Do You Believe You Have To Be Gursikh To Be A Sikh

jgill

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol

so many ways to answer that question.

but sikh culture is very different from punjabi culture i can tell you.

whatever else, you can't be a GURsikh, without devoting yourself to the guru by taking amrit.

rehni ruhai, soee sikh mera. oohh sahib, mai os ka chera.

Jab lag Khaalsaa ruhe niyara, tab lag tej diu mai sara,

jub eh guhe bipran ki reet, mai na karon in ki purteet

and

ਜਉ ਤਉ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਖੇਲਣ ਕਾ ਚਾਉ

जउ तउ प्रेम खेलण का चाउ ॥

Ja▫o ṯa▫o parem kẖelaṇ kā cẖā▫o.

If you desire to play this game of love with Me,

ਸਿਰੁ

सिरु धरि तली गली मेरी आउ ॥

Sir ḏẖar ṯalī galī merī ā▫o.

then step onto My Path with your head in hand.

ਇਤੁ

इतु मारगि पैरु धरीजै ॥

Iṯ mārag pair ḏẖarījai.

When you place your feet on this Path,

<a class="dict" href="http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.dictionary?Param=%E0%A8%B8%E0%A8%BF%E0%A8%B0%E0%A9%81" onmouseover="ddrivetip('isir /i   From Sira', 250)" ;="" onmouseout="hideddrivetip()">ਸਿਰੁ ਦੀਜੈ ਕਾਣਿ ਕੀਜੈ ॥੨੦॥

सिरु दीजै काणि न कीजै ॥२०॥

Sir ḏījai kāṇ na kījai. ||20||

give Me your head, and do not pay any attention to public opinion. ||20||

yes fair enough there are devotees who understand a bit of what they should be doing etc. but not enough kirpa for them, maybe they might become gursikhs.

but you can't know about guru ji's hukam, guru da banna or attain that level of spirituality without practising it - and if a monna or a non amritdhari develops enough knowledge and piar then surely they would understand what they must do. if they don't fully believe in guru's teachings ie. carry on with some of their manmats, then they're still manmukh and not gurmukh like many of us, but we should try to become gurmukhs and not take shortcuts/excuses

do you believe you have to be a gursikh to be a sikh

Your motive from other posts makes it clear that you are essentially asking:

“What is the most cowardly way that I can consider myself brave".

The answer is there is not a single one.

Instead, why don't you ask the same question we should all ask....How can I become a better sikh(=gursikh) myself. A Sikh is someone who has the humility to do that. There are many beautiful brothers and sisters from all backgrounds and at all stages who approach sikhi with this humility as we speak.

Stop it with the childish games and rants to justify your personal circumstances and practices jgill, you are bringing the quality of discussion on this forum way down.

How would being a "Sikh of the Guru" not mean to be a "GurSikh"????

The point of Sikhi is to do as the Guru prescribes us. We are all too stupid to figure the divine truth without Guru Sahib.

We constantly need Guru Sahibs guidance "Nitnaym Gurbani" Guru Granth Sahib Paat etc or we are just a wandering soul like a stray dog with no master.

There are thousands of AntiSikh factions out in the world twisting Sikhi/Gurbani so that many dont follow Sikhi the way GuruSahib laid down the teachings so those foolish people fight against the true form of Sikhi. They cant beat us so they twist Sikhi around to fit the manmat manmukh bill and thus creates a cancer cell within the main focus of Sikhi as being a form of religion that we take on the roop of our founders. People that cut their hair and take on societies roop will forever be stuck in the tradition of constant change with fads/trends and will never find peace. The get upset when they see true people following Guru Sahibs hukam and that is the reason why we all must take on Guru Sahibs roop and live according to the true Sikh traditions.

People want to live a "lah-lah land" Sikhi which is flawed to its core and seem to fight against what Guru Sahib has laid out for anyone that calls themselves a Sikh of Guru Sahib. COming to the Gurdwara doesnt mean you are a Sikh, it just means you come to the Gurdwara frequently. Until you give your head to Guru Sahib then you are a dog without a collar and wander from each scavanged bit of food to the next meal and never have the same bed to lay in. People want to claim they are a Sikh when they dont read Gurbani daily eiother at all or at correct times. People want to claim they are a Sikh without the Gurus Roop. People want to claim they have allegience to Sikhi but seem to adopt the opposite of what Guru prescribes us that want to be under Guru Sahibs shelter. Making your own form of worship is false and will never bear fruit in the main goal of Sikhi.

