Asian/Black Sikhs

Akaali

Guest SikhForLife

i agree 110% with Gupt Fauj..

i dont think we should be wasting time doing yoga when other important things shuold be done..

if u want a exercise then go for a run.. dont sit there and breathe.. strenous exercises are better for the brain and body.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to a goree sikh marriage this weekend.It was amazing with *NO* rituals and simple marriage with anad karaj.I met one of the sikh shown in the pics above there.He is from singapore or malasiya andd was looking amazing in his bana.In marriage there were goree sikhs doing kirtan and it was amazing.They are so much into learning and doing things in sikh way.Almost all of umm know tabla and harmonium and they do amazing kirtan.I think instead of neglecting them because they folow yoga we shud teach them or tell them the real sikhi and beleive me they are amazing sikhs who respect guru sahibans like anything.

Please do not neglect them...but accept them and work together for improvements.Like we all are working on improving the punjabi sikhs.

Just a humble request.

Sat Sri Akal:

"I think instead of neglecting them because they folow yoga we shud teach them or tell them the real sikhi and beleive me they are amazing sikhs who respect guru sahibans like anything."

I think you have it backwards. They should be teaching Indian Sikhs how to be Sikhs!!!

Look, it is no secret that the majority of the Western Sikhs were introduced to Sikhism by Yogi Harbhajan Singh, who used to teach yoga. But there have been plenty of topics on Sikhnet in which it became clear that yoga is only seen as an exercise (and yes, yoga is a good exercise...there was a show on PBS which displayed how yoga was actually able to help a person with a massive heart attack become functional again).

It is exercise!!! (Perhaps they should begin to teach Desis yoga too...on the average, how many of the Sikhs are in shape? I know for certain that I am not). Conversely, when one gets to read a Western Sikh talk about Sikhism, you can detect the purity of their views (as compared to Desis...who throw castes, Jathas and other pitiful things into the mix all the time) and display themselves to be very knowledgable.

• 3 weeks later...
wjkk wjkf..if u say guru maharaj nvr did yoga..then i should ask..wht was guru gobind singh doin in hemkunt sahib..sikhs yoga is diffrent..which is we do yoga..my deep meditation on gods name..

bhule cuke maaf..wjkk wjkf..

Yupp u r right veer/bhain ji !!!

But the 3HO yoga includes physical activity but Sikh's yoga is just sitting crosslegged(or other posture) and just do simran or remember God.

3HO people ALWAYS use "satnam waheguru" for their breathing exercises.

So in a way they also remeber waheguru during their Yoga.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• Topics

• Umm, that's totally irrational, bro. There are plenty of prakash-dara Singhs in Punjab (less than we'd like, but still plenty). No one cares that you are sabat soorat. It isn't 1986. You can walk around in chola, kurta-pajama, or jeans. Whatever. If you want the look @dallysingh101 is referring to, just go into a cheap clothing shop (not a Western-style mall) and buy some shirts for 250 rupees or a track suit for 2000 rupees. You'll get the cheap stuff made in some sweatshop in Bombay.
    • The Mind is Jyot Saroop (Waheguru), but the mind is under the influence of five evils… Through Naam Simran( Rememberance), the mind will begin to detach from evil, and get back to its original form ( MANN TU JYOT SAROOP HEH)… Until the mind breaks free from the five evils, one will go through the cycle of paap and punn….which leads to Karma… Naam Simran destroys past karma, and prevents new karma coming into fruition… I did this, I did that… This non realisation of the Jyot Saroop gives rise to paap and Punn, which in turn gives birth to suffering and misery…
    • I agree we're not born with sin like the Christians think. Also I agree we have effects of karma. But Gurbani does state that the body contains both sin and charity (goodness): ਕਾਇਆ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਪਾਪੁ ਪੁੰਨੁ ਦੁਇ ਭਾਈ ॥ Within the body are the two brothers sin and virtue. p126 Actually, we do need to be saved. Gurbani calls this "udhaar" (uplift). Without Satguru, souls are liable to spiritual death: ਜਿਨਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨ ਭੇਟਿਓ ਸੇ ਭਾਗਹੀਣ ਵਸਿ ਕਾਲ ॥ p40 Those who have not met Satguru Purakh are unfortunate and liable to death. So, yeah, we do need to be saved, and Guru ji does the saving. The reason Satguru is the one to save is because God has given Satguru the "key" (kunji): ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਹਥਿ ਕੁੰਜੀ ਹੋਰਤੁ ਦਰੁ ਖੁਲੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਗੁਰੁ ਪੂਰੈ ਭਾਗਿ ਮਿਲਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੭॥ In the True Guru's hand is the key. None else can open the door. By perfect good fortune the Guru is met. p124
    • That's unfortunate to hear. Could you give any more information? Who was this "baba"? He just disappeared with people's money? Obviously, you should donate your money to known institutions or poor people that you can verify the need of through friends and family in Punjab.
    • Sangat ji,  I know a family who went Sevewal to do seva sometimes end of 2019. They returned last year in great dismay and heart broken.  To repent for their mistakes they approached panj pyaare. The Panj gave them their punishment / order to how t make it up which, with Kirpa, they fulfilled.  They were listening to a fake Baba who, in the end, took all the "Donations " and fled sometime over a year ago. For nearly 4 years this family (who are great Gursikhs once u get to know them) wasted time and effort for this fake Baba. NOT ONLY this one fam. But many, many did worldwide and they took their fam to do seva, in village Sevewal, city Jaitho in Punjab. In the end many families lost money in thousands being behind this Baba. The family, on return, had to get in touch with all the participants and told them to stop.  I am stating this here to create awareness and we need to learn from whom we follow and believe. It's no easy but if we follow the 3 S (Sangat, Simran and Seva) we will be shown the light. As I am writing this the family in question have been doing the same since 2008 onwards and they fell for this Baba... it is unbelievable and shocking.  This am writing in a nutshell as am at work on my break so not lengthy but it deserves a great length.  Especially the family in question, who shed light on youngsters about Sikhi 20 plus years!! 

Important Information

Terms of Use