Asian/Black Sikhs

Akaali

Guest SikhForLife

i agree 110% with Gupt Fauj..

i dont think we should be wasting time doing yoga when other important things shuold be done..

if u want a exercise then go for a run.. dont sit there and breathe.. strenous exercises are better for the brain and body.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to a goree sikh marriage this weekend.It was amazing with *NO* rituals and simple marriage with anad karaj.I met one of the sikh shown in the pics above there.He is from singapore or malasiya andd was looking amazing in his bana.In marriage there were goree sikhs doing kirtan and it was amazing.They are so much into learning and doing things in sikh way.Almost all of umm know tabla and harmonium and they do amazing kirtan.I think instead of neglecting them because they folow yoga we shud teach them or tell them the real sikhi and beleive me they are amazing sikhs who respect guru sahibans like anything.

Please do not neglect them...but accept them and work together for improvements.Like we all are working on improving the punjabi sikhs.

Just a humble request.

Sat Sri Akal:

"I think instead of neglecting them because they folow yoga we shud teach them or tell them the real sikhi and beleive me they are amazing sikhs who respect guru sahibans like anything."

I think you have it backwards. They should be teaching Indian Sikhs how to be Sikhs!!!

Look, it is no secret that the majority of the Western Sikhs were introduced to Sikhism by Yogi Harbhajan Singh, who used to teach yoga. But there have been plenty of topics on Sikhnet in which it became clear that yoga is only seen as an exercise (and yes, yoga is a good exercise...there was a show on PBS which displayed how yoga was actually able to help a person with a massive heart attack become functional again).

It is exercise!!! (Perhaps they should begin to teach Desis yoga too...on the average, how many of the Sikhs are in shape? I know for certain that I am not). Conversely, when one gets to read a Western Sikh talk about Sikhism, you can detect the purity of their views (as compared to Desis...who throw castes, Jathas and other pitiful things into the mix all the time) and display themselves to be very knowledgable.

• 3 weeks later...
wjkk wjkf..if u say guru maharaj nvr did yoga..then i should ask..wht was guru gobind singh doin in hemkunt sahib..sikhs yoga is diffrent..which is we do yoga..my deep meditation on gods name..

bhule cuke maaf..wjkk wjkf..

Yupp u r right veer/bhain ji !!!

But the 3HO yoga includes physical activity but Sikh's yoga is just sitting crosslegged(or other posture) and just do simran or remember God.

3HO people ALWAYS use "satnam waheguru" for their breathing exercises.

So in a way they also remeber waheguru during their Yoga.