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸਬਦਿ ਰੰਗਾਵਲੇ ਅਹਿਨਿਸਿ ਹਰਿ ਰਸੁ ਭੋਗੁ ॥

The Gurmukhs are attuned to the Word of the Shabad. Day and night, they enjoy the Sublime Essence of the Lord. ||3||

ਚਿਤੁ ਚਲੈ ਵਿਤੁ ਜਾਵਣੋ ਸਾਕਤ ਡੋਲਿ ਡੋਲਾਇ ॥

The consciousness of the wicked, faithless cynics wanders around in search of transitory wealth, unstable and distracted.

ਬਾਹਰਿ ਢੂੰਢਿ ਵਿਗੁਚੀਐ ਘਰ ਮਹਿ ਵਸਤੁ ਸੁਥਾਇ ॥

Searching outside of themselves, they are ruined; the object of their search is in that sacred place within the home of the heart.

ਮਨਮੁਖਿ ਹਉਮੈ ਕਰਿ ਮੁਸੀ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪਲੈ ਪਾਇ ॥

The self-willed manmukhs, in their ego, miss it; the Gurmukhs receive it in their laps.

Ive heard people say they love Guru and believe everything contained in Sri Guru Granth Sahib, but if they never care for reading how foolish they are then they are fooling themselves. They know you must beg Guru Sahib to ask Guru Sahib for us to be allowed to be his Sikh but they forfiet it and exchange diamonds and jewels(True Sikhi) for mere glass(Manmat).

GurSikh means Sikh. People that want to not waste their life need to start practice being a sehajdhari and then adopt the complete Sikh way of daily living. People need to discover God within themselves and then understand why Guru Gobind SIngh gave us the hukam of leaving the physical body alone while shaving off the hair of the mind(panj doots).

People need to take on the Godly ways of living and not waste their life in duality.

ਪਾਖੰਡਿ ਭਗਤਿ ਨ ਹੋਵਈ ਦੁਬਿਧਾ ਬੋਲੁ ਖੁਆਰੁ ॥

paakhandd bhagath n hovee dhubidhhaa bol khuaar ||

Hypocrisy is not devotion-speaking words of duality leads only to misery.

ਸਿਰੀਰਾਗੁ ਮਹਲਾ ੩ ॥

SireeRaag Mahala Teeja

ਜਿਨੀ ਇਕ ਮਨਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਇਆ ਗੁਰਮਤੀ ਵੀਚਾਰਿ ॥

Those who meditate single-mindedly on the Naam, and contemplate the Teachings of the Guru

ਤਿਨ ਕੇ ਮੁਖ ਸਦ ਉਜਲੇ ਤਿਤੁ ਸਚੈ ਦਰਬਾਰਿ ॥

-their faces are forever radiant in the Court of the True Lord.

ਓਇ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਪੀਵਹਿ ਸਦਾ ਸਦਾ ਸਚੈ ਨਾਮਿ ਪਿਆਰਿ ॥੧॥

They drink in the Ambrosial Nectar forever and ever, and they love the True Name. ||1||

ਭਾਈ ਰੇ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸਦਾ ਪਤਿ ਹੋਇ ॥

O Siblings of Destiny, the Gurmukhs are honored forever.

ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਸਦਾ ਧਿਆਈਐ ਮਲੁ ਹਉਮੈ ਕਢੈ ਧੋਇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

They meditate forever on the Lord, Har, Har, and they wash off the filth of egotism. ||1||Pause||

ਮਨਮੁਖ ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਜਾਣਨੀ ਵਿਣੁ ਨਾਵੈ ਪਤਿ ਜਾਇ ॥

The self-willed manmukhs do not know the Naam. Without the Name, they lose their honor.

