Hhow To Bring Sikh Pride To Youth

hgsingh

I think appropriate male role models help too.

Genuine strong minded guys and not the sort of momma's boy who has no real experience of the world outside. Not some timid office worker with a big Merc and big house which all Panjabi parents seem to think we should aspire to. lol

Guys who truly 'love' their own people and aren't excessively judgmental about people's shortcomings. Someone with an independent spirit, who isn't a conventional drip - the kind of fudu our society seems to produce in droves these days.

We need role models and leaders from outside of the conservative brigade we have today who can reach those of our brothers and sisters who are on the periphery or even outside of the community for reasons largely beyond their control.

I think appropriate male role models help too.

Genuine strong minded guys and not the sort of momma's boy who has no real experience of the world outside. Not some timid office worker with a big Merc and big house which all Panjabi parents seem to think we should aspire to. lol

Guys who truly 'love' their own people and aren't excessively judgmental about people's shortcomings. Someone with an independent spirit, who isn't a conventional drip - the kind of fudu our society seems to produce in droves these days.

We need role models and leaders from outside of the conservative brigade we have today who can reach those of our brothers and sisters who are on the periphery or even outside of the community for reasons largely beyond their control.

This is exactly what I've been thinking for the past few months.

Someone with a zest for life and an independent, strong mind who isn't dominated by domineering parents, or brow-beaten by a controlling wife, or weighed down by the drudgery of domesticity cannot provide us with the answers. You won't get radical ideas and personalities emerging through the mundanity of a 9-to-5 life. I'm sorry but that is NOT where real leadership and genius comes from.

Good topic.

One idea might be for us (those of us already on sikhi path) to show pyare and wtka between us. If we did this those who have either gone away from sikhi or not looked at sikhi might come into sikhi. If they feel part of something strong they'll automatically want to learn more etc

Also we should look at changing the way we approach non-amritharis/apne who aren't on this path at current. If we dictate to them eg. Why aren't you religious why aren't u x y and z. They'll feel small (metaphorically) but if we slowly and I mean slowly bring sikhi into their lives eg. If they feel generally sad or need just a warm feeling with pyare suggest that they go gurdwara sahib or do simran; let them experience sikhi themselves at their own pace. Too often our amrithari youth preasure/look down at non-amritharis/non religious apne.

Also if a youngster approaches you about their own issues etc never judge them or turn them away. Instead talk with them in such a way they'll want to become like you. Let them see you as their "role model" it might get them into sikhi as the way you've handled their situation(s) could have a massive effect on them even from a sikhi prospect without you realising. Not been big headed but iv seen this happen myself.

We need to try and educate the youth about how amazing Sikhi is, a lot of them just do not know! And if traditional methods haven't pulled them in then we need to try something new. SikhiToTheMax for example made a huge difference. Others have started great projects like Vismaad producing Animated Films in English like Sahibzade. So lots of things can help.

Came across a very interesting read yesterday though over at: http://sikhanonymous.wordpress.com. They talk a lot of sense and talk about things that we can actually achieve, like how a Gurdwara experience should be. Managing to implement even just that would change things sooo much, see that particular post at: http://sikhanonymous.wordpress.com/2012/05/18/the-gurudwara-experience-spring-cleaning-part-3/

-------------------------------------------------------

Web: www.SikhiStore.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/SikhiStore

Facebook: www.facebook.com/SikhiStoreUK

The Gurdwara has an important role but we shouldn't overlook the fact that the majority of people who need it, rarely if ever attend the Gurdwara.

I think online videos that are done professionally and intelligently can play a big part in reaching the wider audience. People like 'Superwomen' or Jus Reign reach quite big audiences if their video view figures are anything to go by (but we shouldn't discount the fact that it could be a much smaller number who are watching the videos on repeated occasions).

If a large, otherwise inaccessible number of apnay can theoretically be reached via this medium, then the next thing we need to figure out is how we can put what is needed across in a fresh way that resonates. Presumably the personality (and sadly even looks) of any presenter will be of significance.

Holier than thou is definitely a bad idea in my book. Down to earthedness and a sense of humour are probably a good idea too?

Sikhs are taught by Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj not to have pride as such. Thus self-belief, self-realization and self-knowledge are the definition of true "pride" that the posters above refer to (please correct me if I'm wrong).

The Qurbani'ah that the great Shaheeds gave especially prior to 200 years ago are very hard to get over to the youth that lack self-belief actually thinking that "they" as youth should have pride about those Qurbani'ah "per se" given that they are living in the 21st century far detached from the times when every Sikh literally was a true Singh or Singhni

The key is that the youth understand why the Qurbani'ah were given (in terms of relating that to the 21st century) ... and furthermore understand that Sikhi is a revolutionary Truth which says all human beings are equal (and can only be distinguished by the goodness or lack thereof of their actions) and clearly such a philosophy implies that Sikhs cannot ever be inferior to anyone who ever tries to dominate us. The very fact that Sikhi teaches that the poor and downtrodden and oppressed are the worthiest of most respect ... should instill natural self-belief in a young person that Sikhi clearly is Truth and that there is nothing out there stronger than the Truth ... ie we have nothing to fear (except the righteousness of our actions relating to the level of seva we partake for our fellow human beings of whatever background).

For example, Bhai Lalo Ji (as one example from many) is someone we can have "pride" in as a true Sikh ... whereas Duleep Singh was hardly someone to be proud of (regardless of the colonial reasons behind that) ... ie if we understand that of the two ... Bhai Lalo Ji was the true Maharaja ... then the percentage of our youth that lack loha in their bloodstream will halfway be getting there