Why Are Sikhs Leaving Sikhism?

Big_Tera

Guest Jacfsing2

My Dad took 'aap japo avra naam japavo' literally and he would encourage all and sundry to do naam jap ...in fact that is what my best friend remembers most about him , that one meeting and his earnest encouragement ...guess what ? she does naam jap when stressed and she has also become my support when I am low to remember naam ...and she is Caribbean Christian.... in front at his bhog that is what everyone remembered that he wanted everyone to enjoy naam . That was the last sentence he advised me in life 'chinta na kar , bus naam japia kar te sabh kuch teek hoga'

Sikhi is love ...love is acceptance... acceptance is unconditional ... so we have to learn to truly go beyond the covers of colour , race, creed and see the jot in all by embracing them warts and all and give them acceptance and love by sharing Guru ji's love/gurbani

Very inspirational! ??

I've seen loads over decades now, and they are still Muslims. So I know from direct experience that what you are saying is wrong.

Let's be frank, religion is only declining amongst whites in western Europe (and with some ethnics who live amongst and ape them with their secularist ways) - not elsewhere.

muslims can't leave so they could be nominal only

We are not taught history, Gurbani, maryada from a young age.

Sometimes we do not know about authentic history books, right explanations or translations either and this causes confusion.

Whatever preachers say is not always understood by younger listeners even if they belong to Punjab and know Punjabi. Preachers need to give context in what they are explaining and need to give us idea of what we as Sikhs are supposed to do, or not supposed to do.

Younger generation also gets confused because we often do not practise what is preached. Our parents, uncles, aunts, grandparents etc often themselves do things which are not in Sikhi. Or they have no replies on questions which youngsters ask. This is why younger ones often get disillusioned and think religion is a sham.

We have less uniformity. Some are Amritdhari, some are moneh etc so one doesn't always know what to do. We see people follow faith as per their convenience. So we lack clear idea of what faith is all about.

Some have flimsy reason of kesh to leave Sikhi. They don't get the idea of keeping unshorn hair and just due to that they want to leave Sikhi!

Rest of things like clashes in Gurudwaras, arguments over maryada, beadbi, politics etc just confuse them further.

I think Muslims also have many problems but they do not let those issues make them give up faith the way Sikhs do. Strong faith should be inculcated from a young age. Few Sikh families make solid effort to educate kids on Sikhi on priority. Some have even stopped visiting Gurudwaras on Gurpurab and it is just another holiday for them.

That's not what I've seen. A lot of them love the insularity and sense of community. You need to get your head around it, some of them love the lifestyle and sense of belonging. Not everyone is forced.

There is a theory called the "oil droplet theory" which explains how muslim communities operate in non-muslim societies.

Since oil and water does not mix. The moderates are the outer layer which ensures that Islamic core remains unaffected.

Thankfully In the west, Sikhism is actually on the increase. A recently survey in the UK has concluded those who identify themselves as Christians and Jews is declining year on year however atheism is rising as is Islam, hinduism and Sikhism.

The problem Sikhism faces is the rise of passive/casual atheism within the community. And as we can see with the decline of strict religious observance and reverence in society is bringing in an increase in violent crime, radicalised disillusioned youths rejecting hedonstic western capitalism, increase in sexual crimes, rise in sexual transmitted diseases, social disunity and huge increase in family breakups.

When there is a higher power like God to worship and be in fear of or awe of it then humans tend to on large behave themselves but when they become atheists they only fear those who wield the biggest stick (ie those who use force) so they either are conrolled by violent criminals or more often or not they are controlled by governments who physically enforce their rule by its police or armed forces.

How do you force unruly people to behave in a civilised and moralistic manor? Either religion or enforcement by physical violence by the state. Good religious ideology is the best tool to control society in a socially cohesive fashion. And this is one of the best reasons why Sikhism needs to be spread rather than atheism or any other ideology because the alternative is not viable for the human condition even if a person is a casually indulges in atheism now and then.

That's not what I've seen. A lot of them love the insularity and sense of community. You need to get your head around it, some of them love the lifestyle and sense of belonging. Not everyone is forced.

depends who you meet with ...they are as diverse as the number of cultures and countries they originate from , but many girls are realising sikh girls have it better and want freedom . A lot of the new sikhs are from this group of muslimahs . But what I was saying was that there is a deterrent of immediate fatwa of death for apostacy which if in insular situations most likely will be carried out. Sure I have met kattar muslimahs who could be very pro-taliban pro-ISIS in outlook but I seen more of a gentle sufi like islamic take

Thankfully In the west, Sikhism is actually on the increase. A recently survey in the UK has concluded those who identify themselves as Christians and Jews is declining year on year however atheism is rising as is Islam, hinduism and Sikhism.

The problem Sikhism faces is the rise of passive/casual atheism within the community. And as we can see with the decline of strict religious observance and reverence in society is bringing in an increase in violent crime, radicalised disillusioned youths rejecting hedonstic western capitalism, increase in sexual crimes, rise in sexual transmitted diseases, social disunity and huge increase in family breakups.

When there is a higher power like God to worship and be in fear of or awe of it then humans tend to on large behave themselves but when they become atheists they only fear those who wield the biggest stick (ie those who use force) so they either are conrolled by violent criminals or more often or not they are controlled by governments who physically enforce their rule by its police or armed forces.

How do you force unruly people to behave in a civilised and moralistic manor? Either religion or enforcement by physical violence by the state. Good religious ideology is the best tool to control society in a socially cohesive fashion. And this is one of the best reasons why Sikhism needs to be spread rather than atheism or any other ideology because the alternative is not viable for the human condition even if a person is a casually indulges in atheism now and then.

I do not think what you have said is necessarily true. For example there are many 3rd world countries that are quite religious but they are controlled by rule of danda.

Some of the more atheistic/secular countries can be far more orderly and there is a respect for the rule of law generally.

Guest Jacfsing2

I do not think what you have said is necessarily true. For example there are many 3rd world countries that are quite religious but they are controlled by rule of danda.

Some of the more atheistic/secular countries can be far more orderly and there is a respect for the rule of law generally.

If poor countries are more religious, then why would America be considered as the most evangelical center in the western hemisphere, (including all those South American nations)?

If poor countries are more religious, then why would America be considered as the most evangelical center in the western hemisphere, (including all those South American nations)?

I think the U.S. is a bit of anomaly.

U.S. is founded on religious refugees such as puritans, quakers,baptists etc from the 1600s and 1700s.

I think this has made quite a serious impact on the American psyche.