What Topics Are Affecting Sikhs In The U.K.?

SikhSpectrum

...why should a kid go to the Gurdwara if they're not getting something (kuraak) from there which at the very least should be knowledge and other things like spritiutal bliss, spirirtual development etc

I think this is absolutely key! But sadly you won't get any mention of spiritual development or even an identification of the tools in being able to discover such things from some of the characters who turn up to teach at Punjabi schools on a Saturday and Sunday morning. These people are as lost - or in some cases even more confused - than the children they teach!

Yes, teach the children Punjabi, teach them Gurmukhi but also teach them what it means to be a Sikh. Yet we wonder why children are drifting away from Sikhi even after being exposed to it from a young age. That's why I think teaching Sikhi should be the sole preserve of the parents or other close relatives who possess the necessary knowledge. The academical issues such as learning the language can be taught by people on the clock, but the REAL stuff that gets to the soul needs to be taught at home. If everyone in the child's life is clueless then I feel for the kid. :biggrin2:

Its so true when previous posters mentioned the economic woes of the Sikh community!

A Sikh Penji I know whose family live in a Council House due to bankruptcy because the main earner died was rejected for marriage by another family simply because they live in a Council House!!!

I know of many many Sikh Families in UK that are living in abject poverty, usually single parent familes where the farther died young because of alcohol abuse or just left them to fend for themselves! There is no support for these mothers often left with small 2-3 children with bills etc to pay... :sad2:

Guys- all is the same in every community - this is nothing new.

the difference is - situation is made worse by our community NOT having full faith in SGGS. we are the only commuunity with a live and well living and kicking Guru who will help us in dire need - there is everything in the SGGS - WE JUST NEED TO FOCUS ON IT FOR GUIDANCE. TILL WE DO - WE WILL BE DOOMED AS THE REST OF WORLD.

I'm glad people are finally noticing that the community isn't the super success 'story' the British media likes to paint (probably in desperation at having cocked up their attempt at multiculturism and needing token examples of a success?)

I REALLY noticed Sikh poverty as a teacher when some of the Sikh kids came in filthy clothes which hadn't been washed in ages. Plus you could tell their nutrition was lacking too.