ਸਬਦੈ ਸਾਦੁ ਨ ਆਇਓ ਲਾਗੇ ਦੂਜੈ ਭਾਇ ॥

They do not savor the Taste of the Shabad; they are attached to the love of duality .

ਵਿਸਟਾ ਕੇ ਕੀੜੇ ਪਵਹਿ ਵਿਚਿ ਵਿਸਟਾ ਸੇ ਵਿਸਟਾ ਮਾਹਿ ਸਮਾਇ ॥੨॥

They are worms in the filth of manure. They fall into manure, and into manure they are absorbed. ||2||

ਤਿਨ ਕਾ ਜਨਮੁ ਸਫਲੁ ਹੈ ਜੋ ਚਲਹਿ ਸਤਗੁਰ ਭਾਇ ॥

Fruitful are the lives of those who walk in harmony with the Will of the True Guru.

ਕੁਲੁ ਉਧਾਰਹਿ ਆਪਣਾ ਧੰਨੁ ਜਣੇਦੀ ਮਾਇ ॥

Their families are saved; blessed are the mothers who gave birth to them.

ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਈਐ ਜਿਸ ਨਉ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਕਰੇ ਰਜਾਇ ॥੩॥

By His Will He grants His Grace; those who are so blessed, meditate on the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. ||3||

ਜਿਨੀ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਇਆ ਵਿਚਹੁ ਆਪੁ ਗਵਾਇ ॥

The Gurmukhs meditate on the Naam; they eradicate selfishness and conceit from within.

ਓਇ ਅੰਦਰਹੁ ਬਾਹਰਹੁ ਨਿਰਮਲੇ ਸਚੇ ਸਚਿ ਸਮਾਇ ॥

They are pure, inwardly and outwardly; they merge into the Truest of the True.

ਨਾਨਕ ਆਏ ਸੇ ਪਰਵਾਣੁ ਹਹਿ ਜਿਨ ਗੁਰਮਤੀ ਹਰਿ ਧਿਆਇ ॥

O Nanak, blessed is the coming of those who follow the Guru's Teachings and meditate on the Lord.

(****************edited to put Gurbani in bold**********************)

"What is the most cowardly way that I can consider myself brave".

Instead, why don't you ask the same question we should all ask....How can I become a better sikh(=gursikh) myself. A Sikh is someone who has the humility to do that. There are many beautiful brothers and sisters from all backgrounds and at all stages who approach sikhi with this humility as we speak.

Stop it with the childish games and rants to justify your personal circumstances and practices jgill, you are bringing the quality of discussion on this forum way down.

i know i can fight and die for what i believe in, but from your post it sounds like if someone doesn't practise sikhi to a gursikhs extent your calling them a coward, which is the dumbest thing ive ever heard cause their many gursikhs who would hide from battle and many mona who would die for their ppl

for me a true sikh will die for his ppl and religion, but many don't get the spiritual benifits that others do, i believe everything comes when we are ready but i also believe to be a sikh that you have to be a student of god and constantly growing as a human being, but i don't believe you have to take amrit and go the whole 10 yards to have to be a sikh

but one reason i bring up this topic is cause alot of ppl in the community are fed up and gotton to the point their slapping and knocking guys out who judge, theirs alot of so called gursikhs who go around juding others for cutting their hair or for drinking saying oh your a bad sikh oh your not a sikh at all, which is stupid cause in sikhi its a sin to judge others cause only god can judge ppl for their actions and shows how hypocritical alot of these so called gursikhs our, on top of that for these so called gursikhs who judge others their own friends will do things behind ppl's back including stealing from the gurdwara and they'll turn a blind eye like cowards or they'll talk how great of a sikh ranjit singh was yet ranjit singh himself was not gursikh showing how hypocritical they really are

ppl who tend to judge this is a proven fact are usually have low confident cowards so they try to judge others to make themselves feel better

to me a true gursikh and i know many true gursikhs inspire others to be better sikhs and human beings they don't tell them to be better sikhs and human beings, and they inspire others through their actions

"What is the most cowardly way that I can consider myself brave".

sorry dude im just speaking the truth and im sorry your to weak to handle reality and that would rather hide