Wearing Red Clothes

Dude, you need to get out of your old box: India.

Quit the psycho-Hindu mentality.

I bet if there was a tuk regarding not wearing green,

I bet you'd be the first to say "Oh, green is for Islam, let's not wear it"...

So, in simple words, accept to the learn the facts, rather than making your own maryada.

NO , Infact I would have said green is color of nature , just like blue is beautiful color of sky and ocean .

Some eye doctors say focusing daily on green color helps in eye sight . Green is color of prosperity . Why associate it with Islam ?

WJKK WJKF

Thanx to all for your replies.

According to my research, after meeting a number of Gursikhs,

1. Each colour has its own effetcts. Like it is well known that a newly born child is never covered with yellow cloth becaus it can lead to 'Pilia'

2. Red Colour is also known for arrogancy according to Psychology. it may cause arrogancy in us.

3. It is also well known advise as well as command from Guru Sahib to wear simple clothes. Never wear shiny clothes. Red colour can never be a simple one.

4. Red as a symbol of Hindus and green of Muslims as Mohkam Singh Ji told.

5. Bandai Khalsa Sikhs formed after Baba Banda Singh Bahadur, started wearing red clothes and this was also a reason for fragmentation between Sikhs. It was considered as Manmat.

It can be taken as historical reference that Puratan Singhs never wore red clothes.

ਤੁਮ ਫਤੇ ਦਰਸ਼ਨ ਕੀ, ਹਮ ਫਤੇ ਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਕਹੈ||

ਤੁਮ ਬਿਸਨੋਈ, ਹਮ ਚਾਰ ਬਰਨ ਰਹੈ||

ਤੁਮ ਸੂਹੋ ਪਹਰੋ, ਹਮ ਲਾਵੈ ਨਾ ਅੰਗ||

ਹਮ ਪਹਰੇ ਸੁਰਮਈ, ਤੁਮ ਪਹਰੋ ਸੰਗ||

(ਪ੍ਰਾਚੀਨ ਪੰਥ ਪ੍ਰਕਾਸ਼)

6. I read in Saada Itihaas Part2- Principal Satbir Singh ਖਾਲਸੇ ਲਾਲ ਰੰਗ ਨੂ ਸ਼ੋਖ ਸਮਝ ਕੇ ਛਡ ਗਏ ਸਨ ਤੇ ਸੁਰਮਈ ਨੀਲੇ ਪਹਿਨਦੇ ਸਨ.

7. All the traditional Sampardaas like Nihang Singhs, DDT, Seva Panthi, Jaula, etc condemn wearing red clothes.

8. It is really true when we see someone with red clothes we get no feeling of prem.

Also, special thanks to Amarjodh Singh Ji for giving the Shabad.

Any mistake done or further reasons are welcome.

Thankyou

Amanpreet Singh

Good grief. Our forefathers walked away from mindless rituals and superstition and embraced a faith with no superstition and rituals. And now here's us ; their offspring....now believing in even more uneducated superstition and indulging in even more rituals than the religion our forefathers left. Our religion is the most scientific and modern on earth.......and yet our mentality is the most backward and uneducated.

Red as a symbol of Hindus

If there is a Hindu colour it is saffron (kesri). We seem to love wearing that holy hindu colour.

Each colour has its own effetcts. Like it is well known that a newly born child is never covered with yellow cloth becaus it can lead to 'Pilia'

I have 2 children. Both of them, when they were born, had cribs with yellow bunting, and blanket (from toys r us). If I have another child tomorrow I promise I will wrap that child in a yellow blankey too the moment it is born. I'm a sikh....not a hindu. If I'm going to suffer from mindless superstition than I might as well stop being a Sikh.

All the traditional Sampardaas like Nihang Singhs, DDT, Seva Panthi, Jaula, etc condemn wearing red clothes

Read any western eye witness account of the Sikhs during the Sikh Kingdom day. Whether the account is written by a Frenchman, a Persian, a German or an Englandian the one thing they all have in common is that they state categorically that the Sikhs are to a man dressed in blue. Blue is the colour of the sikhs. The accounts all mention how you will never see a Sikh wearing saffron / orange (kesri) because it is the colour of the hindus. Now....apparently saffron (kesri) is a good thing. Now.....the colour that my sikh forefathers shunned is the flavour of the day. In this upside down world we live in today things have been turned on thier head. Today, it is Sikhs that will leave Sikhism and embrace Hinduism claiming it is because there are too many rituals and silly superstitious beliefs in Sikhism.

