to defend yourself and more from being taught by niddar singh.