Will It Work??

23 members have voted

1. 1. Will It Work??

• Yes, It could
    • No, Not a good idea
    • Unsure

Guest SikhForLife

i agree with you to some extent.. but i don think we should blindly do what older people have done "traditionally"

dont get me wrong i think alll the families should come to gw and cook. but i am talkin about somthin else here

like old ppl say women cant do seva.. its been like that for so many years.. but we know sikhi doesnt support that.. so we have to explore and find out the real truth in sikhism..

old people.. (no offense) are backwards.. their thinking is sexist

vjkk vjkf

i hope i didnt offend anyone

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D )

Veerjee....

jepp u r rite....

therefore we have got something called the decision of the Guru Khalsa Panth.....

if about a week...there was a Sarbat Khalsa gathering held at Sri Amritsar Sahib, where Panthic issues are discussed and views (based 'real true' Sikhi) are presented and that our whole community agrees that:

(i) Women can also do seva [which i think already is suggested by Panthic Organizations and Panthic leaders...it is just the 'sevadaars' at Darbar Sahib who are not following the rules set by SGPC and Akal Takht...and THEY should be questioned...secondly, a meeting was held to discuss this issue for 2-3 months ago AND SGPC has not given any info abuot what-so-ever about what was decieded there.. B) ]

(ii) that at local Gurdwaras, like at places where the Sikh community is small and by "sharing the home-made food" Sikhs get closer to each other and kids learn to indulge in community stuff...AND the Rehit is followed that NO HOME WHERE alcohol, smoking, abuse, so on is done shall participate in the event....if so; Khalsa Panth as whole says it is okey...

if that is the matter;

yepp i will say it is OKEY that Nanaksar Gurdwara wale can do it....

because the community as a whole has decieded that it is not a Kurehit (undisicplined act).... :T:

so really IN ALL such matters....whether the Gurdwara has 50 or 50 000 members..they should contact Sri Akal Takht which is as i said nothing else but a representetive of Khalsa Panth.....and they should get permission in all "new" matters that might be something new to the rehit.....this would avoid the making of cults...and panthic disunity... wubb.gif hope u get that i am not against the act of doing it....just that if it is accepted by Khalsa Panth as a "good thing to do" it is totaly fine with me!

:nihungsmile:

vaaheguru ji ka khalsa vaaheguru ji ki fateh

For some reason I think the sangat on this forum is more willing to follow their own matt instead of that of Guru - Gurmat. Why is it that we never think of what comes from our Rehit? Are the Rehitnaamas/Tankhaahnaamas not important?

Here is something which daas posted on another forum:

Author: Son of Guru Gobind Singh Ji

Date:  06-03-03 01:24

Reality check ji, MKhalsa was clearly giving an example.

Here's what Bhai Sahib Desa Singh Ji had to say about ppl who don't keep rehit:

Rehit Rehit Reh Jae Bikara. REHIT DHARAM SINGHAN KO SARA.

Rehit Binaa Sadgat Neh Hoe. Rehit Binaa Bhal Kahey Na Koe.

Rehit Binaa Neh Singh Kahavey. Rehit Binaa Dar Chota Khave.

Rehit Binaa Jag So Bharmae. Rehit Binaa Nar Narke Jae.

REHIT BINAA TANKHAE JANO. Rehit Binaa Jarr Bhoot Bakhano.

Rehit Binaa Sukh Kabho Na Lahey. TA TE REHIT SU DRIRR KAR GAHEY.

So should we accept food SERVED by those who don't keep rehit?

And what will our Guru Sahib's response be towards those who have rejected Guru Sahib's hukam and have become Tankhaiya?

Just wondering! I have only put in quotes from a Rehitnama of Bhai Desa Singh ji and have not given my personal opinion.

vaaheguru ji ka khalsa vaaheg

uru ji ki fateh

waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh

:D The reason i started the topic was because in our gurdwara sahib Men make the Sabji and then women go in the kitchen and prepare parshades. Kids are no where to be seen and only come when the langar is served.

1) What if sangat ran out of food while serving ? (Ppls like me eat a lot.. ) Are they gonna run back to their homes and prepare?
I think i forgot to mention that People could just bring Parshadas from home and Dall sabji would be made in gurdwara so if u do run out of Parshadas you can always make some at the gurdwara.
2) What about guest sangats during weekdays? Langar Purpose is to serve sangat anytime (24/7).. So r ppls gonna come to gurdwara to serve just one or two guests sangat?

Well i can't say anything about that cos Over here Gurdwaras are only open on Sunday :D

3) No home Utensils are that clean.. (Home like mine are not the correct place to prepare langar, even though we never had meat inside.. but still it's not a place to prepare guru ka langar.

