Mom wont let me take amrit

Guest Want to

Live at least a full year in Abhiyasi - follow the rahet strictly - even practising wearing all panj kakkar. If you can manage that and it is not merely a routine, but makes you thirsty for more, then you are ready. However I agree that to do this, you need to first let your parents know. Your dad is on your side - which is good, so eventually your mom will come around to the idea.

Guest Want to

I never miss amritvela, dont eat meat, dont swear/foul language, I do seva, simran and I do wear my panj kakkars (I wear a small kirpan around my neck for the time being as people might say stop faking as an amritdhari :/) I will wait and prove to her that i am ready :)

but I just hope she'll let me

good luck singh i say go for it allow all these people telling you to wait or telling you your young! as long as its your own decision and you sound like you have thought about it so go do it but not in secret tell your parents straight up!

Don't wait, you are never young or old to take Amrit. We live in the western world where so many people put stress on how old the body is and then judge if the person has spiritual wisdom. The west waits till school teachers start teaching them education and then in return they term this as spiritual wisdom. But spiritual wisdom does not come with age or by secular school teachers. Spiritual wisdom comes with reading and understanding Gurbani and then applying the Gurbani in our daily life.

I don't know how much Gurbani you understand in Gurmukhi, but also start reading the english translations of Gurbani.

I say take Amrit as Guru sahib will do kirpa on you. But if you stop reading Gurbani, stop understanding Gurbani, then you may change into a different person. If you keep reading Gurbani and trying to understand Gurbani deeper after taking Amrit then you will change, but only change for the better and change into what Guru Sahib wants you to be.

Sikhs that state i want to be a Brahmgyani before taking Amrit have not understood what SatGur Parsad means. They still got their patient clothes on and are standing outside of the surgery room, doubting if the doctor knows what he is doing.

Wow!!! I am so proud of you. Amrit shakna is a hukum from our guru and we have to do that , I don't know why parents don't want to see their kids as amritdhari. I wish my parents had told me to Amrit shak when I was little so i wouldn't have wasted so many years of my life. I am married and luckily have a greAt partner who is willing to amritshak with me, so hopegully next year on baisakhi we ll go to india and amrit shak by baba ji 's ashirwad in Anandpur sahib. So I would say go Amrit shak and tell them after if they have a problem , but You have to promise your self that you will not do bedbi after and will be amritdhari all your life. If you think your mom will be embarrass if you take Amrit that you going to have beard and mustache and you will not look like gore with clean shave then I think she needs to learn more about sikhi , what our gurus did for us. Their little kids left the world at a very young age just for us. So I would say go for it. You shouldn't be scared its not like you want to be a gambler or alcoholic. Take wahegurus name waheguru will show you way. pul chuk maaf.

Go to this link and read the article, it may help: http://manvirsingh.blogspot.com/2006/04/i-want-to-take-amrit-but-my-parents_11.html

You said your mom wants you to be westernized, maybe you should explain to her that's not the best option. Tell her being an amritdhari will keep you in good sangat, and help u concentrate on your studies. That it's better to set the foundation now, because being amritdhari will keep you away from drugs, gangs, and clubbing that normal 'westernized' teenagers do in high school. Show her how typical teenagers just play video games, cuss after every word, etc. Tell her being amridhari will give you a purpose, a safe environment, and good friends.

She seems to be afraid of your appearence (beard, hair) tell her that it's illegal for ppl to discriminate, and just recently in CA a law was passed that made it illegal for employers to make ppl work behind the scenes, because of their apperance. etc.

Other than that, keep doing ardaas, and leave it to waheguru. Also you can set an age limit, be like 'mom i want to take amrit, if u don't let me now, i will take it at __16____(fill in the blank) no matter what' or ask your mom, if u think im to young now, when will i be old enough? and make her tell you an age

Guest Want to

@Savinderpal singh- of course I will carry a real kirpan after being blessed with amrit :). But its gonna have to be around 5 inches; our school has regulations on this.

thank you to all the sangat who are giving me the courage to carry on.

wjkk wjkf