Picture

Guest a bit concerned

Is this bipran ki reet conversation going to go towards the faults of having images or pictures because they overlap idol worship and all that ?

Well, I'm sure no sikhs worship the pictures, but we respect them and would not place them lower than another picture of something else in our homes.

There is ABSOLUTELY nothing worng with using one of this pictures to help you focus on the ONE AKAAL PURAKH.

Infact in gurbani it advises us to do this to help meditate-

ang 864 SGGSji, Guru Arjan Dev ji

ਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਮਨ ਮਹਿ ਧਿਆਨੁ ॥

Gur kī mūraṯ man mėh ḏẖi▫ān.

Meditate on the image of the Guru within your mind

Is this bipran ki reet conversation going to go towards the faults of having images or pictures because they overlap idol worship and all that ?

Well, I'm sure no sikhs worship the pictures, but we respect them and would not place them lower than another picture of something else in our homes.

There is ABSOLUTELY nothing worng with using one of this pictures to help you focus on the ONE AKAAL PURAKH.

Infact in gurbani it advises us to do this to help meditate-

ang 864 SGGSji, Guru Arjan Dev ji

ਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਮਨ ਮਹਿ ਧਿਆਨੁ ॥

Gur kī mūraṯ man mėh ḏẖi▫ān.

Meditate on the image of the Guru within your mind

How and why do you respect an artists impression?! Sorry but thats ridiculous. That artist couldve painted anybodyyy, sold it off as a portrait of Guru Sahib and then it ends up being worshiped and respected.

I dont see why you need a painting done by any old 'artist' to help you focus. Why not have Gurbani calligraphy to help you focus?

Moorat could be in form of an image, a photograph, a painting, a statue even. Guru Maharaaj clearly says 'man meh dhiaan', not to physically have an image to aid your focus coz we're so weak that we need a false representation of Guru Sahib made up by some artist to help us.

How and why do you respect an artists impression?! Sorry but thats ridiculous. That artist couldve painted anybodyyy, sold it off as a portrait of Guru Sahib and then it ends up being worshiped and respected.

I dont see why you need a painting done by any old 'artist' to help you focus. Why not have Gurbani calligraphy to help you focus?

Moorat could be in form of an image, a photograph, a painting, a statue even. Guru Maharaaj clearly says 'man meh dhiaan', not to physically have an image to aid your focus coz we're so weak that we need a false representation of Guru Sahib made up by some artist to help us.

If you ask the mass majority who meditate, then most popular picture or portrait that comes to their mind is Sobha Singh's Guru Nanak Dev ji.

-This is a fact and you may check with todays artists ( where I got this from)

There is No Right or Wrong.

Whatever one feels comfortable with, then there is no stopping you.

If you need portrait, then so be-

If you need gurbani calligraphy with the words 'waheguru' or 'ek onkar' or otherwise, then so be aswell.

The method one uses should not be condemned or discouraged.

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa, Vaheguru ji ki Fateh Sangat Jio

Those Vadabhagi Gurmukh Pyare that have had the darshan of Guru Sahib will tell you that they look nothing like that photo of Sobha Singh, not even a tiny bit. So I can only suggest that that image shouldn't be used. That image shows a fat person with soft hands. Guru sahib was not fat or have soft hands as they used to do kethi so would have rough hands. Also they never wore a dastaar.

There are alot of people that I personally know of people who treat these photo's the same as Hindu's treat there idols. They do pooja to the photo's, light dhoof, jot etc infront of them. There is one person who keeps these photos of guru sahib and every night he puts them in bed and every morning gets them out of bed.

We don't have any "artist impressions" in our house. I am strongly against idol worship which certain backwards individuals carry out mindlessly like a robot! Sri Guru Granth Sahib Maharaj resides not far from my house so that's where I go when I want to see a REAL picture of the 10 Maharaj sahibs in my mind.

<p></p><blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="luckysingh99" data-cid="562072" data-time="1354933796"><p> </p>

<p>If you ask the mass majority who meditate, then most popular picture or portrait that comes to their mind is Sobha Singh's Guru Nanak Dev ji.</p>

<p>-This is a fact and you may check with todays artists ( where I got this from)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>There is No Right or Wrong.</p>

<p>Whatever one feels comfortable with, then there is no stopping you.</p>

<p>If you need portrait, then so be-</p>

<p>If you need gurbani calligraphy with the words 'waheguru' or 'ek onkar' or otherwise, then so be aswell.</p>

<p>The method one uses should not be condemned or discouraged.</p></blockquote><p></p>

Veerji im sorry for condemning, i realise im no one to do so. I do however discourage the use of paintings imagery etc. did sobha singh have darshan that he created a painting based on those darshan? No, he created a image of a bearded Sikh basurg. Thats all.

I ask for muafi if ive offended anyone.

“To be brief, Nanak’s followers scorn images. Their belief is that all Gurus are Nanak...They do not recite the mantras of the Hindus and do not pay respect to their idol-temples. They do not count the avtaras for anything. They do not have any attachment to Sanskrit, which the Hindus call the language of angels”

The above was noted by Persian historian Mobid, in his book Dabistan-i-Mazahib, written around 1645.

Translated by Irfan Habib and J.S. Grewal: Sikh History from Persian Sources (page 66).

Tuhilka, New Delhi (2001)

That's correct, they can be beneficial,especially when trying to teach kids.

However, we should also teach and clarify that you don't worship them and it is just a reminder to help you focus.

We should respect them and this is what the kids should be taught. Putting divas infront or thoof is not gurmat, so the ones that insist on doing this are sadly sending out wrong messages to the young generation.