Sikh Tv Calls For Unity Amongst Sikh Channels

Southall Youth

Sikh TV has called for unity amongst other Sikh television broadcasters to work together in a move to prevent channels continuously running appeals pledging for money.Sikh TV told BizAsia.co.uk that the reason behind this imitative was mainly to let it know that there are other broadcasters (like itself) offering similar services, which are not "harassing money from the public". It is not clear as to why else Sikh TV would want to financially support a rival channel.

Sikh TV, which launched in November last year has been broadcasting free-to-air without any public donations. Sangat TV too has been running independently. Sikh Channel, which has been on-air for nearly two years has been pledging for donations from viewers on a regular basis.

Yesterday, Sikh Channel gave viewers until the end of this month to meet its financial target with donations, otherwise it could face closure. In response to this, Sikh TV came forward today to support Sikh Channel by raising money to keep the long-running broadcaster on-air and prevent the harassment of money from the public on such an emotional level.

Sikh Channel welcomed the move by Sikh TV and was surprised when given the news. A spokesperson said, "What are they collecting donations on behalf of Sikh Channel to give to Sikh Channel? Excellent."

It's not the first time Sikh Channel has asked for donation funding. Last year Ofcom had investigated its appeals and cleared it of any improper use.

Whether Sikh Channel and Sangat TV will come together is another matter. Keep it with BizAsia.co.uk for more developments.

Shame on UK Sikhs - 60% of them don't care 1 bit about the Khalsa Panth,future of Sikhi or the state of our community as long as they have a roof over their heads a nice car and tv they don't give a damn,not surprsing since the majority are lost and are not bothered about Sikhi,parents including children.Mark my words when their families are beaten or even killed back in Panjab then maybe just maybe they will start to care about the panth and the state it is in,right about now they don't care ,- even forgot the genocide of the last 25 yrs.Only those with PANTHIC DARDH support Sikh TV Channels and radio stations the rest have no Panthic Dardh and are ungreatful.

Perhaps 6 months ago I would have never said this, but if we loose the Sikh Channel we loose a topical voice for Sikhs. The live studio show format of Sikh Channel is a potential asset to the kaum and we have still not used it to it's full capacity.

I must confess, when speaking to Davy Bal he threw the ball back in our court. If more articulate naujwaan are willing to put themselves forward on the Sikh Channel live show discussions than we can break the monopoly of the same old skool/stage secretary voices. We still find naujwaan too shy or not committed enough to talk about Panthic issues.

Sangat TV and Sikh TV are still not up to scratch with panthic discussion programmes and that's the niche Sikh Channel hold over them. We must not let the Sikh Channel close!

Agree. Sikh Channel was excellent in breaking news about Ludhiana Kaand and the recent Kaand in Pind Bhikhi/Sant Baba Baljit Singh Ji Dadu Sahib Wale's arrest. It presents Panthic news very well.

There's some way for it to go before it is truly Panthic, but it took a tentative step forward with the show it permitted explaining Dasam Granth/Dasam Bani which it aired live on Sunday evening - personally, I found it an extremely inspiring show. If it carries on like this, it will gain the confidence of the youth.

For all the reasons already discussed, the Sikh Channel has gone above and beyond all my expectations. The good thing is that there is so much more room for growth. In order to meet this potential they will need more money. At the moment they have budgeted for an annual cost of £600,000 which they are struggling to hit. If the Sikh Channel is to hit its true potentail and hopefully go worldwide (including India!) they will need a budget in the millions.

In light of all the successes of the Sikh Channel and its current and future seva to the panth, I urge all Sikhs to set up a monthly direct debit. I myself currently give £25 per month and I dont think this is a hugely unrealistic amount to give.

Sikh Channel is easily the best of the three. The live discussions on issues happening now are invaluable.

If the Channel is so strapped for cash then why is it expanding its base in the Midlands to aquire offices in London?

Why use money on expansion when you do not have enough money to cover the running costs ?

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

With Wahegurus Kirpa and the support from all Viewers, Sikh Channel has been able to broadcast the Worlds first Panthic Sikh TV Media. However we are lacking support.

We have been asking for youth to come forward, and give ideas for new shows, but so far we have lacked this. Any youth interested or have any ideas please PM on SikhSangat.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

WJKK WJKF

Very sad to see such a situation, maybe collaborating with one of the other channels isn't such as bad idea. As for ideas I see nothing on any of the three channels covering the following:

1. Sport- wrestling, kabaadi etc. there is a whole host of this going on in Punjab and overseas. Guru Angad dev Jee introduced wrestling, perhaps covering the shinj/tournament from Kadoor sahib on a regualer basis.

2. Sport up and down the country, most Gurdwaras cover Gatka , where is the coverage of this on any of the channels, apart from a few flash gatka shows from Punjab, we've had zilch.

3. Shows/discussions on differences of Panjabi and Sikh culture, along the lines two atrract and detract.

4. Youth have serious issue such as drugs/gangstar/crime in the UK we, haven't a single insitution in the UK which deals with such issues, perhaps sikh channel can make the sangat aware??

5. Panth time program is great, we seriously need a youth time program , as the youth contribution is not the same as our old uncles whehther for seva or chaudar in a Gurdwara..Where youth are successful - i.e hitichin, bedfordshire, how was it over come.

6. Programs on the election system in our Gurdwara baseed on the Gora system is it correct to have such a system in a Gurdwar, and what has it produced apart from separate divide and rule agendas within all Gurdwaras, we are our own worse enemy.

I hope some of these are taken on board as I'm sure there is a Panjab tv coming on the air soon which will also cover the bhangra gigs type stuff and including sport, wouldn't it make sense for a Sikh Channell to adopt this type of programming rather a cutural punjabi channel.

How sad we had Channel Punjab, and some of their programming was excellent, it also failed a few years back now a Sikh channel, about to fail - un believable are we just a joke???

Personally, I want Sikh Channel and Sikh TV to stay independent but not see each other as rivals. When mergers happen, one side feels that they have lost more control than the other etc and negative sentiments build up.

Finally, with regards to the Sikh Channel financial issue, I think they shouldnt have expanded outside of midlands (to London) if it was not financially viable. Why jump when you cannot walk yet. Chaddar dekh ke pair pasarne chahide as they say.

Otherwise, Sikh channel is great but they need more presenters for their talk shows.

Can the Sikh Channel maybe organise some collections at Gurdwaras? I have seen thousands raised for earthquake, flood appeals in a matter of minutes at Gurdwaras. There seems some reluctance to use Direct debits and electronic transfers, many of the older generation like to give cash. Unforntunately many of our proffesionals who would use modern banking and have the most money are disconnected from Panthic initiatives.