Blue is the colour of the sikhs. The accounts all mention how you will never see a Sikh wearing saffron / orange (kesri) because it is the colour of the hindus. Now....apparently saffron (kesri) is a good thing. Now.....the colour that my sikh forefathers shunned is the flavour of the day. In this upside down world we live in today things have been turned on thier head. Today, it is Sikhs that will leave Sikhism and embrace Hinduism claiming it is because there are too many rituals and silly superstitious beliefs in Sikhism.

I always wondered why saffron is a sacred color in sikhism . Our nishan sahib is kesri , When bibis go to gurdwara they will wrap in saffron chuniyan over their head , but never by mistake use white . They are always afraid that someone may call them muslims if they use white chunni .

Secondly , Siropa is kesri and bana is kesri . Kesri has become more important than blue . God knows where it came from !

Good grief. Our forefathers walked away from mindless rituals and superstition and embraced a faith with no superstition and rituals. And now here's us ; their offspring....now believing in even more uneducated superstition and indulging in even more rituals than the religion our forefathers left. Our religion is the most scientific and modern on earth.......and yet our mentality is the most backward and uneducated.

If there is a Hindu colour it is saffron (kesri). We seem to love wearing that holy hindu colour.

I have 2 children. Both of them, when they were born, had cribs with yellow bunting, and blanket (from toys r us). If I have another child tomorrow I promise I will wrap that child in a yellow blankey too the moment it is born. I'm a sikh....not a hindu. If I'm going to suffer from mindless superstition than I might as well stop being a Sikh.

Read any western eye witness account of the Sikhs during the Sikh Kingdom day. Whether the account is written by a Frenchman, a Persian, a German or an Englandian the one thing they all have in common is that they state categorically that the Sikhs are to a man dressed in blue. Blue is the colour of the sikhs. The accounts all mention how you will never see a Sikh wearing saffron / orange (kesri) because it is the colour of the hindus. Now....apparently saffron (kesri) is a good thing. Now.....the colour that my sikh forefathers shunned is the flavour of the day. In this upside down world we live in today things have been turned on thier head. Today, it is Sikhs that will leave Sikhism and embrace Hinduism claiming it is because there are too many rituals and silly superstitious beliefs in Sikhism.

Actually saffron isn't a color of the Khalsa like you said, it was yellow (saroun/saag flower color), blue and white.

For a Sikh this is the uniform of the Khalsa, the reason Sikhs were told not to wear red was becaues hidu armies wore it. If the USA soldier uniform consists of wearing red white and blue, you won't see an enemy wearing the same colors.

sgl ik®Aw mih aUqm ikirAw ]

sagal kiraaa mehi ootham kiriaa ||

Of all religious rituals, the most sublime ritual

swDsMig durmiq mlu ihirAw ]

saadhhasa(n)g dhuramath mal hiriaa ||

is to erase the filth of the dirty mind in the Company of the Holy

• 2 weeks later...

sUhvIey sUhw vysu Cif qU qw ipr lgI ipAwru ]

soohaveeeae soohaa vaes shhadd thoo thaa pir lagee piaar ||

O red-robed woman, discard your red dress, and then, you shall come to love your Husband Lord.

Don't brides dress in red on their wedding day? I think that is what the shabad by Guru Arjan was referring to. Don't marry yourself to this physical world. Instead, become a bride of Waheguru. The bride of God is a common reference, starting with Guru Nanak who drew from Sufi poetry. Also referred to as "Husband-Lord".

Red is also nit worn because it is a sign of royalty.

Green is an islamic colour. However. In guru gobind singh ji maharaj times. Guru ji wore green and hated the colour blue. Because blue was the islamic colour. Look at the pics of guru ji at hajoor sahib. Guru ji is wearing green.

I have no clue why now nihangs wear blue when maharaj hated that colour. If someone knows. Could u please share it with us.