I don't think Guru ji wants Langar to be prepared with new utensils everytime? If Langar is prepared with Love and Devotion then Guru ji would accept the langar on them Trays made out of dried leaves.

4) Langar connects with sangat.. Sangat get together and make langar.. Someone wants to do sewa.. he/she is most welcome.. So why Home?
Does everyone make langar ? If Parshadas were made by evryone then virtually every member of the gurdwara would get to do seva.
Langar is there to kill our hunger (yeah that quiet growl voice inside u) before sangat go and pray to waheguru.. Now days we see sangat comes and sit in diwan hall for couple of mins and then take langar and then off to the road.. In old times.. Sangat first used to eat langar before heading toward Diwan hall.. (?).. SO concept of langar is changing, and i think for the best interest.. we should follow the old ways..

How will this be effected since Langar will still be served the same way.

:D ) Okey.. jeee.. now i have to see the other way around..

Why sangat wants to bring the langar from home, when they have kitchen in gurdwara sahib and they have chance to do sewa ?

I think it's really good topic to explore the new subjects... :St:

The reason i started the topic was because in our gurdwara sahib Men make the Sabji and then women go in the kitchen and prepare parshades. Kids are no where to be seen and only come when the langar is served.

That's true veerjee.. I think that's very common thing to see around.. But What can be done? This should be taught @ camps (maybe Simran bhanjee notice this..).. Once u show them how to do sewa.. they will do sewa.. It's just a lil work to break the ice.. Just show them how to do sewa of preparing langar and then it's on them whether they want to do or not...

Please know that on this forum i really admire people like SOGGS, MKhalsa, Vickey singh, Deep Singh who do a lot of Seva and are blessed with the company of true gursikhs in their town. My problem is that In my little town and possibly in UK we are facing problems in the Gurdwaras. One thing i noticed is since the Introduction of Tables and Chairs Gurdwara Sahibs have become Hotels. Why?

The reason is that Most people Come to the Gurdwara late, half an hour before the Langar and then as soon as the Ardas is said they are sitting on the chairs, along with their kids.

Following the Tradition is a good thing but times have changed and we have to change as well.

i am the kind of person who always says 'Stict to the tradition!' 'never do anything in new way' 'do it just like folks before us did' SURE that will make it a ritual and like that is not the way Sikhi is.....
Veer ji at that time, Kuriyans weren't running away from home. Sikh guys weren't Cutting their hair for fashion. Sikh men weren't Getting drunken senseless. Sikh women weren't busy watching Zee Tv instead they were teaching their kids about sikhi.

Now i will put forward two scenarios, and u decide which wud Guru ji agree to

Scenario 1 : Parshadas are being made in the Gurdwara kitchen by10 women, few girls.

Scenario 2: Gurdwara commetiee has asked people to bring parsahadas from home and

asked the whole family to help in the preperation of the parshadas. One sunday morning a sikh family wakes up. Everyone takes turn and has a bath and gets ready. They all go into the kitchen and the kitchen is cleaned by the family members. Then the PArshadas are prepared.

Maybe i am trying to paint a picture of what i would like to see happening in a sikh household. But when i get married and have kids, i am taking them all in the kitchen to make the dinner together and eat it together. :D

So should we accept food SERVED by those who don't keep rehit?

So don't Amritdharis eat food made by non sikhs or by mona sikhs?

I found this wonderful article off the AKJ site..perhaps this will help:Would appreciate my dear brothers and sisters to comment..I've copied/pasted the points I thought would help most..

It is an established truth that the food one eats does not only affect the body's health but also influences one 5 mind and thinking. That is why Sahib Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji has forbidden eating food which makes the body writhe in pain and fill the mind with evil. That is why he refused to accept the most nourishing and dainty dishes prepared in the house of Malik Bhago but preferred the simple dry food prepared by the so called low-caste carpenter, Bhai Lalo. Similarly, Sahib Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji refused to drink water brought by a young man who had never done any service to anyone in his life. Thus, in the Gursikh way of life it is not only the nutrient value of the food that matters but, more importantly, who has prepared it and who serves it. Guru-Ka-Langar, whether prepared in the Gurdwara or in the household of a Sikh can be called Guru-Ka-Langar only if it is prepared by Guru-Ke-Sikhs. This may be the one reason why Sahib Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji asked the recipients of the holy Amrit to share food among themselves in the same plate, but forbade them to do so with non-Amritdharis.

Even in the Langar premises of Sri Harimandir Sahib (Golden Temple) at Amritsar, a notice painted in bold letters in Punjabi, hangs prominently near the kitchen stating that the "SEWA OF THE PREPARATION OF LANGAR BE DONE BY THE AMRITDHARI SIKHS - MEN AND WOMEN. NON-AMRITDHARIS MAY DO THE SEWA OF CLEANING OF UTENSILS, KITCHEN, HALL, ETC."