Security Searches And Turbans

The only place I've ever been asked to remove my dastar was transitting through Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. I refused, lol, and in the end, they let me through but this was pre 9/11.

Different countries have different rules, but all should provide a private room if they really must see what you have under your dastar.

The only place I've ever been asked to remove my dastar was transitting through Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. I refused, lol, and in the end, they let me through but this was pre 9/11.

Different countries have different rules, but all should provide a private room if they really must see what you have under your dastar.

You are lucky Singh, because Saudi Arabia doesn't even allow Sikhs in. Probably you were at the airport so they let you go. But the ones who live in the cities over there and work, they are not allowed to wear turbans. They leave their hair open from back, like pony tail style you can say, and cover head with some cloth, perhaps bandana style. Thats from what I have heard from several Sikhs, and since I grew up in Dubai, I knew it all my life anyways.

Guest HaRdKaUrWaRrIoRz

I have flown from canada to so many places in the US, from the east to the south to the west etc... ( these days flights are being cancelled and re routed so much ive had some crazy flights) and i fly about like hmm...6 times a year? roughly?

so no they will take you to a separate room adn say you can feel your turban or i can and yuoc an say i prefer to feel my turban and you knda show them you dont have anything in it... also some times thy have this radar thing so noone needs to touch it, just comply with them and stay relaxed, they wont do anything to tell you to take it off, as a matter of fact it is your right adn they have been trained ( the TSA in the states) as to who sikhs are and how you cant take it off...i think its the sikh research intitute that sent out an email a while ago to me regarding this, you can perhaps get in touch with them and learn your rights so you wont haev to face anything, you can show them that you know your stuff so ppl knida thin ktwice

so you shouldnt have to take your dastaar off at all, in all my travelling i never have had to, just comply with going to a separate room and theyre very friendly to you , if you start to resist then they think thres a reason right so no worries

as a matter of fact ive gone as far at to san juan peurto rico with my dastaar jsut cus i was in florida at that time i was like lets check it out:)

and many singhs singhnees go to carribean too without a problem :)

ps canada, of course, has no problem with that at all ( too many sikhs already lol so they know their stuff)

Has any practicing turban wearing sikh ever had to remove their turban at airport security?

What are the rules governing searching of head turbans?

Even if you get asked to do so, make sure you get through without doing so.

It would be going against the UN laws.

They will ask you again and again to remove your Dastaar, but they know very well that they are allowed to let you through if you insist.

BEFORE TRAVELING... Make sure you know the significance of the Panj Kakaars.

This way, you won't look just like a stubborn person in the morning...or a suspicious stubborn person... instead of a Sikh.

When they know that YOU know what you're Dastaar means to you/Sikhi, it'll be easier.

Especially about this kind of thing... Guru ji does NOT want us to let it go without a proper standing ground.

I remember I saw a lady who through her small Kirpaan in the trash. Wahiguruu... :@

I had to pick it out of course, and got permission to give it to my dad...but the thing was she did not even attempt to SHOW that the Kirpaan..

Anyway...

There is no harm in trying to keep your Dastaar on. :D

Given that none of the 911 hijackers wore turbans but all wore xlorhing.............it follows that authorities should make non-turbanned people take of their clothes.

It is absolutely ridiculous that turbans should be removed if people are not being asked to remove all their other clothing just as often. Those responsible for security should be called the mat on this complete lack of logic.

hey,

Yea last 3 years i've been travelling atleast once a month i'll be on a plane, and not once have I been asked to take off my dastaar. Walk with confidence, be polite,

if its a lady working ...flirt, cheer her up a little haha, no harm making some one's day for an easy way through security right.

Other then that, usually ask me to take of my Karra, but i'd say its too hard to take it off and it'll hurt so they say okay. Other then that i'd tell them to go ahead and phsyically touch the dastaar or go around with a wand to check for anything. That's about it.

going through security - be confident, smile and have a casual talk. It works. Imagine you working an 8 hour shift doing the same thing over and over again...you make them smile an easier time for you!!