Sant In Sikhism

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my simple understanding. Some may agree and some may not. See if it makes sense to you.

We all humans, animals etc etc are born. We are all souls, right?? We, normal humans, are given birth as human to give us chance to wash our old karmas and attain mukti from this birth-death cycle. We do it or not, thats another discussion.

But sant are special people. They come to this earth, not to attain mukti themselves or wash their karma, anything like that. They come to guide us, the moorakh. They are sent by GOD to show us the path, to make us walk on the path of dharam. They are guiding pillars for us.

But who are the real special SANT jan sent by GOD to show us bhagti marg and who are sent to wash their own karma, that we should already know from our SIKH history from Baba Bakala sakhi.

Even though its a good discussion based on Gurbani, but I don't see people are getting anywhere.

My understanding with tuchh budhi given by God, says that Sant do exist. But recoginizing the real ones, its upto you. And if you doubt too many of them, then stick with the biggest Sant of all. And that you all know is. Sahib Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee.

Bhul Chuk Muaaf.

Only Five ji,

Then according to you, Guru Arjun Dev ji Maharaj was wrong where Guruji mentioned 'Hum Santan ki Ren Pyare, Hum Santan ki sarna''Sant Hamari ouot Satani, Sant Hamara Ghena'

hm sMqn kI rynu ipAwry hm sMqn kI srxw ]

ham sa(n)than kee raen piaarae ham sa(n)than kee saranaa ||

I am the dust of the feet of the Beloved Saints; I seek the Protection of their Sanctuary.

sMq hmwrI Et sqwxI sMq hmwrw ghxw ]1]

sa(n)th hamaaree outt sathaanee sa(n)th hamaaraa gehanaa ||1||

The Saints are my all-powerful Support; the Saints are my ornament and decoration. ||1||

ang 614

Now, Mohinder Pal ji, do explain how I said anythong contrary to these tuks. When I read your post it doesn't make any sense. What you accuse me of and what I actually said are opposite. But if I am mistaken, do clear this up for me.

Fateh jee

i think we all agree that in banee reference is to Guru and Sant as in people. however one can contemplate on the title sant. as gurvah said it is an avastha reached by some people huna, but daas would like to know where did the title sant start from? who was the first person to have the title sant? from where did it originate? lets do this without offendeing anyone/jatha/sant please yeah.

Fateh jee

.....but daas would like to know where did the title sant start from? who was the first person to have the title sant? from where did it originate?

The word is much older than Sikhi, so it's impossible to say when it was first used. It's roots are in the Sanskrit word 'sat'.

K Singh Deep.... Please donot twist the meanings of Gurbani for ur Sake. If Guruji wanted to do seva of Satguru, then Guru ji could have mentioned Guru in the Above Gurbani tuks. Guruji SPecifically mentioned SANT and Daas of the Gurmukhs.

You are Totally confused about Gurbani, either you do it Intentionally or donot understand the Meaning of Gurbani.

Thank you very much for declaring ,"You are Totally confused about Gurbani, either you do it Intentionally or do not understand the Meaning of Gurbani". I have no doubt and fully agree that you have understood Gurbani 100% and you and your other friends supporting you are fully competent enough to declare that a person specific is totally confused about Gurbani, either does it Intentionally or do not understand the Meaning of Gurbani.( may he be of your fathers age and doing Dharam parchar ,and had been participating in Seva of Punj Pyare for Amrit Sanchaar for the years more than that of your age). Congrats my dear child for achieivingthis stage and I bow before you, and your such a great knowledge and your vocabulary Which is not less than a "SANT".

WAHEGURU JI KA kHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

.... was there anyone with this title prior to this?

Yes, in Gurbani Bhagat Kabir Ji refers ti himself as 'Sant' at one point and Bhagat Prehlad is also called 'Sant' at one place. However, it's use has become much more widespread in the last few decades.

you cannot possibly deny the word is being exploited by 99% of the population. For me a sant could be someone who comes to the gurudwara in simple clothes, connects his beerti with waheguru and leaves - all without anyone even noticing him or her. Mahapurashs that are truly connected do not like to come out in the open, let alone being called a sant.