Where Are Our Disabled Sikh Children?

Guest autismmum

Yes the Sikh Helpline is a good one to try. Also is there anyone at the gurdwara you can approach for support? Could you speak to your doctor/GP about services available near to you to help families with autistic children, even if they're not Sikh they might be able to help in some way.

Please don't blame yourself, our culture tends to blame women for most situations and people tend to look down on anyone who doesn't meet the norms of what these people think is acceptable or normal. My dad left when I was very young and that was an excuse for people to look down on us. Its sad that it happens, but keep your faith in our Gurus and Waheguruji,

• 1 year later...

hi there im also a parent of an autistic son, we have always visited Gurdwara in west midlands, and im afraid to say my experience is much the same.

we either get pitty looks , I have been told to ask him to stop humming or go to the langar hall, it really sad to the point I begun to explore other faith groups.

there is no counselling of support offered at Sikh Gurdwara for such issues, its very lonely

hi there im also a parent of an autistic son, we have always visited Gurdwara in west midlands, and im afraid to say my experience is much the same.

we either get pitty looks , I have been told to ask him to stop humming or go to the langar hall, it really sad to the point I begun to explore other faith groups.

there is no counselling of support offered at Sikh Gurdwara for such issues, its very lonely

Find new Gurdwaras and make public announcements with Sikh media orgs about specific Gurdwaras.

You should request to be interviewed and highlight the places this happens at. Best of luck

Good advice by Singh559 Paji. Go to a different Gurdwara. But you should also highlight your experience to the Gurdwara committee where you had the bad experience. It maybe that the person that asked your son to go to the langar hall may not have known of your son's disability and was probably thinking he/she is doing the right thing.

So it's up to you to make them aware of any discrimination you have experienced, then let's see what they do.

Nanaksar Isher Thath Gurdwara, Wolverhampton is welcoming to disabled children and adults. They had a programme on Include Me Too on Sikh Channel, last year.

Most Gurdwaras I've been to in West Midlands are welcoming, so I'm sorry to hear about the experience you have at the Gurdwara you have mentioned.

An organisation that you could contact for advise: Include Me Too. Penji Parmi does a great job in raising awareness of disabled children's equality, within communities.

https://m.facebook.com/IMTOO/

http://www.includemetoo.org.uk

Don't be put off by some people from one Gurdwara, Sikhi is all about equality.

You may pm me if there is anything I can help you with.

Alot of people are closed minded amd unfortunately society today with all of its competition and bshite image rubbish doesn't really have a place for disabled folk.

It's up to you parents to bring your kids out, get them living and enjoying their lives as much as possible and letting them.be around spirituality.

I have seen people who are not mentally stable light up and become immediately sharper when around good sangat and spirituality and so I can say that it makes a difference.

Why not try and get together and organise gurdwarra programmes and activities for your kids and family members. I'm sure would be people who would want to help and do their seva.

Alot of people are closed minded amd unfortunately society today with all of its competition and bshite image rubbish doesn't really have a place for disabled folk.

It's up to you parents to bring your kids out, get them living and enjoying their lives as much as possible and letting them.be around spirituality.

I have seen people who are not mentally stable light up and become immediately sharper when around good sangat and spirituality and so I can say that it makes a difference.

Why not try and get together and organise gurdwarra programmes and activities for your kids and family members. I'm sure would be people who would want to help and do their seva.

✔️ Like.

Stop humming? That's disgraceful. What about those besharam bibiya who natter at the top of their voices in darbar Sahib?

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest Anonymous kitsune

I’m a teenager. I used to have a linguistic issues at nursery for English well now it’s fix. Obviously there can be relapse which is for punjabi. I explained my struggle to my parent who says that it doesn’t exist but to me is. In punjabi school, I do add effort so much into my work to be average but the teacher felt i wasn’t putting effort since my score was low and it was always biased to that. In many of the gurdwara and tv channels, there are adults who says it is important to learn Gurmukhi because guru Nanak created it, it is part of Sikhism life. To me, it felt I’m not good at gurmukhi means I’m not religious or close to God. I felt I’m just an embarrassment to my parents as younger kids know punjabi than me even though I have been to punjabi school longer . But now my parents understands and I do not go to punjabi school due to fears of judgement and I felt lonely in the entire situation even though I was kid who struggle to express my issue until now. The only thing I just want is that people can understand in the community and wish other people out there like me can just say their issue in Sikh community out there because it’s rarely heard. So if there is aunt ji in gurdwara who will be like u should go to punjabi school just like other kids. It felt like they are trying insult my mother teaching. She did nothing wrong instead adjusting my flaws which a mum should do.  ✌?>~<