Gurudwara Party Halls

WaheGuru Ji Ka Khalsa

WaheGuru Ji Ki Feteh!!!

There are five gurdwaras in Manchester...For all i can confirm is that there are two gurdwara i know that DONT serve meat etc in langar:

These are the Gurdwaras dont Serve Meat In Langar:

1)Central Gurdwara

www.CentralGurdwara.org

2)Gurdwara Shri Guru Harkrishan Sahib Ji

www.gsghks.org.uk --------- this gurdwara is very strict Gurdwara and many AKJ singhs and singhnis come here every diwan, akhand path etc

I am not sure if the other three Gurdwaras Serve Meat etc or not but can somebody confirm this about the other 3 gurdwaras?

We are too distant or have no relationship with some of our local Gurdwaras. This is where the danger lies and where the probablity that some kind of manmat activity could be taking place. It's important that we know about all the Gurdwara's in our locality. I would seriously suggest that you visit these other Gurdwaras and see what happens there. It is because we isolate ourselves to specific Gurdwaras that some committees are able to get away with the abuse of the Guru Ghars which many of us don't attend.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As per the text messages just received and the SKY TV Planner, Sikh Channel will be airing a live discussion programme on the Gurdwara Pary Halls at 8pm tonight (in 15 minutes).

A fairly decent safe diplomatic discussion handled by the prabhandak panel. I suppose it's better handled in the "nice guy" way on TV rather than an aggressive name and shame.

Thankyou to the Sikh Channel for finally airing a discussion show on the issue. Perhaps it can be followed up again in a few months.

A fairly decent safe diplomatic discussion handled by the prabhandak panel. I suppose it's better handled in the "nice guy" way on TV rather than an aggressive name and shame.

Thankyou to the Sikh Channel for finally airing a discussion show on the issue. Perhaps it can be followed up again in a few months.

At last the issue was realised to big enough to be featured on a live Sikh Channel discussion programme. I am glad that the likes of Joga Singh and Amrik Singh gave some comments and that Sikh Channel gave some air space to the issue.

Yeah..the panel were a bit too safe, not wanting to rock the boat by naming or shaming the specific committees. However, as a discussion show all that was done was a loose dialogue around the issue.

The discussion finished in the Sikh Channel formalising a East/West Midlands Gurdwara committee. If anything, there should be NO place for committees from the following 7 midlands Gurdwaras who are responsible for the beadbi...

Ramgharia Sikh Temple

6-9 Graham Street,

Birmingham,

West Midlands

B1 3LA

0121 236 5435

Ramgharia Gurdwara Coventry

1103 Foleshill Road

Coventry CV6 6EP

024 7666 3048

Ramgarhia Gurdwara Leicester

51 Meynell Road

Leicester

LE5 3NE

Tel: 0116 221 6187 (Office)

Ramgarhia Gurdwara

Unitarian Hall

27-29 Waverley Road

Small Heath

Birmingham

B10 OHG

0121 771 0680

Sri Guru Nanak Singh Sabha Gurdwara

118 Wellington Road,

Dudley,

West Midlands

DY1

01384 253 054

Guru Nanak Gurdwara

1 Hadley Park Road,

Hadley,

Telford,

Shropshire

TF1 6PW

01952 411730

GURU RAVIDASS GURDWARA

181 Dudley Road,

Wolverhampton.

WV2 3RD

Telephone: 01902 822 958

It was about time they aired something on the issue. Credit where credit is due.

But they took 2 calls on a live phone in. 1 from Norway and 1 from Amrik Singh Federation!!!!

Sikh channel and its lovely national council need to approach the Gurdwaras with halls. Oh sorry forgot the council is made up of comittees with these halls. At least they wont have to get up off those lovely couches.

I am always bemused by our elders. They love telling stories and tales about their own life. I guess this is what all old people do. Hence no youth and no progress. Our elders including the panelists are all the same. They will bat around the issue. Never get to the point. The panelists just went round in circles.

They kept saying these halls were built when they came over from india like back in the 70's or something. So why are new halls popping up this year?

And good luck trying to teach Gurmat to the sharabi kababi who put all his life savings and time into building a hall 10miles down the road. He has been waiting for you to come along and change his jeevan. He going to tell you where to go.

It was interesting how the panelists came to life at the end of the show. After the presenter brought up the issue of their lovely national council. Suddenly they were urging comittees to come forward and send 1 member each, and how it wont be taken over by any jathebandi, and how important urgent the council is, and we must do this and do that.

Are you sure? They used to but stopped serving meat and sharab in the hall around 2 years ago after pressure from the sangat. Please can you confirm this is still the case.

Thanks

Parties still go on no meat and sharab are there openly as far as I know but I have my doubts it still goes on undercover on the sly we have to keep an eye on this place - very very sly heard the commitee has regular drinking sessions in the hall

WJKK WJKF

The new Gurdwara in Leamington is also having issues.

they are likely to use the old Gurdwara site (down the rd) as a hall for weddings.

Initially this will be veggie only events (so that everyone agrees) but will not stop families who want to book the hall to bring in meat and alcohol.

For all the beauty of the building its useless if there's no Sikhi within it.

Also there is currently a court case happening between committee members who are arguing over this issue.

As per usual the main arguments are: -

= Its down the road, not in the Gurdwara complex

= The committee members that paid substantial funds towards the building feel that they have the right to do whatever thjey want.

= The local sangat want it, so what the problem

However, there are some Local elder Singhs that are clued up and have proper pyaar for Sikhi.

But I still think it'll be down to the young local sangat to do what they can to stop this issue even getting to the stage that other Gurudwarae are at.

WJKK WJKF

• 1 month later...

WJKK WJKF

I would like to clairfy that the following Gurdwara is not funded by the Telford Cultural Community Centre.

Guru Nanak Gurdwara

1 Hadley Park Road,

Hadley,

Telford,

Shropshire

TF1 6PW

01952 411730

We have been part of the sangat at this Gurdwara for the past 20 years. The Telford Cultural Community Centre was largely funded (if not wholly) by the Sikh Community in Telford. Part of the funding was a local government grant. The Sikh Community therefore adopted the community centre as it's own, however it's original conception was to serve ALL minority communities in Telford.

For many years the Guru Nanak Gurdwara was mentioned on the signage for the Community Centre - "part of the Guru Nanak Gurdwara Telford". This association was removed about 5 years ago, and has no connection to the Gurdwara itself and I believe was just a symbolic reference to the Sikh Community raising the funds. I can not confirm if during this period any profits from the Community Centre were ever redirected towards the Gurdwara. However, I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt and say no. It was always a community funded project, and I am quite positive any profits could only be redirected back into the Community Centre itself - like I said, I'm unable to confirm this.

Therefore - can you please remove the Guru Nanak Gurdwara Telford from your list please - as this association hasn't been the case for a while now.

WJKK WJKF